• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
BREAKING NEWS: THE RAVENS HAVE TRADED FOR..... NOBODY...
It was a four-way trade, between us, the Colts, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, and the Vikings.

We give the Colts a seventh round pick for Jake Verity
We trade Verity to the Roughriders for Kaare Vedvik
We trade Vedvik to the Vikings for a fifth round pick

…but crazy part of this trade is that the Vikings have also signed free agent kicker Dan Bailey.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm going to guess the Chiefs had an out after two years or something. Thankfully we aren't dealing with him anymore.

Do players like these deals because it looks good? Having these fake years on the backend that we all know won’t be realistic, just for bragging rights with the annual avg

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Orlando really turned this down?

That 6th year was just a fluffed year to bring the avg up to 23 mil. I believe it’s around 18 mil if you removed that year, making him the 8th highest paid tackle or something.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Do players like these deals because it looks good? Having these fake years on the backend that we all know won’t be realistic, just for bragging rights with the annual avg

For a lot of players, or at least the ones with smart agents, they push for the highest guarantees as possible rather than the total number. Or for simple incentives that boost the pay.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

It sort of depends on the player and what the rest of the contract looks like.
I mean on a six year deal, how many years of guaranteed money is he really going to get anyway? For a non-QB, three years, max. Maybe two in a lot of cases.
So the player really doesn't care what the back-end looks like, so yeah, its an ego stroke basically.

Its also an easy way for teams to do cap manipulation. If you make a huge base salary on the back end, and it comes time to restructure or extend, its super easy to convert salary into bonus and kick the can further.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
yes
in reality it was basically the same base value as Ronnie Stanley (with a 40m 6th year he was never going to see) but with just over half the guaranteed money Stanley got... and stanley signed his deal 2 years ago
Bakhtiari and Stanley are both in the $60-65M guaranteed money range. So that's basically opening volley for Brown. If the Chiefs don't get there, I doubt he signs. He'll get that on the open market very easily if he makes it there next year.

The reports I've seen suggest a $30M signing bonus, which is obviously guaranteed, but I'd not heard specifics on the rest of the guarantees. If he was in the $60-70M range, I think its a good deal for him. If not, then I'm not touching it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bakhtiari and Stanley are both in the $60-65M guaranteed money range. So that's basically opening volley for Brown. If the Chiefs don't get there, I doubt he signs. He'll get that on the open market very easily if he makes it there next year.

The reports I've seen suggest a $30M signing bonus, which is obviously guaranteed, but I'd not heard specifics on the rest of the guarantees. If he was in the $60-70M range, I think its a good deal for him. If not, then I'm not touching it.

reports are that he got top notch right tackle money which would mean something like 40-45m fully guaranteed and somewhere between 50-60m total guaranteed over 4-5 years