• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Bradberry to the Eagles

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Eagles fans pointing out that Reagor isn’t in any of their offszn hype videos. Speculating to a impending trade.

I wonder if we revisit the Jalen Reagor talks. I’ll be willing to toss a bone and hope Keith Williams and Tee Martin can turn him into something. Ben Powers or a 5th.. why not
If you get it for next to nothing let’s make it happen. Doesn’t hurt to give him a chance in camp

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its just sad seeing teams around the league take advantage of their franchise QB on rookie deals by surrounding him with weapons.

Meanwhile, Lamar had dudes like Seth Roberts, Retired Dez, Willie Snead, etc. I get this is Baltimore and we all love Defenses.. but damn… the front office didn’t do Lamar any favors at all
Which teams, specifically, have done this?
Like I don't see the Chiefs making a much bigger investment in weapons than the Ravens have. I'd argue the Ravens have done more, actually.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
the franchise tag increases every year by 20% i think...
so his 45m in 2023 becomes 54m in 2024

those 2 are probably manageable (just about) for 2 years
but if we want 2025 as well it starts ballooning... 65.5m fully-guaranteed all on the 1 year of the cap is basically untenable and debilitating to the prospects of the franchise

whatever happens, this will be resolved one way or another by march 2025 at the latest
Why would it be $45M in 2023? It's nowhere close to final, but the projected franchise tag for 2023 for QBs is $31.5M. I don't know if that's been totally adjusted for the big money deals from this offseason, BUT, I also don't know exactly how the franchise tag amounts are calculated. Average of the top 5 salaries in the league is the public metric, but I don't think that's in terms of AAV, because the math doesn't even line up for 2022's amount, which was just under $30M.
My assumption is that the 2023 franchise tag for QBs will be below $40M for sure, and I would guess in the $35M range.
So even at $35M, you're talking that for 2023, and then $42M for 2024.

I've posted this already in either this section or another, but basically, if Lamar wants to ride the franchise tag train, he can do that, but he's also going to need the understanding that just about every dime of available cap space this team is projected to have currently will be spent on just retaining him. That means the veteran WR everybody wants or the trade for a stud WR that we then have to sign long term is less likely to happen, especially when you really have no way of paying for that right now. Everything else you do will revolve around cutting existing players (which will happen for certain) and extensions or restructures of existing contracts, of which there aren't a ton of those left.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Which teams, specifically, have done this?
Like I don't see the Chiefs making a much bigger investment in weapons than the Ravens have. I'd argue the Ravens have done more, actually.

Cardinals with Kyler.
Eagles with Hurts.
Bills with Allen.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Cardinals with Kyler.
Eagles with Hurts.
Bills with Allen.
Well I had a hunch you'd say Bills, and then I'd ask who are these uber talented stud receivers that Allen has to throw to? It's Diggs and a bunch of other guys that can be found league wide. It's not like people think that guys like Davis, Sanders (who's not there anymore) or Knox are these like supremely talented playmakers.

Cardinals are certainly the gold standard, except they're already struggling mightily to win games even with a loaded receiving core. So if anything, they're one of the teams that would make you think twice about taking that approach, given the poor roster construction I think they have the moment.

Eagles I guess fit that mold to a certain point, though if I looked at their current roster of targets, I think it'd be hard to argue they're much more impressive than what Lamar had last year. Also a pretty good indication of why the Eagles were the most run-heavy team in the league last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Why would it be $45M in 2023? It's nowhere close to final, but the projected franchise tag for 2023 for QBs is $31.5M. I don't know if that's been totally adjusted for the big money deals from this offseason, BUT, I also don't know exactly how the franchise tag amounts are calculated. Average of the top 5 salaries in the league is the public metric, but I don't think that's in terms of AAV, because the math doesn't even line up for 2022's amount, which was just under $30M.
My assumption is that the 2023 franchise tag for QBs will be below $40M for sure, and I would guess in the $35M range.
So even at $35M, you're talking that for 2023, and then $42M for 2024.

