• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Terrell Suggs: Can/should we get him?

Or they claim him, put on the retired/exempt list when he doesnt report and get the roster spot back and he does not get to go to the Ravens.
Well if that did happen it would solve the problem for us. But fuck the Patsies anyway. Lol. Next year we sign him to a one day contract and he retires as a Raven. End of story.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Or they claim him, put on the retired/exempt list when he doesnt report and get the roster spot back and he does not get to go to the Ravens.
I have a devious proposition for a devious team - the Patriots. Suggs gets claimed by them. Instead of saying - FU to them he joins them, pretends like he wants to play hard for them. They get him on the starting lineup and he purposely stinks for them and parlays defensive plans to Baltimore just in case we meet them in the playoffs. They then proceed to cut him upon which we pick him for the rest of the playoffs. Far fetched but if they screw with us, Suggs will screw them back with a lot of sizzle.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have a devious proposition for a devious team - the Patriots. Suggs gets claimed by them. Instead of saying - FU to them he joins them, pretends like he wants to play hard for them. They get him on the starting lineup and he purposely stinks for them and parlays defensive plans to Baltimore just in case we meet them in the playoffs. They then proceed to cut him upon which we pick him for the rest of the playoffs. Far fetched but if they screw with us, Suggs will screw them back with a lot of sizzle.
or he could wire their locker room AND send us their playbook.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
well this would totally suck, because I do think there is a chance he would show.
Highly doubt it. Peas wasn’t even like-able here like Wink is and Tannehill will flame out soon

Inqui

Pro Bowler
For that very reason and for us not to get our hands on him the evil empire of yesteryear will claim him.... that is just how they're wired. If they can't improve they won't let their competition get better. Maybe I am just wary of the Patriots and their constant cheating and bending rules for an advantage. However, I won't put it past Andy Reid to claim him either. Just me.
Honestly I don't see this being an issue. I'd be pretty annoyed if Harbaugh cut someone from our actual 53-man roster just so we could sign someone who may or may not provide intel (and I'd be surprised if those players provided much that couldn't be gleaned from the all-22 tape). That just seems like way too much to pay for a marginal benefit. I'm more worried about teams that genuinely think they could use him, like Seattle or Tennessee.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly I don't see this being an issue. I'd be pretty annoyed if Harbaugh cut someone from our actual 53-man roster just so we could sign someone who may or may not provide intel (and I'd be surprised if those players provided much that couldn't be gleaned from the all-22 tape). That just seems like way too much to pay for a marginal benefit. I'm more worried about teams that genuinely think they could use him, like Seattle or Tennessee.
I’d agree that Suggs is most likely to get claimed by a team who could use him but I do think they could see it as a double win. For instance, if TEN needs Suggs so they claim him but they also claim him because we can’t have him sort of out of spite. This way the team wins double because they either have his [Suggs] services or they don’t but we also don’t. That’s why I could see a team like SEA, KC, TEN claim Suggs

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’d agree that Suggs is most likely to get claimed by a team who could use him but I do think they could see it as a double win. For instance, if TEN needs Suggs so they claim him but they also claim him because we can’t have him sort of out of spite. This way the team wins double because they either have his [Suggs] services or they don’t but we also don’t. That’s why I could see a team like SEA, KC, TEN claim Suggs

but to do that they have to cut someone who also goes through waivers - if they know he wont play for them then its a complete waste of a roster spot that could be used for someone else

it means that you cant afford to risk cutting an edge guy in case suggs doesnt play but that means you have to cut someone from somewhere else on your roster

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Contending team doing this in the crunch time of the season? Nah, team will take him only if he wants to play there. Shafting Ravens will be the last thing on their mind because:

1. We're doing just fine all season without Suggs, nobody will see Suggs as a crucial missing piece on Ravens D
2. Nobody has any idea yet whether the Ravens are interested in bringing Sizzle back

