• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’d really like a shanahan disciple at OC. It maintains the run heavy and TE centric passing game but also does a lot to create space and comfort for your qb and allow you to pass out of run personnel, allowing for more hurry up offenses with a full playbook. Then Lamar’s threat of a bootleg and jk dobbins cutback and acceleration will make the stretch game absolutely deadly, the backside squeeze defender will always be in conflict, Lamar is on some telepathic shit with andrews so those TE boots will work so damn well, Bateman streaking deep from the backside while Andrews is in the intermediate all while LBs are cheating up in case Lamar tucks and runs.

I have thought for years and still believe a shanahan style offense would be lethal for Lamar, he’d have to get used to playing more under center and it takes away the read option, but frankly I’m a little tired of the read option and it’s lost a lot of it’s effectiveness with time and it’s not a wise way to play a likely $50m qb

the problem with a shanahan type offence right now is we dont have the OL personnel to run it i dont think - obviously there's benefits and especially because statistically zone teams are better off play-action than teams that privilege other running schemes more

i also think shanahan offences can get really bunched and tight with heavy personnel also and lamar as a passer seems to be at his best when we spread teams out

i think if we brought in a shanahan disciple to run that kind of offence we'd have to be pretty busy this offseason bringing in personnel on offence to run it and that takes away a fair amount of resources that we might need to spend on defence - im not sure that our OL personnel right now is a great fit in a shanahan offence

if we were looking for someone who's a shanahan type of guy then rich scangarello would make a lot of sense

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the problem with a shanahan type offence right now is we dont have the OL personnel to run it i dont think - obviously there's benefits and especially because statistically zone teams are better off play-action than teams that privilege other running schemes more

i also think shanahan offences can get really bunched and tight with heavy personnel also and lamar as a passer seems to be at his best when we spread teams out

i think if we brought in a shanahan disciple to run that kind of offence we'd have to be pretty busy this offseason bringing in personnel on offence to run it and that takes away a fair amount of resources that we might need to spend on defence - im not sure that our OL personnel right now is a great fit in a shanahan offence

if we were looking for someone who's a shanahan type of guy then rich scangarello would make a lot of sense
I’m not entirely sure we lack the personnel though. I’d imagine stanley, bozeman, and zeitler are all solid options to run that, Cleveland and phillips probably not so much, but Cleveland I think with time could develop because he’s got that natural ability to wall off gaps with his length, I don’t think it’s too far off. I think the biggest adjustment would be for Lamar.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m not entirely sure we lack the personnel though. I’d imagine stanley, bozeman, and zeitler are all solid options to run that, Cleveland and phillips probably not so much, but Cleveland I think with time could develop because he’s got that natural ability to wall off gaps with his length, I don’t think it’s too far off. I think the biggest adjustment would be for Lamar.

for sure i know zeitler's a good zone blocking guard and i imagine stanley would be a good zone blocking LT - not sure about bozeman but he could be

maybe it works but idk

but this is all moot because based on all this ive just gone and watched a bunch of 49ers tape (especially the stuff from 2021 including the trey lance stuff) and Shanahan actually calls a bunch of power and gap runs anyway combined with some wide zone

so forget everything i said about the zone stuff lol (obviously they still run it but it's not the only thing they run - especially when they had a QB who's part of the running game)

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know we feel confident in our WRs, but there are some really talented guys that may fall to us if we lose these last two. I wouldn’t put it past EDC to give Lamar another play maker. Garret Wilson , Jameson Williams, Treylon Burks , Chris Olave….. could get interesting in OL/CB options are thin when we pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simba

Staff Member
I know we feel confident in our WRs, but there are some really talented guys that may fall to us if we lose these last two. I wouldn’t put it past EDC to give Lamar another play maker. Garret Wilson , Jameson Williams, Treylon Burks , Chris Olave….. could get interesting in OL/CB options are thin when we pick

I would be stunned if they drafted another WR early. There’s been a heavy investment there in the last 3 years. There’s BPA and then there’s just overkill.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I would be stunned if they drafted another WR early. There’s been a heavy investment there in the last 3 years. There’s BPA and then there’s just overkill.

that would be 3 1st rounders in 4 years (and 2 3rd rounders)

im never going to say never but it would be wildly unlikely - as soon as you get to day 2 it becomes more reasonable (if still unlikely) just because there may be more likely to be significant value there historically

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
for sure i know zeitler's a good zone blocking guard and i imagine stanley would be a good zone blocking LT - not sure about bozeman but he could be

maybe it works but idk

but this is all moot because based on all this ive just gone and watched a bunch of 49ers tape (especially the stuff from 2021 including the trey lance stuff) and Shanahan actually calls a bunch of power and gap runs anyway combined with some wide zone

so forget everything i said about the zone stuff lol (obviously they still run it but it's not the only thing they run - especially when they had a QB who's part of the running game)
I just really like the stretch with a back like dobbins and the threat of Lamar on the bootleg, and I love the idea of stretching the field horizontally and putting defenders in a track meet and conflicting them with depths and levels with the threat of Lamar taking off. I just feel like a qb like Lamar could revolutionize that school of offense, and if trey lance is an nfl qb we might get to see exactly that in SF

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I do think it’s a slim chance but I feel like Jameson Williams could be a wild card, BPA is just how we roll for the most part and while I’m sure Eric could justify a number of other guys at different positions as BPA, Jameson Williams might be a little too exciting to pass up.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do think it’s a slim chance but I feel like Jameson Williams could be a wild card, BPA is just how we roll for the most part and while I’m sure Eric could justify a number of other guys at different positions as BPA, Jameson Williams might be a little too exciting to pass up.

