• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. Have to hit in the draft to fill the holes.

If I had to guess on our "big" FA expenditures (and assuming Judon stays on the tag) it'd be DL and OL. Depending on what happens with Carr, I could see us also looking for a similarly versatile guy at a little cheaper rate.

i think we might take a corner in the draft somewhere - it's gone under the radar but this corner class is almost as good as the wr class

but you're right there's quite a few options on the corner market

it's really hard to pinpoint where we'll go in free agency because there arent great options where we have positions of need - definitely not on the IOL - maybe andrus peat...

maybe we go after gerald mccoy again...

im not in love with this free agent group tbh - i wonder if we'll even get involved in the early waves - might just sit it out and wait to see who's left

Simba

Staff Member
i think we might take a corner in the draft somewhere - it's gone under the radar but this corner class is almost as good as the wr class

it's really hard to pinpoint where we'll go in free agency because there arent great options where we have positions of need - definitely not on the IOL - maybe andrus peat...

im not in love with this free agent group tbh - i wonder if we'll even get involved in the early waves - might just sit it out and wait to see who's left

Wouldn't doubt it in regards to CB. Think they might prefer a vet since they clearly lost some faith in Averett last year, but that's not a huge priority.

Just think OL is particular is one that isn't strong in either FA or the draft. Could see a Peat-like signing that doesn't break the bank, but gives us another decent body.

DL is the one that I believe we absolutely should hit in FA. Think there are some underrated guys there that could make an impact - Shelby Harris, Jarran Reed, Maliek Collins, Jordan Phillips, Vernon Butler, David Onyemata, etc. Some more expensive and better than others, but think there's enough quality names there that we can find someone solid at the very least.

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I think it’s team philosophy to go after a corner at some point every draft granted the board allows it.

amik Robertson feels real strongly like a guy we would covet. I could definitely see him with our comp pick in r3

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think it’s team philosophy to go after a corner at some point every draft granted the board allows it.

amik Robertson feels real strongly like a guy we would covet. I could definitely see him with our comp pick in r3

i think there'll be 2 or 3 high-level slot prospects available either at the end of the 3rd or in the 4th somewhere and i would be very happy with us taking one in that kind of area particularly with tavon's injury history - amik robertson, josiah scott, darnay holmes (probably goes earlier than the other 2) - i really like josiah scott - both robertson and josiah scott even remind me of tavon in some ways with their tenacity and physicality at their size

i mean i hate player comps but amik robertson really reminds me of tavon young so it doesnt surprise me that you think we would covet him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wouldn't doubt it in regards to CB. Think they might prefer a vet since they clearly lost some faith in Averett last year, but that's not a huge priority.

Just think OL is particular is one that isn't strong in either FA or the draft. Could see a Peat-like signing that doesn't break the bank, but gives us another decent body.

DL is the one that I believe we absolutely should hit in FA. Think there are some underrated guys there that could make an impact - Shelby Harris, Jarran Reed, Maliek Collins, Jordan Phillips, Vernon Butler, David Onyemata, etc. Some more expensive and better than others, but think there's enough quality names there that we can find someone solid at the very least.

word around the insiders right now is that the DTs are going to get paid a lot more in general than people are expecting

Simba

Staff Member
word around the insiders right now is that the DTs are going to get paid a lot more in general than people are expecting

And I wouldn't be surprised if we're in that market. Arguably our biggest need and there are some pretty solid names available.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think there'll be 2 or 3 high-level slot prospects available either at the end of the 3rd or in the 4th somewhere and i would be very happy with us taking one in that kind of area particularly with tavon's injury history - amik robertson, josiah scott, darnay holmes (probably goes earlier than the other 2) - i really like josiah scott - both robertson and josiah scott even remind me of tavon in some ways with their tenacity and physicality at their size

i mean i hate player comps but amik robertson really reminds me of tavon young so it doesnt surprise me that you think we would covet him
robertson does remind me a lot of tavon young, because tavons most underrated facet is his ability to be an incredibly deceptive and high iq blitzer, and Robertson has that same skill set and maybe even better, I love when he’s playing his safety role, just a fun player to watch.

and fwiw I think the ability to blitz is the difference between an average and elite slot corner; they’re in the most prime position to blitz and if they have that ability to disguise it pre snap and then execute it, that’s when you get into the 5-10m a year range as a nickel. I believe that’s a large part in why tavon got money as a nickel that made everyone gasp, because he is just so damn sneaky and executed that part of his game so well, no player fits a scheme more perfectly than young does with wink, and Robertson is of the same mold

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And I wouldn't be surprised if we're in that market. Arguably our biggest need and there are some pretty solid names available.
Idk man, I agree that’s our biggest need, more than edge and ILB(although IOL is in the discussion) but I think Eric is gonna be frugal, he’s much more interested in keeping the band together than he is adding big names. I think it’s gonna be more of the same, nab a guy or 2 in the second wave, steal a cap casualty, then just wait it out and find a guy off the scrap heap later on, do the rest in the draft.

