• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General Front 7 Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jimmy took a pay cut earlier this year and is set to make an absurd amount of money, even for a really good player like he is. I'd be shocked if we weren't going to do a backloaded restructure
I could see a restructure just not sure about a pay cut. Webb is another guy who could also be gone if he’s got a multi year deal. He could easily be on the outs

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I could see a restructure just not sure about a pay cut. Webb is another guy who could also be gone if he’s got a multi year deal. He could easily be on the outs
Yes, but knowing Webb he'd likely resign again for a cheaper deal. It's likely to be a restructure for Jimmy. Some big moves have to be made cap wise next season.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
pretty sure jimmy's been restructured twice in the last 2 years - i imagine he gets a nice juicy extension this off season
He has. Damnit. He'll likely get another backloaded extension but will still be expensive. Next season he is set to make $15 million. So we might be able to get that down to $10 or $11 million and open up some room, but that's it.

Ozzie's two year plan requires us to have cap space next season if we're going to fix these problems. Otherwise.... It ain't gonna work. These restructures that we've had to do have fucked us over in the long run

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Judon should add the weight back on. We have Bowser and Williams for speed. We could use a long term power edge guy.

The Raven

Veteran
Apparently, Willie Henry graded out at an 84 from PFF, the third highest grade on the team. While the DL was putrid, I do think it was the 5's and the Edges that played most poorly. Henry seemed to get a good jump and a good pass rush. He needs to keep his head up to pursue better, and he could be better at playing down the line, but we're seeing some of his potential now. I do like that he got snaps at NT -- a fast NT can cause a bad day for a center, perhaps moreso than a clogger. He was seemingly always in the backfield when he was at the 1.

Anyone else have a thought on this?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Apparently, Willie Henry graded out at an 84 from PFF, the third highest grade on the team. While the DL was putrid, I do think it was the 5's and the Edges that played most poorly. Henry seemed to get a good jump and a good pass rush. He needs to keep his head up to pursue better, and he could be better at playing down the line, but we're seeing some of his potential now. I do like that he got snaps at NT -- a fast NT can cause a bad day for a center, perhaps moreso than a clogger. He was seemingly always in the backfield when he was at the 1.

Henry, along with ZDS and Tim Williams are the guys that consistently caught my eye as the major disrupters. I was pleasantly surprised by their performances.

I've always liked Henry as a prospect, I'm glad to not be wrong about him. I think he's a below average run defender but perhaps our best interior rusher. And as you said, he'll only get better.

ZDS is having a heck of a start to the season and I'm very happy for him. He's made huuuge strides since last season.

Finally Timmy is as good as advertised. He's getting consistant pressures in the games I saw against proven veteran LTs. The sacks will come but even if they don't his impact is already evident, esp when you account for the fact that he isn't used as a DPR.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Henry, along with ZDS and Tim Williams are the guys that consistently caught my eye as the major disrupters. I was pleasantly surprised by their performances.

I've always liked Henry as a prospect, I'm glad to not be wrong about him. I think he's a below average run defender but perhaps our best interior rusher. And as you said, he'll only get better.

ZDS is having a heck of a start to the season and I'm very happy for him. He's made huuuge strides since last season.

Finally Timmy is as good as advertised. He's getting consistant pressures in the games I saw against proven veteran LTs. The sacks will come but even if they don't his impact is already evident, esp when you account for the fact that he isn't used as a DPR.
Henry caught my eye a lot last game and even against Jacksonville I thought he played well. Henry was even solid against the run. He is gonna be a very good player.
Not sure if I'm seeing the same thing from ZDS as you though. Definitely wouldn't say he is having a heck of a start to the season. He needs to be last on the OLB depth chart.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Henry caught my eye a lot last game and even against Jacksonville I thought he played well. Henry was even solid against the run. He is gonna be a very good player.
Not sure if I'm seeing the same thing from ZDS as you though. Definitely wouldn't say he is having a heck of a start to the season. He needs to be last on the OLB depth chart.
Za'Darius has played very well and has caught my attention a lot being around the QB. He had a strong preseason and even though he missed a game from injury he is still continuing playing at a higher level than I ever thought he would. I actually think he's been in the quarterback's face more than anybody so far on this roster thus far in the season.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Yeah, I keep harping on our bad edge defense all season. We seem very good in the middle (all 4 guys played well) but keep leaking on both ends. It was better, not ideal, before Williams and Urban injuries and since then it turned into mush.
Last year's Judon and ZDS might have been able to help but they both slimmed too much to effectively hold the edge. Not convinced Kaufusi can cut it there.

Time for Suggs to step up and Williams to get more playing time.

Where's Upshaw when you need him?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’d like to see Tim Williams get more opportunities rushing from a three point stance. Most of his rushes at this point have been from a two point stance,

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
He has. Damnit. He'll likely get another backloaded extension but will still be expensive. Next season he is set to make $15 million. So we might be able to get that down to $10 or $11 million and open up some room, but that's it.

Ozzie's two year plan requires us to have cap space next season if we're going to fix these problems. Otherwise.... It ain't gonna work. These restructures that we've had to do have fucked us over in the long run

I wouldn't worry about the imaginary 2 year plan since all they need to sign in FA is maybe 1 guard and a skill position player for Joe to play with.

The only weak positions outside of that are the ones devastated by injury. Why is Webb our slot corner? Because our 1st 2nd and 3rd options are hurt. Why is our OLine is tatters? Because our 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th best options are guard are out for the year (no idea about Skura hopefully he doesn't make 5).

No team is that deep at any position. However all the worries at that positiom turned out to not be worries. Mext year Stanley is LT, Jensen is looking good, Yanda will be back but older, and Howard is surprisingly looking good. That means you draft Yandas replacement (unless Elum looks really good), depending on what you think of Lewis and Siragusa, they can go for 1 elite guard in FA and then settle in with a top 5 OLine with great depth.

Edit: to clarify the Ravens are overloaded with LB depth, DLine depth, corner depth so no worries on those fronts period.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I havent seen anything from williams. A little from ZDS but nothing at all from Twill. None of our players other than suggs and now henry are consistent enough for me to give them any type of credit

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I havent seen anything from williams. A little from ZDS but nothing at all from Twill. None of our players other than suggs and now henry are consistent enough for me to give them any type of credit
You haven't seen it because you haven't been paying attention. Trust me I've watched the games again and focused on him when he was there (not a lot of snaps unfortunately) and he was ALWAYS bringing pressure. Last week he went against Donald Penn and got like 3 pressures on 8 snaps (according to Filmstudy). That's an absurd ratio against a very good LT. I'll be lobbying for him to take the field on every passing snaps because he's dominating.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
You haven't seen it because you haven't been paying attention. Trust me I've watched the games again and focused on him when he was there (not a lot of snaps unfortunately) and he was ALWAYS bringing pressure. Last week he went against Donald Penn and got like 3 pressures on 8 snaps (according to Filmstudy). That's an absurd ratio against a very good LT. I'll be lobbying for him to take the field on every passing snaps because he's dominating.
Is there someplace where you can find replays of the game?