• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
CB in the draft, you say?

FB_vs_Wisconsin_0013.jpg

unfortunately he's a UDFA on my board - he's so long and that makes him at least marginally intriguing but basically not much else tbh

Simba

Staff Member
well now that the CBA has passed and the cap has been set 2m lower than expected we truly wont be able to make a huge splash on other teams's free agents

Yeah that hurts for sure. Plus, the added money from the minimum salary raises.

However, they did add a "keep your own" salary benefit. Can subtract $1.25M from the cap for 2 players that you've re-signed, so a little bit of added benefit there. Makes up for the slightly less than we expected cap, but still have those raises that will hurt.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah that hurts for sure. Plus, the added money from the minimum salary raises.

However, they did add a "keep your own" salary benefit. Can subtract $1.25M from the cap for 2 players that you've re-signed, so a little bit of added benefit there. Makes up for the slightly less than we expected cap, but still have those raises that will hurt.

yeah we'll see how those affect everything - brian mcfarland seems to think that we have now got about 17.4m in available cap space (that was assuming judon gets 16.3 on the franchise tag but looks like that number will now be around 15.8 so that puts us around 18m but the minimum salaries getting higher basically makes it a lot harder

more incentive to have a huge rookie class to save money on the minimum salaries lol

the benefit though is that there are a lot of teams that are hard up against the cap even before all of this which should mean far more decent cap casualties around this offseason for us to pick up

we can also still save 6m if we want to by not picking up carr's 4th option year

Simba

Staff Member
yeah we'll see how those affect everything - brian mcfarland seems to think that we have now got about 17.4m in available cap space (that was assuming judon gets 16.3 on the franchise tag but looks like that number will now be around 15.8 so that puts us around 18m but the minimum salaries getting higher basically makes it a lot harder

more incentive to have a huge rookie class to save money on the minimum salaries lol

the benefit though is that there are a lot of teams that are hard up against the cap even before all of this which should mean far more decent cap casualties around this offseason for us to pick up

we can also still save 6m if we want to by not picking up carr's 4th option year

So, just some really quick math here, which I'm sure isn't 100% accurate, but at least gives us an idea...

We're looking at about 25 players on minimum salaries, but not sure how exactly it affects vets under the minimum salary benefit. Regardless, lets just consider that a $2.5M hit. However, they also have the new rule where you can save $1.25M on the cap on 2 players that you re-sign, so call this a wash.

Salary cap came in $1.8M less than expected, but also Judon's tag came in $500K less than expected. $1.3M hit with the new rules and info today. Not too huge of a difference, but certainly makes things a little bit tighter. However, we also have to consider that we probably need a little extra in the emergency fund now that minimum salaries are higher, and it'll obviously be a little bit more of a hit filling out a 53 man roster. Based on my numbers from yesterday, you're probably looking at an extra $1M or so for the filling out of the roster.

I'd estimate the impact to be about $3-3.5M all in when you put everything together - cap coming in the less than expected, increase in minimum salaries, increases needs for emergency fund and draft pool.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So, just some really quick math here, which I'm sure isn't 100% accurate, but at least gives us an idea...

We're looking at about 25 players on minimum salaries, but not sure how exactly it affects vets under the minimum salary benefit. Regardless, lets just consider that a $2.5M hit. However, they also have the new rule where you can save $1.25M on the cap on 2 players that you re-sign, so call this a wash.

Salary cap came in $1.8M less than expected, but also Judon's tag came in $500K less than expected. $1.3M hit with the new rules and info today. Not too huge of a difference, but certainly makes things a little bit tighter. However, we also have to consider that we probably need a little extra in the emergency fund now that minimum salaries are higher, and it'll obviously be a little bit more of a hit filling out a 53 man roster. Based on my numbers from yesterday, you're probably looking at an extra $1M or so for the filling out of the roster.

I'd estimate the impact to be about $3-3.5M all in when you put everything together - cap coming in the less than expected, increase in minimum salaries, increases needs for emergency fund and draft pool.

do we know if the draft salaries have changed at all? because if they have it would mean we have to save more for the draft too

Simba

Staff Member
do we know if the draft salaries have changed at all? because if they have it would mean we have to save more for the draft too

Purely a guess, but I'd think it would have to be a yes. A lot of the late rounders are on a minimum base salary, so I'd assume they all get raises as well.

In most cases, I don't think this would affect too much, but with us being under 51 players currently, it'll probably affect us more than it would most teams.

So numbers could be a bit off, but I think you're looking at a minimum of about a $2.5M negative impact just including the lower cap than expected and the minimum salary increases when it comes to filling out our 53. I can't speak confidently on anything beyond that.

Simba

Staff Member
With all of that in mind, I think that makes the Carr decision much easier. I'd expect us to decline the option, let him test the market, and keep communication about a possible return at a lower rate. Don't think he'll have a huge market out there, personally. $6M is a big savings for us at this point, and despite how much they love him, I think they realize they can't pay that for a backup. Would think that puts Jimmy in a similar boat, but I never expected him back anyways.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Purely a guess, but I'd think it would have to be a yes. A lot of the late rounders are on a minimum base salary, so I'd assume they all get raises as well.

In most cases, I don't think this would affect too much, but with us being under 51 players currently, it'll probably affect us more than it would most teams.

So numbers could be a bit off, but I think you're looking at a minimum of about a $2.5M negative impact just including the lower cap than expected and the minimum salary increases when it comes to filling out our 53. I can't speak confidently on anything beyond that.

where are you seeing that we're under 51 - im pretty sure that right now we have 51 players under contract and de'anthony thomas has been signed too

From what i can gather only these teams are currently sub-51 players: chargers, vikings, seahawks, titans

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
the extension here is going to be really important though - he's got a base salary of 15m that we're going to have all of on our cap right now

would leave us with basically no room against the cap right now if we dont extend
According to pft we're taking the full $15 million cap hit.

Simba

Staff Member
where are you seeing that we're under 51 - im pretty sure that right now we have 51 players under contract and de'anthony thomas has been signed too

From what i can gather only these teams are currently sub-51 players: chargers, vikings, seahawks, titans

No you're right that's my bad. I counted on Wiki and forgot about the futures guys lol

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
apparently partly the reason the move was announced today is that we're close to agreeing a deal with Campbell's agent tom condon - apparently discussions have been ongoing for a few days

I have to wonder what the plan is. I mean he has a 15m dollar salary that he would not want to pass up on so I wonder what the Ravens plans to lower that number and make it more appealing are. Either way I would think this basically ends the Ravens time in free agency.