I’m just not seeing the resources or the names available to picture us doing that

Simba

Staff Member
Idk man, I agree that’s our biggest need, more than edge and ILB(although IOL is in the discussion) but I think Eric is gonna be frugal, he’s much more interested in keeping the band together than he is adding big names. I think it’s gonna be more of the same, nab a guy or 2 in the second wave, steal a cap casualty, then just wait it out and find a guy off the scrap heap later on, do the rest in the draft.

I’m just not seeing the resources or the names available to picture us doing that

I think we've seen being complacent isn't exactly EDC's strong suit. When CJ walked last year, he moved that money quickly to Earl. He pounced on Ingram. If there's a guy he's identified, I don't think he's going to wait.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think we've seen being complacent isn't exactly EDC's strong suit. When CJ walked last year, he moved that money quickly to Earl. He pounced on Ingram. If there's a guy he's identified, I don't think he's going to wait.
Do we have it this year though with all the extensions we’ve handed out?

Simba

Staff Member

Not a ton of cap, but enough to be aggressive on 1 or 2 guys if we wanted. I would expect that to be the case again. I know that the facade is always that we're patient, but recent history would show we've been a little more aggressive off the jump, and 2 of those years were with Ozzie at the helm, and EDC is much more aggressive.

Signed on the first day of FA:
2017 - Eric Weddle and Danny Woodhead
2018 - John Brown and Ryan Grant (kind of)
2019 - Mark Ingram and Earl Thomas

A little worse in the years before but we basically stayed out of FA as a whole there, because the whole Ray Rice aftermath coupled with Joe Flacco's contract had us in a terrible spot.

I wouldn't expect us to throw money at huge names, but I'm sure they have a couple of guys identified that they'll contact immediately.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

CB in the draft, you say?

FB_vs_Wisconsin_0013.jpg

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
We can lower Judon's cap hit by signing him long term and not take an option on Carr, although that one seems less likely, since we won't be able pay Jimmy Smith if we go after DL in free agency.

Simba

Staff Member
In other news, seems like FA is definitely going to be delayed though. Whispers are turning into speaking voices. Seems that's the expectation now :rolleyes:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Not a ton of cap, but enough to be aggressive on 1 or 2 guys if we wanted. I would expect that to be the case again. I know that the facade is always that we're patient, but recent history would show we've been a little more aggressive off the jump, and 2 of those years were with Ozzie at the helm, and EDC is much more aggressive.

Signed on the first day of FA:
2017 - Eric Weddle and Danny Woodhead
2018 - John Brown and Ryan Grant (kind of)
2019 - Mark Ingram and Earl Thomas

A little worse in the years before but we basically stayed out of FA as a whole there, because the whole Ray Rice aftermath coupled with Joe Flacco's contract had us in a terrible spot.

I wouldn't expect us to throw money at huge names, but I'm sure they have a couple of guys identified that they'll contact immediately.
In the years before Pitta and Monroe contracts didn't help much either.

Simba

Staff Member
In the years before Pitta and Monroe contracts didn't help much either.

I forgot - we did get Ben Watson on day 1 in 2016 as well. Just didn't play until 2017.

But yeah, times before that were just dark. Bad contracts and some things beyond our control. Lots of restructures to try to just keep up but it just hurt more in the future. Since we've been clear of those things, and especially the Ray Rice situation, we haven't been sitting idle. Not always a huge name but they aren't sitting on their hands at the start of FA. They identify guys and try to get it done. I'd expect nothing less this year.

Simba

Staff Member
Because I'm bored... just looking ahead to 2021 free agency, I'm not mad at all with what EDC has been able to do.

Really only 4 FAs that matter - Stanley, Judon (as of now), Koch, and Cox. Obviously the latter 2 aren't huge deals as far as money goes. I would expect us to work hard on Stanley before then and hopefully get it done. That would open us up to trying to get Humphrey done a year early as well. I feel like we're in a pretty damn good spot for the next couple of years on FA.