• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General Front 7 Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Playing the SAM with the 2s, has excelled in coverage and shown some stuff rushing but since it's Without pads it doesn't mean anything.

I'm all for Bowser as the SAM, he has the tools to rush as well and when he's a more accomplished pass rusher he'll be a nightmare, really. And since Leonard Floyd got 7 sacks just with his first step, I believe Bowser will also get some just with his raw athletic freakness.
I really want to see Bowser playing the "Jamie Collins" role. Feel he fits that to the tee. I believe he has the ability, and will get better with his pass rush in time, to play on the inside, outside, and on the line in nickel, just as Collins does. I believe worse case, we got a damn good inside linebacker who can cover better than most linebackers in the league.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I really want to see Bowser playing the "Jamie Collins" role. Feel he fits that to the tee. I believe he has the ability, and will get better with his pass rush in time, to play on the inside outside and on the line in nickel, just as Collins does. I believe worse case, we got a damn good inside linebacker who can cover better than most linebackers in the league.
I'm not sure he has the instincts and IQ to play inside, I really think his place is outside. But as you said his place can change if we're playing nickel, in 3-3-5 as an outside LB is probably where he'll be most lethal.
I'd say at the very worst he's the passing downs version of Albert McClellan.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like his instincts and feel for dropping and covering between the hash and the flats. Playing Sam and dropping to the outside is disruptive to all right handed qbs, it's an immediate disruption to the easiest/fastest outlet a qb has. You're putting a highly athletic and fluid coverage guy right in the area that the qb looks when he's gotta get rid of it quick. If the qb fails to keep eyes on bowser at Sam, he has to either locate him or target other areas of the field, otherwise risk getting a big unpleasant surprise from bowser.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I like his instincts and feel for dropping and covering between the hash and the flats. Playing Sam and dropping to the outside is disruptive to all right handed qbs, it's an immediate disruption to the easiest/fastest outlet a qb has. You're putting a highly athletic and fluid coverage guy right in the area that the qb looks when he's gotta get rid of it quick. If the qb fails to keep eyes on bowser at Sam, he has to either locate him or target other areas of the field, otherwise risk getting a big unpleasant surprise from bowser.
Just wanted to add to this (very valid) argument that the only left handed QB in the league is the Cowboys back up.

Heres a quick breakdown I found about Bowser's coverage:

Zone Pass Defense

Doesn’t over pursue or overreact-2pts: Yes

Stays in assigned zone-2pts: Yes

Drops to landmark and reads QB-2pts: Yes

Makes good decisions-2pts: Yes

Doesn’t break on shallow routes ball out-2pts: Yes

Man-to-Man Pass Defense

Backpedals-1pt: No

Angle backpedals-1pt: Yes

Rolls over to direction of play-1pt: Yes

Tips ball in coverage-1pt: No

Intercepts ball in coverage-1pt: No

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure he has the instincts and IQ to play inside, I really think his place is outside. But as you said his place can change if we're playing nickel, in 3-3-5 as an outside LB is probably where he'll be most lethal.
I'd say at the very worst he's the passing downs version of Albert McClellan.
Actually I believe his instincts are off the charts but I'd rather use him as a joker. He may not be as explosive as Jamie Collins but he is faster and more agile. His closing ability on qbs is very good and he will convert pressures into sacks. He does need to learn how to take on blocks, but I believe he has that ability.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bronson kaufusi is shaped so weird. The ravens site posted an article with a picture of him, and he really is weird looking. He's long and lean and muscular and then has a fat midsection. It's so strange.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Soooooo......who's our 3 tech now? I feel like Peirce would be or maybe Bwill at times but both seem better suited for the nose tackle spot. Then all our DE look like 5 techs in kaufusi, urban, and wormley. Henry might be the only legitimate 3 tech on our team but we dont really know if hes any good for that matter

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Soooooo......who's our 3 tech now? I feel like Peirce would be or maybe Bwill at times but both seem better suited for the nose tackle spot. Then all our DE look like 5 techs in kaufusi, urban, and wormley. Henry might be the only legitimate 3 tech on our team but we dont really know if hes any good for that matter
Last year it was BWill. Henry, imo, is very promising and has a boatload of talent. I really hope he takes the next step, because he's a better pass rusher than Jernigan if he does. Wormley can also kick at 3tech on passing downs.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Last year it was BWill. Henry, imo, is very promising and has a boatload of talent. I really hope he takes the next step, because he's a better pass rusher than Jernigan if he does. Wormley can also kick at 3tech on passing downs.
Brandon Williams did move to either the 3T or the 5T when playing alongside of Michael Pierce, but Pierce only played roughly a 1/3rd of the snaps with 375 on the season, and they likely weren't all with Williams. Aside from that, Williams almost exclusively shaded the nose at 0T or could've technically been considered the 1T. But he wasn't our regular 3T on either side. I've rewatched a handful of games from this season to reaffirm this notion.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Brandon Williams did move to either the 3T or the 5T when playing alongside of Michael Pierce, but Pierce only played roughly a 1/3rd of the snaps with 375 on the season, and they likely weren't all with Williams. Aside from that, Williams almost exclusively shaded the nose at 0T or could've technically been considered the 1T. But he wasn't our regular 3T on either side. I've rewatched a handful of games from this season to reaffirm this notion.

