• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Soccer

Inqui

Pro Bowler
there would legit be parties in the streets in the middle of a lockdown on tyneside if this is true
There's been talk about offers for a while, but I think this one has legs because the encouraging thing is that it's been in the sights of the reputable press for a while now. Bloomberg picked this up a few months ago and there's obviously the FT reporting on this latest update - a slight step up from offers being "reported" by the Daily Fail or The Sun. Still a long way to go with the legal red tape, mind.

I've been wanting this for years, but I'm kinda torn here. As a football fan it's great news, and all going well we could even be up there with the big boys by the end of the decade (ambition of the new overlords pending). On the other hand, as far as human beings go you'd be hard-pressed to find a worse bunch to have take over a team you love - and this is Mike Ashley we're talking about so they're clearing a pretty high bar already. I was talking to a friend (also a Newcastle fan) in January who had the off-the-wall idea that some of these bids were just Ashley hinting that there are worse people out there than him. I know nearly every rich fucker's dirty, but I think there'll always be something a little uncomfortable in the back of my mind with this one.

With that said, fuck it let's make a run at Neymar. :D

ED: fuck it's alright but f*cker isn't. TIL.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
@allblackraven @ThatsMyJoeTerback @mc_red23

Liverpool fam, I'm sorry but this is hideous. Tf?

upload_2020-8-23_20-7-18.png

rossihunter2

Staff Member
VAR is a complete joke - maybe the NFL can teach the PL a thing or two

NFL in 2019 would be a good comparison

the technology is great - the human implementation of the technology has been inconsistent at best (see pass interference reviews in 2019)

rugby is the example that football should be following - transparent communication between officials so that everyone can follow the decision-making process as it happens

tbh it just needs better decision-making by those making the decisions

the technology itself is fine

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
NFL in 2019 would be a good comparison

the technology is great - the human implementation of the technology has been inconsistent at best (see pass interference reviews in 2019)

rugby is the example that football should be following - transparent communication between officials so that everyone can follow the decision-making process as it happens

tbh it just needs better decision-making by those making the decisions

the technology itself is fine
I don't watch rugby, but I know in Australian football we get to hear the referee communicate with the review officials. Same with cricket. The AAF did it too I believe. That's a stage we should easily reach in 2020.

Like you said, the technology is great. It is mind boggling when VAR officials aren't able to place a properly perpendicular line to a player's shoulder and see that the line is clearly aligned with the defender when technology enables them to draw lines with such precision.

The NFL had the problem with PI reviews because the foul had to be "significant enough" to hinder the receiver from making the catch, and the review decisions were simply inconsistent. PI is a subjective call. I don't think an offside call is subjective at all. VAR is there for "clear and obvious errors," but is Mane's offside really a clear and obvious error?

This is where communication is paramount, because there was no word on the VVD challenge either.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know we have a couple of liverpool fans here, what do you think of the new super league Liverpool and 11 other clubs (Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid, Inter, AC Milan and Juventus) founded? Their main goal is to replace the Champions League and basically cut out UEFA. In the 1st season there will be only English, Italian and Spanish clubs.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know we have a couple of liverpool fans here, what do you think of the new super league Liverpool and 11 other clubs (Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid, Inter, AC Milan and Juventus) founded? Their main goal is to replace the Champions League and basically cut out UEFA. In the 1st season there will be only English, Italian and Spanish clubs.
Absolutely disappointed. Can't say i'm super surprised (i think this has been in the works for a couple years), but there is plenty of blame to go around. Uefa and Fifa officials were completely spineless in enforcing the copious amounts of money being poured into football by a lot of the "new money" owners. Uefa are utterly corrupt and complicit just as much as any club responsible for this. I find it very ironic they are trying to take the moral high ground here. Their newly proposed CL model is a mess as well, so my best guess is they're trying to save face by taking their stance.

Not to mention it kills any hope for smaller clubs and spits in the face of the english football pyramid that has been built (ofc only speaking in terms of english football). It's such a good system and to see it ruined is so sad to see. My biggest worry is that there's no real financial incentive for these clubs to back out of this "super league," so i think it is inevitable and it's not just a bluff by the big clubs to demand change. If fifa do follow through with their threats against these clubs, it'll end any international star coming over to these bigger clubs.

Most of all im disappointed in the owners for turning their back on the club. If there has been an entity that has turned their back on everything LFC is for, its FSG. The FA or PL should punish us for even thinking about doing something like this. Klopp is probably (and rightfully) disgusted, and the players should also speak out.

Maybe in the end, the clubs will back out and just say "they were thinking about doing it" to get their way with Uefa, but it speaks to larger point about maximizing money in soccer. The NFL model is very successful, but it doesn't feel right for soccer. If I wanted that, I'd watch the borderline retirement league that is MLS.

Who knows? In the 2024 ESL draft, we might trade Salah for a future first round pick.