• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General Front 7 Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
More than decent, actually never understood the critics about his run defense. He's excellent at setting the edge and forcing RB to look the other way. Excellent leverage and hand placement force OT back 90% of the time.
He got too excited and lost his discipline pretty often but he disrupts a lot even when he does that. Staying disciplined vs the run is his biggest thing

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He got too excited and lost his discipline pretty often but he disrupts a lot even when he does that. Staying disciplined vs the run is his biggest thing
I'm also extremely positive that these issues will be fixed sooner rather than later.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
UDFA from Maine Pat Ricard.....anyone watch this guy? Had eighteen sacks over four years at DT and his name is brought up in print a fair amount for his not being drafted.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
UDFA from Maine Pat Ricard.....anyone watch this guy? Had eighteen sacks over four years at DT and his name is brought up in print a fair amount for his not being drafted.
Yeah read a couple articles mentionning him as a disruptive guy during camp, excited about him.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
..........................................Judon Wormley Pierce Suggs..........Williams
.......................Bowser....................................CJ...

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Also, Judon looks like a different player with the new helmet, visor and number. Like you don't recognize him at all lol.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Can't wait to see him this year. Think he'll be starting at SAM?
Hard to say because Bowser looks special, but Judon is the picture perfect of what you'd want in a SAM, like the second coming of JJ (also nice that JJ coached the two of them a little). He can set the edge, rush the passer and he's just an all around smart player that won't get lost against any play. Has great read and react skills.
I'd say Judon looks like the obvious choice at SAM because he just does everything that a SAM is asked to do well, but I'd put an asterisc on it because Bowser should get some playing time, esp on passing downs.
But anyway you want to see it, Judon will play a lot this season because of his "no-mistake" style that will help cement the defense.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Gross production. It's basically "no player with his market share of sacks and tackles bla blah has ever become a pro bowler" and "no pro bowler has ever played at such a low snap count" but measures these things totally independent of each other.

So, in this case, correlation = causation, it's known and even acknowledged, yet it's disregarded in the analytics.

To call Tim Williams unproductive is a total lie, the numbers say he is one of the most efficient pass rushers to ever play college ball, and he has tape showing an incredibly explosive high motor and refined edge rusher to support the numbers. Also to bash his snap count is absurd, when you have a pass rusher of his caliber and the greatest front seven in college ball history, keep the legs fresh, let the others do the dirty work. Not to mention the tape showed a pretty decent run defender

While I agree with all. His rush moves aren't even close to refined outside the spin. Even that could use some tweaking as good as it already is. Don't get me wrong he has impressive weapons that are effective. However his moves are unrefined and inconsistent and could actually get so better. He is the dangerous yet undisciplined Manny Pacquiao before Freddy Roach refined him and helped him add some weapons to his awesome but unrefined and errant arsenal.

If his linebacker instincts come around and he puts on even a little muscle he could be DPOY candidate. His raw skills are as good as anybody's.

Based on OTAs Judon is first team on strong side, provided he stays healthy I think he's a 3-down double digit sack player. Bowser will be sharing snaps with him. Suggs has Z.Smith (uuugh) and Tim Williams behind him in that order, I wish we would cut bait with Smith but I guess Harbaugh likes him.

Personally I think Bowser is a better fit at ILB (Especially if Judon/Williams lock down the edges) unless he shows up as a rusher. I still don't rate Correa but i'll wait and see.

The Raven

Veteran
Based on OTAs Judon is first team on strong side, provided he stays healthy I think he's a 3-down double digit sack player. Bowser will be sharing snaps with him. Suggs has Z.Smith (uuugh) and Tim Williams behind him in that order, I wish we would cut bait with Smith but I guess Harbaugh likes him.

