• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If they don't re-sign him they'll have around $20M in cap space (after Lamar). I don't think they'll sit on that, so a comp pick is unlikely.
Can also be used to re-sign their own players (like Peters) that don't count against comp picks, or sign players who were released.
It's also net FAs lost and size of those FAs, so unless they sign somebody who's in similar price range to him (unlikely), they easily could get somebody pick.

You don't have to do nothing in FA to get comp picks.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Leonard and Warner are both at over $19M AAV, Mosley is next at $17 (years ago). I don't think Roquan is going to accept less than $19M, even if he comes in slightly below the top 2.

Generally I like the way the Ravens big salaries match with positional value but I'm not sure I love making Inside Linebacker one of the positions where they're spending big.
Sure, but that depends on where they value him at. He may not be valued at those players because he may not be as good as those players.

I personally am not worried about the positional value because, if I'm not paying Roquan, who am I paying? There's rarely any high end pass rushers, Corners or WRs available in FA. They either get kept or traded for picks + money.

If you want quality players at high-valued positions, you either draft them, or you trade draft assets for them and pay them tons of money. They're very hard to come by as straight FA acquisitions.

Not to mention that in the Ravens current roster situation, there's practically nobody else who warrants a large extension in the next few years. We've locked up pretty much everybody we want to, and players playing on rookie deals who are performing, like Oweh, Bateman, etc. are 2-3 years away from needing extensions. Assuming they get one at all.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The linebacker tag is almost $19M this year, so if Chicago did tag and trade they'd only be hoping for a Day 3 pick at best. The Ravens could have done that and kept their 2nd.

I still think it's an overpay for 9 games. The Ravens only got the equivalent of a 2nd for a full season of Orlando at (most would agree) a more important position.
I don't think RT is a more important position than ILB, no. I think they're at best on-par. Most teams are using mid-round picks to get starting RTs (which is also where we've found most of ours in the last decade +).

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
What are our thoughts on Chase Claypool? Its got to be somewhat intriguing for EDC...... He is a unique skill set that we don't currently posses at WR and he's proven to be a quality player with a real QB. I'd like him a hell of a lot more the Brandin Cooks. Seems sac religious for the Steelers to make a trade with us, but they are also an intelligent front office and know they need the picks for a guy that seems to be working his way out of the organization. Cap his minimal this year and next.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
What are our thoughts on Chase Claypool? Its got to be somewhat intriguing for EDC...... He is a unique skill set that we don't currently posses at WR and he's proven to be a quality player with a real QB. I'd like him a hell of a lot more the Brandin Cooks. Seems sac religious for the Steelers to make a trade with us, but they are also an intelligent front office and know they need the picks for a guy that seems to be working his way out of the organization. Cap his minimal this year and next.
Claypool is all bitch, don’t want him at any price

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Steelers won't trade him here and I don't think they're trading him at all, either.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Claypool is all bitch, don’t want him at any price
lol He is a Diva no doubt, but Its hard to blame him when his strength was the go route but Big Ben couldn't push the ball down field. Now he has rookie trying to learn.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
They made the move away from having to pay a WR when they traded Hollywood. It's not a position I see them getting back into that same situation with a different guy.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
They made the move away from having to pay a WR when they traded Hollywood. It's not a position I see them getting back into that same situation with a different guy.
While I agree, Claypool isn't going to cost anywhere close to what Hollywood would cost on a long term deal. Claypool is likely looking at one-year, prove it deals in FA in the near future to try to rebuild his value.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
We just filled a significant weakness with one of the best at the position in the NFL. Your spending draft picks next year at LB if you don’t make this move. So yea I love giving up a 2nd rounder, which is something like a 35% success rate of the course of a first contract, for a proven commodity that helps a win now.

Many folks don’t think MLB is of high value these days but I adamantly disagree. I’m pumped for the move. He and Marcus are the best tandem we’ve had since Ray and Ed

You may still be spending draft picks on LB next year if we aren't able to sign him back

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
While I agree, Claypool isn't going to cost anywhere close to what Hollywood would cost on a long term deal. Claypool is likely looking at one-year, prove it deals in FA in the near future to try to rebuild his value.
it's a bit too soon to say that. Maybe Pickett in year two can utilize him better in his contract year.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
You may still be spending draft picks on LB next year if we aren't able to sign him back
Your also not competing for super bowl with this defense this year without a significant upgrade like Smith. I get it, a 2nd round pick is nothing to blow off, but we've been begging for the Ravens to really go for it and they did just that. Suddenly the nay sayers are acting like that 2nd rounder would have saved our franchise next year, but again its something like a 35% success rate. Maybe we would have found a franchise player in the 2nd round next year or maybe we would have traded back into the third round for more picks and snagged another Ferguson, Boykin, Cleveland etc... we will never know, but I'm glad the Ravens are putting their chips on the table

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's a bit too soon to say that. Maybe Pickett in year two can utilize him better in his contract year.
I don't see him as being anything other than the #3 WR in that offense. I think he's going to get passed by Pickens in terms of targets by end of year, and right now, he's basically targeted as much as their TE. He could easily be the 3rd or 4th option in that passing game by end of season.

Ultimately I think they'll trade him in the offseason anyway.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
But see I don’t see anything he does as being disgruntled, he just be doin little bitch ass shit, shit a bitch would do, you know what I mean? like a little bitch.
As long as that bitch is catching deep balls for Lamar I'll take it. But honestly @rmcjacket23 is probably right , Steelers dont have a ton of incentive to trade him. Although @rmcjacket23 whiffed big time on Roquan!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't see him as being anything other than the #3 WR in that offense. I think he's going to get passed by Pickens in terms of targets by end of year, and right now, he's basically targeted as much as their TE. He could easily be the 3rd or 4th option in that passing game by end of season.

Ultimately I think they'll trade him in the offseason anyway.
but I believe he has #2 WR talent. I'm not saying he's going to get 20m per year, but I think he is better than a 1 year prove it deal. However that that may happen if Pickens doesn't improve much next season.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
As long as that bitch is catching deep balls for Lamar I'll take it. But honestly @rmcjacket23 is probably right , Steelers dont have a ton of incentive to trade him. Although @rmcjacket23 whiffed big time on Roquan!
Ehh, I "sort of" whiffed. I expecting him to be on the radar, but I thought there were too many barriers to him being here.

Though if you read my reasons, the Bears covered some of them, i.e. they're paying pretty much all of his salary. That was the biggest deterrent was fitting him in the current cap model.

I'm still yet to be sold that he'll be here long-term, however. I would hope so, but there's a lot of moving pieces there that I think need to be fixed first.

I'll also be the one to say that I still am not entire sold that the Bears should have traded him. I get why they did, and it may work out, but like these aren't like world-beating draft picks. A late second rounder is nice, but they're trading away several of their better players on defense, and that's probably the better side of the ball for them.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Your also not competing for super bowl with this defense this year without a significant upgrade like Smith. I get it, a 2nd round pick is nothing to blow off, but we've been begging for the Ravens to really go for it and they did just that. Suddenly the nay sayers are acting like that 2nd rounder would have saved our franchise next year, but again its something like a 35% success rate. Maybe we would have found a franchise player in the 2nd round next year or maybe we would have traded back into the third round for more picks and snagged another Ferguson, Boykin, Cleveland etc... we will never know, but I'm glad the Ravens are putting their chips on the table

Hey yo, get Cleveland off this post. He's going to be a great RG

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
not against the trade, but that trade down into the 3rd could also net us another Andrews or Orlando Brown also. That being said, we need Roquan Smith now.