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
but to do that they have to cut someone who also goes through waivers - if they know he wont play for them then its a complete waste of a roster spot that could be used for someone else

it means that you cant afford to risk cutting an edge guy in case suggs doesnt play but that means you have to cut someone from somewhere else on your roster
That is true and I agree with that. I guess I just see the possibility perhaps out of paranoia, I’ll admit. That said, you’re also assuming they’re totally satisfied with everyone on their roster. I’ll admit I lack the insight in other rosters, so perhaps it would be something that would dissuade teams if they fear he won’t play, I just think that concern would be rather minuscule for teams.
Contending team doing this in the crunch time of the season? Nah, team will take him only if he wants to play there. Shafting Ravens will be the last thing on their mind because:

1. We're doing just fine all season without Suggs, nobody will see Suggs as a crucial missing piece on Ravens D
2. Nobody has any idea yet whether the Ravens are interested in bringing Sizzle back
Not a setup question here but do you think teams won’t claim Suggs out of this fear? I would think teams wouldn’t know if he would report for sure, but they have to cut a guy to claim a guy right? I guess what I’m saying is they wouldn’t know Suggs wouldn’t report until after they already cut someone?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That is true and I agree with that. I guess I just see the possibility perhaps out of paranoia, I’ll admit. That said, you’re also assuming they’re totally satisfied with everyone on their roster. I’ll admit I lack the insight in other rosters, so perhaps it would be something that would dissuade teams if they fear he won’t play, I just think that concern would be rather minuscule for teams.

Not a setup question here but do you think teams won’t claim Suggs out of this fear? I would think teams wouldn’t know if he would report for sure, but they have to cut a guy to claim a guy right? I guess what I’m saying is they wouldn’t know Suggs wouldn’t report until after they already cut someone?

they wouldnt know he wouldnt report - but there seem to be reports now from multiple insiders that sizzle wont suit up for any team except us - with that now out in public it would be a risk for a team to pick him up given they have to cut someone simultaneous to their waiver claim

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

No. I think they'll check beforehand with him whether he wants to play and then claim him if they need OLB.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
they wouldnt know he wouldnt report - but there seem to be reports now from multiple insiders that sizzle wont suit up for any team except us - with that now out in public it would be a risk for a team to pick him up given they have to cut someone simultaneous to their waiver claim
No. I think they'll check beforehand with him whether he wants to play and then claim him if they need OLB.
I hope you guys are right because I definitely think he could help our screen game and defending those edge runs from guys like Mostert at the very least.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Stats padding time for Wilson right now.... I want to know the stats where QBs play in garbage time. Lamar on the other hand sits out 4th quarters and he's done it 5 times already. Imagine if he were allowed to pad stats like Wilson and the rest. He'd have thrown for more than 40 TDs already!

This. If I’m a GM no way I claim him without first checking to make sure he’s interested.

It sounds to me from Sugg’s statement that he could be interested in a contending team not named the ravens. He said he MAY NOT report if it’s not the ravens, which leaves open that possibility.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I can't imagine a scenario where a team doesn't claim Suggs before us. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I feel like if you give people the opportunity to be spoilers, they eat that shit up. Remember there are 30 teams who have to say no. From pure Stat, that's (1/2)^30. Which is quite unlikely before you add in that people may want him legitimately / want to spoil.

allenlh

Practice Squad
I can't imagine a scenario where a team doesn't claim Suggs before us. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I feel like if you give people the opportunity to be spoilers, they eat that shit up. Remember there are 30 teams who have to say no. From pure Stat, that's (1/2)^30. Which is quite unlikely before you add in that people may want him legitimately / want to spoil.

Sadly, I think you're right, too many teams in front of us to imagine one won't pick him up is too much against the odds.

Stupid question: can he not report to whatever team claims him and retire instead? And then unretire, say the following week before the end of the season and then sign with the Ravens?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sadly, I think you're right, too many teams in front of us to imagine one won't pick him up is too much against the odds.

Stupid question: can he not report to whatever team claims him and retire instead? And then unretire, say the following week before the end of the season and then sign with the Ravens?
no he can't do that