I've posted this already in either this section or another, but basically, if Lamar wants to ride the franchise tag train, he can do that, but he's also going to need the understanding that just about every dime of available cap space this team is projected to have currently will be spent on just retaining him. That means the veteran WR everybody wants or the trade for a stud WR that we then have to sign long term is less likely to happen, especially when you really have no way of paying for that right now. Everything else you do will revolve around cutting existing players (which will happen for certain) and extensions or restructures of existing contracts, of which there aren't a ton of those left.

There are different kinds of franchise tag - I’d assume we’d put the “exclusive” tag on him so other teams can’t negotiate with him because if we get outbid all we get is 2 1st round picks

The exclusive tag is calculated differently and is projected to be around 45m in 2023

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
There are different kinds of franchise tag - I’d assume we’d put the “exclusive” tag on him so other teams can’t negotiate with him because if we get outbid all we get is 2 1st round picks

The exclusive tag is calculated differently and is projected to be around 45m in 2023
Ehh, maybe. There's going to be a pretty large difference between exclusive vs non-exclusive tag, and I actually don't think the market for Lamar at two first rounders + a $45-50M a year contract is going to be that robust. There's a lot of teams that would love to have Lamar, but I don't know if there's a lot of teams that would pay that price.

Plus, there aren't really many contracts a team could put out there that we wouldn't be able to match anyway.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ehh, maybe. There's going to be a pretty large difference between exclusive vs non-exclusive tag, and I actually don't think the market for Lamar at two first rounders + a $45-50M a year contract is going to be that robust. There's a lot of teams that would love to have Lamar, but I don't know if there's a lot of teams that would pay that price.

Plus, there aren't really many contracts a team could put out there that we wouldn't be able to match anyway.

i mean look at what the browns just gave for deshaun watson, a player who is older, has had less success, has a potential linger suspension for a bunch of civil cases where he's accused of sexual assault, and who drove his way out of his previous team

lamar's contract on the open market starts with watson's deal...

and watson got that deal while the texans also got 3 1st rounders...

lamar for 2 1st rounders is the biggest bargain in the league and no way the ravens risk that

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean look at what the browns just gave for deshaun watson, a player who is older, has had less success, has a potential linger suspension for a bunch of civil cases where he's accused of sexual assault, and who drove his way out of his previous team

lamar's contract on the open market starts with watson's deal...

and watson got that deal while the texans also got 3 1st rounders...

lamar for 2 1st rounders is the biggest bargain in the league and no way the ravens risk that
Well I obviously don't think Watson's deal is the new norm. I'm not sure you'll see anything close to that really. The AAV money will be there, but not in terms of guaranteed money.
I don't disagree that teams would give that up for him, but I think the list of teams that would is getting shorter. And as I said, I really don't see what contract a team is going to offer that the Ravens can't match.
Even if they offered the same deal as Watson, we "can" afford that. It'll just be a choice as to whether we want to or not.

If Lamar came to the Ravens today and said he was only accepting a deal very similar to Watson's, i.e. 5 years of guaranteed money at $230M, I'd put him on the trade block tomorrow and sleep very well doing so. With zero remorse.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Are there any potential June 1st Cuts that might be intriguing options? Usually we hear about teams needing to decide on a player by June 1st at this point, so was just curious if anyone might be released in a couple weeks that could help us.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Well I had a hunch you'd say Bills, and then I'd ask who are these uber talented stud receivers that Allen has to throw to? It's Diggs and a bunch of other guys that can be found league wide. It's not like people think that guys like Davis, Sanders (who's not there anymore) or Knox are these like supremely talented playmakers.

Cardinals are certainly the gold standard, except they're already struggling mightily to win games even with a loaded receiving core. So if anything, they're one of the teams that would make you think twice about taking that approach, given the poor roster construction I think they have the moment.

Eagles I guess fit that mold to a certain point, though if I looked at their current roster of targets, I think it'd be hard to argue they're much more impressive than what Lamar had last year. Also a pretty good indication of why the Eagles were the most run-heavy team in the league last year.
No way you just dismissed gabe Davis like that… he put up 4 tds in a playoff game last year and will be an upcoming dominate #2 wr in the league

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Tre Turner was released by The Raiders after they gave him contact which included 40k guaranteed. I know @Edgar mention how he liked him during his mock draft showing on his your e channel. I wonder if The Ravens will have interest