It would be insane to watch that offense . EDC has already shown he likes to make some flashy picks/signings so who knows. Won’t meant squat if Lamar has no time unfortunately.

I’d like to keep Hollywood , but he maybe the odd man out when it comes to contracts. You pay Marlon, Stanley, Andrews, and Lamar in the near future. Is there enough for Hollywood ?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
It would be insane to watch that offense . EDC has already shown he likes to make some flashy picks/signings so who knows. Won’t meant squat if Lamar has no time unfortunately.

I’d like to keep Hollywood , but he maybe the odd man out when it comes to contracts. You pay Marlon, Stanley, Andrews, and Lamar in the near future. Is there enough for Hollywood ?

Andrews was already paid, no? Same for Marlon?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He looked better last year at LG than he has this year at C. Feel like I’ve seen Bozeman getting pushed back a bit more than he should be for a C.

I don’t think that’s true tbh - think he was getting beat in pass pro far more often at LG than C and while he was a good pulling guard he was less effective in driving guys off the line in more conventional blocks from that position

I don’t think he’s got a high ceiling at C but I think he’s a better C than LG

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
if im looking at outside hires im probably taking a look at Pep Hamilton, Mike Kafka, Ken Dorsey and Joe Brady
All of these would be great options and I've mentioned Pep Hamilton as an option due to his has experience with Luck and Herbert, but the rest have experience with young QBs also. This offseason will be interesting to follow, especially if we are looking to replace Roman. I still think Urban would be an option also.
Stanley also

Last edited:

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yea they both were. I’m just saying the fair but large deals of Stanley, Andrews, Marlon, and soon Lamar will stack up. Making it more difficult to keep someone like Hollywood if he wants big money

Dirt1

Practice Squad
Yea they both were. I’m just saying the fair but large deals of Stanley, Andrews, Marlon, and soon Lamar will stack up. Making it more difficult to keep someone like Hollywood if he wants big money

I suspected that the Ravens drafted Bateman as a hedge against resigning Marquise. I think Marquise is another one of those good players who may want to be paid like a great player. I am still not convinced that the Ravens will definitely pick up his fifth year option. We will find that out after this season.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I suspected that the Ravens drafted Bateman as a hedge against resigning Marquise. I think Marquise is another one of those good players who may want to be paid like a great player. I am still not convinced that the Ravens will definitely pick up his fifth year option. We will find that out after this season.

I have a feeling Bateman steps up in a big way next year. Hollywood is a match up nightmare with his speed but he has always struck me as a bitch. Talking shit on social media after losses and avoiding contact at all cost. I’d like to avoid that type of player for the long term. The Ravens are definitely going to pick up his 5th year option though, long term contract is separate discussion. I think he’ll price himself out of town.

Last edited:

Simba

Staff Member
I have a feeling Bateman steps up in a big way next year. Hollywood is a match up nightmare with his speed but he has always struck me as a bitch. Talking shit on social media after losses and avoiding contact at all cost. I’d like to avoid that type of player for the long term. The Ravens are definitely going to pick up his 5th year option though, long term contract is separate discussion. I think he’ll price himself out of town.

But like, what do you expect him to do? He's probably in the 160s. He's not running through anybody. It's partially a business decision but it's also smart for a guy of his size to not take unnecessary hits. It's not like he's leaving yards on the field in all honesty.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
But like, what do you expect him to do? He's probably in the 160s. He's not running through anybody. It's partially a business decision but it's also smart for a guy of his size to not take unnecessary hits. It's not like he's leaving yards on the field in all honesty.

1. It’s not a show stopper or that big of a deal. Just nitpicking
2. He absolutely leaves yards on the field. 100%. It just hasn’t cost us
3. I expect him not to run backwards to avoid contact, i don’t expect him to be Anquan Boldin. give me a break Some of these CBs aren’t much bigger.
4. I think this has no bearing on the Ravens resigning him. It will come down to dollars after his 5th year.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
1. It’s not a show stopper or that big of a deal. Just nitpicking
2. He absolutely leaves yards on the field. 100%. It just hasn’t cost us
3. I expect him not to run backwards to avoid contact, i don’t expect him to be Anquan Boldin. give me a break Some of these CBs aren’t much bigger.
4. I think this has no bearing on the Ravens resigning him. It will come down to dollars after his 5th year.

I mean you did say he plays like a bitch so it seems like a big deal to you lol. And he isn’t leaving yards in the field. He’s running backwards to try and make guys miss. He’s doing the complete opposite of what you’re insinuating