according to a report that I read, this could have been the contributing case why his numbers weren't as good this number as in the previous years he was starting,

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
according to a report that I read, this could have been the contributing case why his numbers weren't as good this number as in the previous years he was starting,
Sounds interesting. In my eyes, it's both a yes and a no. It wasn't a full-blown switch the likes we saw with Jonathan Hankins shifting over to play mostly at 3T. It likely did contribute some, but he didn't play nearly enough snaps outside of shading the nose for that to be the main factor in the somewhat down season.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Currently watching some Bowser tape. There was one play in particular where the UH defense blitzed the two LB and shifted Bowser as the lone backer in the middle after the snap. A lot of plays where he shows rush intentions and end up either covering either spying.
So eager to see this guy in our defense.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Currently watching some Bowser tape. There was one play in particular where the UH defense blitzed the two LB and shifted Bowser as the lone backer in the middle after the snap. A lot of plays where he shows rush intentions and end up either covering either spying.
So eager to see this guy in our defense.

Bowser is really a wildcard of our draft. How naturally inclined is he at getting to the QB?? He did average age a sack a game on sheer athleticism last year. Will he master rush moves and a rush arsenal?? Will he get stronger as part of building a rush Arsenal?? Will he build on his instincts to be a 100+ tackle LB should he play ilb?? Unlike crappy Correa He has the skills to do all of it. However he is far from a lock to do much any of it..

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Bowser is really a wildcard of our draft. How naturally inclined is he at getting to the QB?? He did average age a sack a game on sheer athleticism last year. Will he master rush moves and a rush arsenal?? Will he get stronger as part of building a rush Arsenal?? Will he build on his instincts to be a 100+ tackle LB should he play ilb?? Unlike crappy Correa He has the skills to do all of it. However he is far from a lock to do much any of it..
Don't care if he isn't a 100 tacles LB. I want him on the edge, and anybody who had the occasion to see him rush should understand. He is freakishky natural at it. He has one move and T couldn't stop it. The nice thing would be for him to get a spin move, since he is a basket guy it should be OK for him and it would give him an inside move that would allow him to stay untouched, which is the best way for him to win the 1on1

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sounds interesting. In my eyes, it's both a yes and a no. It wasn't a full-blown switch the likes we saw with Jonathan Hankins shifting over to play mostly at 3T. It likely did contribute some, but he didn't play nearly enough snaps outside of shading the nose for that to be the main factor in the somewhat down season.
That's very true and the article stated when he was playing 3 T his numbers weren't as good...for the most part. It may have been Filmstudy but I'm not sure.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Don't care if he isn't a 100 tacles LB. I want him on the edge, and anybody who had the occasion to see him rush should understand. He is freakishky natural at it. He has one move and T couldn't stop it. The nice thing would be for him to get a spin move, since he is a basket guy it should be OK for him and it would give him an inside move that would allow him to stay untouched, which is the best way for him to win the 1on1
Agree and he definitely needs another move, because he didn't get many sacks when the T got their hands on him. In response to @Sledge Hammer, no one is a lock. I also have a sneaky suspicion that Correa is going to surprise us.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Bowser looks very raw to me off the edge. He has traits to be sure but I don't think he's natural rushing the passer at all.
He isn't close, for example to what someone like Tim Williams brings as a pass rusher.

It's possible, given personnel that we see him primarily covering backs out of the backfield. If he can prove an option for shadowing and shutting down Bell out of the backfield, this would be great for year one.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Agree and he definitely needs another move, because he didn't get many sacks when the T got their hands on him. In response to @Sledge Hammer, no one is a lock. I also have a sneaky suspicion that Correa is going to surprise us.
I think correa is gonna surprise as well. But not on the edge. I didn't see it at first, but after seeing him attempt to edge rush in the NFL I came to a realization that he may not be able to do it, but he's got a LB skill set. He is probably the fastest player in our front seven, he's light on his feet in space, he form tackles very well, he can sniff guys out pretty well on screens and quick passes, and he can man cover some too.

And as far as edge rushing goes, he's smaller and not very powerful, but that can be worked around with tactical play, chaining together rush snaps to set the tackle up for future rush moves, and attacking one shoulder of the tackle rather than engaging head on, are things he needs to learn. I think he is our ILB this year but in due time he could become useful in the edge rush after a lot of mental development. I think the key for correa playing the edge would be learning to play tactical. Suggs isn't the fastest or strongest guy, but he plays chess with the tackle, he plays each snap with the next snap in mind, setting up opportunities for himself.