• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What’s the rule for IR-designated to return tag nowadays? I know it used to be that we gotta squeeze em into the 53 then IR them. Is it new with the covid rules?

Plus how many players can return? This gonna be a tough cut this year. We got so much depth

got to make the roster first
but doesnt matter for ojabo because he'll start on PUP most likely (who don't have to be on the initial 53) which means there's no need for any cutdown day shenanigans with him

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
Nice job getting Houston back, very good news. Love how the dude plays.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Excited to have Houston back officially. That puts him, Oweh, and Hayes as your top 3 week 1, with some hope for Bowser potentially as well. Leaves Biegel, Means, and Moon fighting for OLB4/5, and Ojabo in the pipeline for later in the season hopefully.

this signing puts me at 53 on the roster now if i assume one of biegel/moon/means makes it
and with only 4 WRs making it...

if we add a WR we expect to make the roster, with the roster in the state it's in right now - not sure who i see making it

especially as my calculations have assumed (so far) that ben powers isn't making it... which he still might

would we do something with Tony Jefferson getting cut, getting signed to the practice squad and then getting elevated?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Watkins is a former first round receiver that still has major ability and upside. His issue in his career has always been his inability to stay healthy. I wouldn't even look to compare him and James Proche at all because they bring a different skillset on the field and Watkins has just been a more accomplished receiver/player. The Ravens simply weren't going to pay what they paid Sammy Watkins to bench him for James Proche. Watkins did receive less snaps on offense later on in season though and The Ravens didn't even bother to re-sign him even when they knew Hollywood Brown was on the trade block.

Honestly Proche did contribute last year especially when Bateman was out. I think one of his better games was against The Broncos when he had 74 receiving yards. It may not but have been consistent production but outside of that I don't think he received more playing time last year due to it being a numbers game especially when Bateman returned to play. Him not being as good as a gunner on special teams like Tylan Wallace and Miles Boykin was just wasn't enough to justify him being active on game days. Sammy Watkins, Hollywood Brown, Rashod Bateman and Devin Duvernay could all play the multiple roles on the field rather on the outside or in the slot. It just didn't make sense for The Ravens to have Proche active and they were going to give Bateman as much playing time as possible who I don't think played on special teams at all last year if not mistaken.

Proche isn't fast receiver and he isn't tall either. It's easier for receivers like him to get overlooked and faster and taller receivers will probably alway be considered more of threat on the field than him. I don't know if he can be just as good as Jarvis Landry but I don't think their skillsets are far apart and even with a guy like Jarvis Landry whom has been to many pro bowls would probably be consider less of threat on the football field in comparison to a receiver like Sammy Watkins.
Proche isn't as short as people make him out to be. He's 5'11 and 201lbs, which isn't that much shorter than the avg NFL receiver. Maybe it's arm length that makes him look a bit shorter.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Excited to have Houston back officially. That puts him, Oweh, and Hayes as your top 3 week 1, with some hope for Bowser potentially as well. Leaves Biegel, Means, and Moon fighting for OLB4/5, and Ojabo in the pipeline for later in the season hopefully.
That group dnt sound too good

Simba

Staff Member
That group dnt sound too good
To be fair, what else can you expect? Two of the key guys are injured but still likely to return at some point (maybe Ojabo less likely so). Not like you can stack impact players in their stead. You probably don’t want Biegel or Means on the roster with everyone healthy but you could do a lot worse as a few week band aid.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
this signing puts me at 53 on the roster now if i assume one of biegel/moon/means makes it
and with only 4 WRs making it...

if we add a WR we expect to make the roster, with the roster in the state it's in right now - not sure who i see making it

especially as my calculations have assumed (so far) that ben powers isn't making it... which he still might

would we do something with Tony Jefferson getting cut, getting signed to the practice squad and then getting elevated?
I think that is exactly what we could be doing with TJ at cutdown. Kind of like how we have done in the past with a couple vets. Believe we did this with Campanero at one point.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think that is exactly what we could be doing with TJ at cutdown. Kind of like how we have done in the past with a couple vets. Believe we did this with Campanero at one point.

I expect TJ as a cut and resign. Correct me if I’m wrong, but a vet of 5+ years can be cut and not have to clear waivers.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who are we resigning him to replace?

When I talk about cutting TJ, I’m talking about having him on the practice squad for weekly call-ups not back on the 53

Shoooot that works. I’m thinking of vets that we can cut for the final 53. Giving them a pinky promise that we’ll resign em after we get our guys on 53, then move to IR.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I expect TJ as a cut and resign. Correct me if I’m wrong, but a vet of 5+ years can be cut and not have to clear waivers.
it's 4+ years of experience, but yes you have the right idea. As TJ mentioned, he's more likely to be resigned to practice squad as a weekly call up.

Simba

Staff Member
Not saying all of them, but the candidates for the cut and re-sign/PS callup until a spot opens are...

Mike Davis
Brent Urban
Vince Biegel
Steven Means
Tony Jefferson
Kevon Seymour

Those are all of the vets with the required service time and on a minimum contract

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
For the Ravens? Sure. For the Panthers? Makes very little, if any, sense.

I'm sure if we gave them a first or second rounder they'd trade him. Of course I wouldn't give up that for him.

He’s been a distraction the whole off-season. 5th rounder will do ^_^