• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
Also was just thinking… we (myself included) keep saying RB3 here but there’s a real chance we could be talking about RB2. Yes Williams looked good and yes he should get an opportunity, but we can’t act like he’s some sure thing. He could just as easily falter and we need someone to step into that role.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Crazy thought here, but do you think there's any chance we actually see Bell at WR. Even if it's like one or 2 snaps a game?
People hate to admit but bell was hands down the best pass catching back in nfl and not talking about little swing routes. Dude actually could catch and run some decent routes

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
People hate to admit but bell was hands down the best pass catching back in nfl and not talking about little swing routes. Dude actually could catch and run some decent routes

I thought I remember him playing tiny amounts of WR for Pitt in addition to catching out of the backfield

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also was just thinking… we (myself included) keep saying RB3 here but there’s a real chance we could be talking about RB2. Yes Williams looked good and yes he should get an opportunity, but we can’t act like he’s some sure thing. He could just as easily falter and we need someone to step into that role.
I think for me it's making sure Bell doesn't walk in day 1 and start playing over Williams. I don't think he's earned that by any stretch of the imagination.
I'm willing to let Williams go the Ingram route of 2020. He gets snaps, he gets carries. If he's not getting it ton and its clear there are better backs on the roster, then im fine burying him on the depth chart.

When comparing Williams in preseason and based on the reports of his camp activity to LeVeon Bell's output and productivity for the last like 2-3 years, I want Williams getting the reps first. If he sucks, he sucks. I want him the opportunity to do either.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think for me it's making sure Bell doesn't walk in day 1 and start playing over Williams. I don't think he's earned that by any stretch of the imagination.
I'm willing to let Williams go the Ingram route of 2020. He gets snaps, he gets carries. If he's not getting it ton and its clear there are better backs on the roster, then im fine burying him on the depth chart.

When comparing Williams in preseason and based on the reports of his camp activity to LeVeon Bell's output and productivity for the last like 2-3 years, I want Williams getting the reps first. If he sucks, he sucks. I want him the opportunity to do either.

Exactly. Let Williams have his opportunity first and see what happens. If he can't be a dependable back-up to Gus then let Bell earn his playing time by showing it in practice and make Bell prove that he can be a good fit for this offense.

Simba

Staff Member

Agreed completely. Williams should absolutely get the first crack at it. Just saying that there’s no guarantee there where we’ve all kinda been acting like he’s the guaranteed RB2. He is for the time being but it’s not locked he’s locked in there if he doesn’t do well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed completely. Williams should absolutely get the first crack at it. Just saying that there’s no guarantee there where we’ve all kinda been acting like he’s the guaranteed RB2. He is for the time being but it’s not locked he’s locked in there if he doesn’t do well.

and i think this is what will happen - bell's gonna start on the practice squad and if cannon really does get that last 53 man spot (or even PS spot), it's likely that bell isnt playing week 1 and williams gets a good crack against that Vegas front

what williams has going for him (beyond his youth and his running) is the way he pass protects - he's not a receiver like Bell but he's shown up really well in pass pro and also as a blocker downfield for the QB etc.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

I gotta disagree. Given the proper reps , Bell is going to be better than Edwards and Williams. I think Bell becomes RB1 by week 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I gotta disagree. Given the proper reps , Bell is going to be better than Edwards and Williams. I think Bell becomes RB1 by week 6

Would be shocked if this happens. I think its more likely he's unemployed entirely by week 6. Guy has not been a productive NFL back since 2017. I don't know why 2021 would be any different.

"Proper reps" for Bell to put up even average production in this league is 300+ touches. He can't handle that workload anymore, the Ravens offense doesn't lend itself to such usage, and there's no scenario I see where any NFL team has a good offense with Bell getting 300+ touches.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would be shocked if this happens. I think its more likely he's unemployed entirely by week 6. Guy has not been a productive NFL back since 2017. I don't know why 2021 would be any different.

"Proper reps" for Bell to put up even average production in this league is 300+ touches. He can't handle that workload anymore, the Ravens offense doesn't lend itself to such usage, and there's no scenario I see where any NFL team has a good offense with Bell getting 300+ touches.

I based my guess off absolutely nothing other than my desperate hope that being with a run first championship team reenergizes him. Also would bring a smile to my face watching/listening to Pitt fans complain about him doing well in Baltimore.

Dirt1

Practice Squad
You’re sleeping hard on Gus

Agreed. I think Gus is going to have a monster season. If Bell is motivated, I could see him moving into Gus’s old role as RB2 when Dobbins was healthy. I still have high hopes for Ty’Son Williams this year though. That dude looks hungry.