• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agree entirely. Can't judge the FA period until it's over.

it's also inevitable that we'll add guys in the 2nd and 3rd wave of free agency who will have an impact on our team under the radar like we do every year

with the williams signing i think it's unlikely we're looking at conserving comp picks this year as the best we'll likely be able to get from this free agent crop is probably a 5th (if even that) now that we've signed williams... so it may well be that we dont wait for the comp pick cut-off date this year and our 3rd wave of free agency comes earlier too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not saying all of them are necessarily fits here, but day 2 of the T class is pretty strong... Faalele, Raimann, Smith, Rhyan, Walker, etc. Should really open us up for a pass rusher or a CB in round 1, pending someone worthwhile is there of course.
This is what I’m saying. This OL class is beyond loaded on day 2, and an aspect that is never mentioned is the effect that has on where these guys are selected. Every year when we have a class that is very deep at a select group, it pushes guys way down the board, because in round 1 teams will say “we can find a guy on day 2” and when enough teams say that, you end up with those fringe first guys going mid to late second.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If it was up to me...

C - add via FA
EDGE - add via FA and/or draft high
OT - draft decently high
DT - draft decently high
CB - draft decently high and maybe add a slot guy later in FA
ILB - stopgap (e.g. Bynes) and/or mid round pick
TE - mid-late round pick
RB - mid-late round pick

i think if we can add a C who we can trust to start for us in free agency then we're fairly free to draft BPA - obviously we'll hope that one of those top 4 edges, top 3 OTs or top 2 CBs are there at 14 for us to pick but we'll have enough with big additions at C and S that we dont need to force anything

ideally all 4 of our day 1 and 2 picks address EDGE, CB, OT and DT in some fashion but there's certainly no need to force it (especially in round 1 and 2)

i like the depth in this RB class, i like the depth in this TE class, it feels like there's quite a few viable LBs too - good draft to hope to acquire depth at those positions in day 3

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's also inevitable that we'll add guys in the 2nd and 3rd wave of free agency who will have an impact on our team under the radar like we do every year

with the williams signing i think it's unlikely we're looking at conserving comp picks this year as the best we'll likely be able to get from this free agent crop is probably a 5th (if even that) now that we've signed williams... so it may well be that we dont wait for the comp pick cut-off date this year and our 3rd wave of free agency comes earlier too
Well that's possibly a product of us thinking our UFAs aren't going to land big deals anyway. Bozeman would likely be the highest paid of our UFA group. Like if somebody like Averett is only going to net you a 5th or 6th round comp pick, there's not much motivation to protect those. I understand we value all of them, but lets face it, historically, we value those 3rd-5th rounders.

Our UFA class is large in terms of depth and solid players, but lacking in star power and likely won't yield deals of the Judon, ZaDarius Smith, etc. levels.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'll be interested to see what happens in the first couple rounds of the draft. Taking another Corner like a Stingley means we can probably move Marlon into the slot more if we want to. One could make the case our best defenses in the last couple years have been with Marlon in the slot and Jimmy/Peters outside.

Or they could opt to go for a slot corner in the middle rounds.

My opinion of the first round has been the same... I want playmakers. I want people that can either create turnovers or score touchdowns... or both. Offensive lineman don't fit that mold. I'm not a big fan of taking Olineman in the first round that aren't LT's, and especially as high as 14.

I think a Corner or a Pass Rusher are likely to still be in play in the first round, unless we manage to land some like super-stud pass rusher like a Chandler Jones, which I highly doubt.

I think we'll get a Center here in FA and we'll target Tackles on day 2 and day 3.

generally i agree although if one of the top 3 OTs is there, im taking them... they may play RT for us but they're LT quality and the kind of prospects you dont pass over just because they arent sexy

but the likelihood is that they're long gone by 14

think it's likely that if any of the top prospects make it to us it's going to be at CB or EDGE - and if none of them do then it still might be EDGE or CB (but also might be DT)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If it was up to me...

C - add via FA
EDGE - add via FA and/or draft high
OT - draft decently high
DT - draft decently high
CB - draft decently high and maybe add a slot guy later in FA
ILB - stopgap (e.g. Bynes) and/or mid round pick
TE - mid-late round pick
RB - mid-late round pick
Sounds amazing

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not saying all of them are necessarily fits here, but day 2 of the T class is pretty strong... Faalele, Raimann, Smith, Rhyan, Walker, etc. Should really open us up for a pass rusher or a CB in round 1, pending someone worthwhile is there of course.

think rhyan's probably a guard and i while i dont get it, raimann is consistently getting mocked in R1

but yeah day 2 has a ton of tackles and projected guards who've played tackle in college - if we could somehow land Faalele, Tyler Smith or Rasheed Walker that would be awesome

worst case might be someone like jamaree salyer who projects to be a guard but may well have 5 position flexibility in a pinch (would be interested if we drafted him to see if we think about converting him to C where he started a game or 2 in 2019)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is what I’m saying. This OL class is beyond loaded on day 2, and an aspect that is never mentioned is the effect that has on where these guys are selected. Every year when we have a class that is very deep at a select group, it pushes guys way down the board, because in round 1 teams will say “we can find a guy on day 2” and when enough teams say that, you end up with those fringe first guys going mid to late second.

we saw it only last year with guys like Sam Cosmi and Dillon Radunz who i thought were more like early 2nds but saw a load of boards with R1 grades on them and they both made it to the 50s

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well that's possibly a product of us thinking our UFAs aren't going to land big deals anyway. Bozeman would likely be the highest paid of our UFA group. Like if somebody like Averett is only going to net you a 5th or 6th round comp pick, there's not much motivation to protect those. I understand we value all of them, but lets face it, historically, we value those 3rd-5th rounders.

Our UFA class is large in terms of depth and solid players, but lacking in star power and likely won't yield deals of the Judon, ZaDarius Smith, etc. levels.

that's exactly my point - especially now that we've landed williams, there's no point quibbling over a potential 6th rounder in a years time

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@Dom McRaven Smith or Jones, brother?
1647369855586.png