• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I see no reason Carolina would do this, especially after trading for Mayfield, but alas.

DJ Moore would be a perfect trade target for us. We can handle his salary this year and when it does jump up, it's not super unreasonable at all for the very productive player he his.

I would be very happy to give up a 1 for him, but again just don't see why the Panthers would do that

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I see no reason Carolina would do this, especially after trading for Mayfield, but alas.

DJ Moore would be a perfect trade target for us. We can handle his salary this year and when it does jump up, it's not super unreasonable at all for the very productive player he his.

I would be very happy to give up a 1 for him, but again just don't see why the Panthers would do that
lol yeah I mean he just signed an extension like 4 months ago. Can't see why Carolina would trade him.
For like three first rounders, sure. But I'd say its as likely the Panthers trade Moore as it is the Raiders trading Adams or the Dolphins trading Hill.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
lol yeah I mean he just signed an extension like 4 months ago. Can't see why Carolina would trade him.
For like three first rounders, sure. But I'd say its as likely the Panthers trade Moore as it is the Raiders trading Adams or the Dolphins trading Hill.
Yeah I know it's a joke lolol. It was just me wishing we had Moore lol.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Predictable. Thought they'd wait a little longer but I don't even know if they had enough room to sign Ojabo to his rookie deal, so they're pretty much overdue for it anyway.

Also would think that there's nothing imminent with Peters or Lamar on extensions, otherwise they probably don't do this move yet either.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Predictable. Thought they'd wait a little longer but I don't even know if they had enough room to sign Ojabo to his rookie deal, so they're pretty much overdue for it anyway.
I actually thought this would be done a few weeks ago, but agree it is predictable. I'm hoping when they know how Peters knee healed they will extend, which will also open up more cap space.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I actually thought this would be done a few weeks ago, but agree it is predictable. I'm hoping when they know how Peters knee healed they will extend, which will also open up more cap space.
I've been in the "against extending Peters" camp for a long time now. No way I do it before the season starts. I'm not giving a Corner, who turns 30 at the end of the season, and is coming off a major injury, any more guaranteed money, without seeing how he comes back first. Guys starting preseason on PUP list.
He returns and plays great, it's a somewhat easier extension to give him mid-season. If he doesn't play well, I'm thinking long and hard about whether he's a Raven next year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've been in the "against extending Peters" camp for a long time now. No way I do it before the season starts. I'm not giving a Corner, who turns 30 at the end of the season, and is coming off a major injury, any more guaranteed money, without seeing how he comes back first. Guys starting preseason on PUP list.
He returns and plays great, it's a somewhat easier extension to give him mid-season. If he doesn't play well, I'm thinking long and hard about whether he's a Raven next year.
exactly why I said, extend after they know how Peters knee healed. I'd like to see him extended, but for the right price.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting. Wonder what else this could be used for besides just signing Ojabo
At least half of it will be needed just to fill out the roster in September, cover IR designations, P/S, etc.
Realistically most of that money is already earmarked just for normal operations, as opposed to signing additional players.

If we were to sign anybody of actual note and $, it would likely require another restructure or extension to do it.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Tank

Hall of Famer
Dobbins worries me. He was busted up pretty bad his senior year in high school as well and missed the entire year. Hopefully he's not another in the long line of Ravens injury busts.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
in season acquisitions is my guess
I think people forget that the Rule of 51 is only an offseason rule. It's not an in-season rule.

Every team in the league is basically going to carry at least 69 players on its roster, of which 100% of them count against the cap. A 53 man active roster + 16 practice squad players. In reality, it's much more than that, because injured players count against the cap, just like dead money does.

I guarantee you if the Ravens sign basically nobody of note until the season starts, and they trim their roster down to the usual #, most of Marlon's cap savings will largely disappear. At least be cut in half. The Practice Squad alone will count likely north of $2M for a whole season.

And yes, in-season roster changes require cap space too. If a guy goes on IR, that opens up a roster spot. That roster spot will either be filled by a FA or by a PS member, who's then replaced by a FA. And all of those players count towards the cap.

It's why teams with large amounts of injuries and limited cap space have to constantly restructure contracts in-season. They're doing that purely to add like end-of-roster players just for bodies. They're not doing it because a big trade is happening.

For me, if we were to sign somebody "of note", like a Julio or Fuller, and they require much more than the league minimum (which they will), another contract restructure would probably be required to pull it off.

Peters and Lamar extensions are the optimal ways to free up space. Zeitler would be an option for some smaller relief.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

lol didn't JK just throw a fit because Rapport said he might not be ready Week1. To which JK responded hell be ready and wont even start on the pup...... One week later Rapport tweets JK is on the pup lol