Personally I think Bowser is a better fit at ILB (Especially if Judon/Williams lock down the edges) unless he shows up as a rusher. I still don't rate Correa but i'll wait and see.
Bowser has the look of the perfect Tampa 2 chase linebacker that can pursue, cover, and blitz. Using him on the edge is a waste of what he can do and I will never be convinced otherwise.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bowser has the look of the perfect Tampa 2 chase linebacker that can pursue, cover, and blitz. Using him on the edge is a waste of what he can do and I will never be convinced otherwise.

That is a terrible way to view things. Maybe you are right and maybe you ate wrong but thete is nothing good about beong close minded. If he ends up lighting up on the outside you will be stuck in a situation where you have to cut off your nose to spite your face.

The Raven

Veteran
That is a terrible way to view things. Maybe you are right and maybe you ate wrong but thete is nothing good about beong close minded. If he ends up lighting up on the outside you will be stuck in a situation where you have to cut off your nose to spite your face.
It's 2017. We need ILBs who can cover, not out of position LBs who can't shed blocks on the edge.

I agree that Bowser is a do-it-all type of linebacker, but if he's a top flight pass rusher that value trumps everything else. It shouldn't matter though, I've seen him line up on scrimmage and transition into covering the HB for an interception. He's a freak blitzer too with body control so he doesn't even need his hand in the dirt.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's 2017. We need ILBs who can cover, not out of position LBs who can't shed blocks on the edge.

The fact that he can both rush the pass well AND cover is what gives him value. When you can line up a guy outside and have to account for what if he goes and what if ge drops back you remove options from an offense.

Defense wins by making an offense predictable. Whether its by an elite pass rush forcing quick throws to the outside, or with elite corners forcing a focus on sgort and intermediate passing game or even elite LB and slot play taking the TEs out of the game and allowing the safeties to cheat on outside, if you make an offense predictable they wont beat you. Bowser is a key to helping with that.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I think having a SAM that can drop into coverage is better than trying to force Bowser inside, but I don't really care about having a 2nd ILB that is great in coverage mainly because I think that Jefferson/Levine will take more of the 2nd ILB role in passing situations anyway.

The Raven

Veteran
The fact that he can both rush the pass well AND cover is what gives him value. When you can line up a guy outside and have to account for what if he goes and what if ge drops back you remove options from an offense.

Defense wins by making an offense predictable. Whether its by an elite pass rush forcing quick throws to the outside, or with elite corners forcing a focus on sgort and intermediate passing game or even elite LB and slot play taking the TEs out of the game and allowing the safeties to cheat on outside, if you make an offense predictable they wont beat you. Bowser is a key to helping with that.
Yes, except bowser has shown no indication to me that he'll be a serviceable pass rusher in the NFL. Once the tackle gets his hands on him, it's game over. That don't fly in the NFL.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Yes, except bowser has shown no indication to me that he'll be a serviceable pass rusher in the NFL. Once the tackle gets his hands on him, it's game over. That don't fly in the NFL.
That said, he's going to be a nightmare as a blitzer if he is playing the role you said he'd be.

God this defense has a load of talent.

The Raven

Veteran
That said, he's going to be a nightmare as a blitzer if he is playing the role you said he'd be.

God this defense has a load of talent.
I can't remember the last college LB I've seen that can blitz the way Bowser can. It's gonna be huge for us. We haven't really had the best blitzing LBs, which is one reason Pees's zone blitz hasn't worked.

Btw, has anyone actually hear where Bowser is playing and how he's doing?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I can't remember the last college LB I've seen that can blitz the way Bowser can. It's gonna be huge for us. We haven't really had the best blitzing LBs, which is one reason Pees's zone blitz hasn't worked.

Btw, has anyone actually hear where Bowser is playing and how he's doing?
Playing the SAM with the 2s, has excelled in coverage and shown some stuff rushing but since it's Without pads it doesn't mean anything.

I'm all for Bowser as the SAM, he has the tools to rush as well and when he's a more accomplished pass rusher he'll be a nightmare, really. And since Leonard Floyd got 7 sacks just with his first step, I believe Bowser will also get some just with his raw athletic freakness.