• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
All I know is there is a 'monkey see, monkey copy' attitude that is extremely prevalent among coaches and pundits that don't have direct access to certain players or are too lazy to do independent research. Even the supposed experienced ones do that and once it becomes a trend, it becomes a fashionable trend especially if they have a posse of copycat pundits regurgitating the same garbage over and over again. That perception (completely false) becomes their reality. Even, when they see evidence contrary to their imagined narrative, they tend to dig deeper because these idiots are not conditioned to accept their irrational and terrible takes. That gives them license to dig deeper into their narrated constructs. This isn't any big conspiracy theory, but the lazy dogma practiced by most of these morons that have supposedly spent decades making money off of terrible takes with no accountability. If they could realistically be held accountable for their takes, they wouldn't be analysts that would be employed to be meting out garbage and unfounded takes for decades in the first place! Lamar is a unicorn the likes of which these moron pundits haven't seen before. When you see a unicorn that is going to upend your entire analytical ability, then your only course is to own up to your idiocy or take cover with the same take dogmatically, even if you begin to look like an idiot. Sorry, I don't see the Lamar hate as any conspiracy. I see it as the majority of analysts being so wrong on Lamar (like they were on MJ in the 80s'), that it hurts their made-up brand to admit they were wrong! More importantly, in this age of the 24-hour social media cycles, click-baiting pays and keeps people employed. They've found out that not only are these takes by them not held to account, but they can also, in fact, expand their brand. So, they perpetuate the same nonsense over and over again, till even innocent fans of the Ravens fall prey to it.

Here is the thing I am absolutely sure of and that is that every single team's fandom has the exact same two beliefs: the media and the NFL are both against them and want them to lose/fail. Every single fandom has some segment of fans that buy into this conspiracy. The thing is it just does not make sense for either front. It especially makes little sense for the Ravens. The media and the NFL would LOVE for Lamar to be successful because his games are exciting.

Neither they nor the media have any interest in tearing him down yet all of the experts who have decades studying NFL QBs all say he is not a top tier or 2nd tier passer. So the 3 possible hypothesis are: all the NFL media has coordinated a massive campaign to tear down Lamar's ability to throw, all the NFL experts who have spent decades studying QBs somehow cannot accurate recognize Lamar's throwing ability despite having years of tape on it, or they do recognize it and see it as the weak point of an otherwise strong toolset. I employ Occam's Razor here and simply go with the latter because it is by far the simplest answer.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I don't see us cutting him, and even a trade would require something worthwhile back. More on Chuck's side honestly. He signed what turned into a team friendly deal. Don't blame him for wanting his money. Signed a solid deal but knows there's more to be made if he hits the open market and it's harder for him to get that second bigger deal with Hamilton in the fray now.
I mean... it was a team friendly deal the moment he signed it. He knew that. He got $5.1M per year with $10M guaranteed.
I'm sure he's not happy with the fact that he's only making $2.75M this year and made $2.5M last year.
Maybe he's earned a raise, but I'm not trading him for anything less than probably a 4th rounder or better (which we won't get) and I probably wouldn't trade him at all.
If he wants to walk as a FA in two years or possibly even be a cap casualty next year, that's fine. But I'm not trading the guy.

Simba

Staff Member
Don't even know what this is, but signals to me there was always intent to bring Houston back
This is basically a challenge to other teams to try to convince a veteran who probably wasn't going to participate in early offseason activities anyways to sign early. To me, it essentially signals that Houston will be back but he'll do so closer to or some point in training camp, just like last year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean... it was a team friendly deal the moment he signed it. He knew that. He got $5.1M per year with $10M guaranteed.
I'm sure he's not happy with the fact that he's only making $2.75M this year and made $2.5M last year.
Maybe he's earned a raise, but I'm not trading him for anything less than probably a 4th rounder or better (which we won't get) and I probably wouldn't trade him at all.
If he wants to walk as a FA in two years or possibly even be a cap casualty next year, that's fine. But I'm not trading the guy.
he is fantastic depth and a good starter and more valuable to us than most teams if not all teams in the league, even with Hamilton. Wink may be able to find a use for him in NY as well.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is basically a challenge to other teams to try to convince a veteran who probably wasn't going to participate in early offseason activities anyways to sign early. To me, it essentially signals that Houston will be back but he'll do so closer to or some point in training camp, just like last year.
That would be great as he continue to act as a mentor, bridge the Ojabo gap and chase a ring

Simba

Staff Member
That tender on Houston also apparently guarantees him a 10% raise on last year's deal. So I would imagine this was part of the discussion with Houston. Here's our number and if you can get better and want to sign early, go for it. If not, you come back and here's the salary you'll get.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
That tender on Houston also apparently guarantees him a 10% raise on last year's deal. So I would imagine this was part of the discussion with Houston. Here's our number and if you can get better and want to sign early, go for it. If not, you come back and here's the salary you'll get.
Fortunately his contract is pretty small so the 10% increase is still manageable. Now we just got add 1 CB and 1 WR. Then we're done.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Hopium.

God bless.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Say we did make a move for WR, DK would be the one that makes more sense if he's available. I don't think he'd hate our system, is going to get paid and seems to like blocking. Deep threat as well.