• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Black Monday - 2019

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
On the subject of only one black GM, I feel some of this is overblown. I do agree that we should have more minority representation in the NFL front offices as long as they are the best at the job. Case in point, Ozzie Newsome was excellent for us and he is black. We don’t have a black GM anymore but I don’t think it’s changed our culture at all. I don’t think we have any anti-black sentiment here either in terms of NFL front office structure. That said, I do believe some NFL front offices experience this; however, I don’t know how prevalent it truly is. I also think it’s hard to enforce because what do you do? Require NFL teams interview minority candidates? They do that now but it doesn’t mean much if they’ve already decided on who they want, a la Gruden and others.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
On the subject of only one black GM, I feel some of this is overblown. I do agree that we should have more minority representation in the NFL front offices as long as they are the best at the job. Case in point, Ozzie Newsome was excellent for us and he is black. We don’t have a black GM anymore but I don’t think it’s changed our culture at all. I don’t think we have any anti-black sentiment here either in terms of NFL front office structure. That said, I do believe some NFL front offices experience this; however, I don’t know how prevalent it truly is. I also think it’s hard to enforce because what do you do? Require NFL teams interview minority candidates? They do that now but it doesn’t mean much if they’ve already decided on who they want, a la Gruden and others.

i think the problem is that as mania just posted above - its not just not improving, its actively getting worse

it's fine for the ravens to have gone from ozzie to EDC - but the rest of the league also got rid of black GMs without replacement at the same time - ozzie's still in a position of power here too but there's no place like this in the NFL with the handover we just had

the problem is going to be hard to overcome because the league office and owners clearly dont really care about it

JO_75

Hall of Famer
McCarthy wasting no time getting his staff together. First he hired Mike Nolan to be his Defensive Coordinator, now he has hired former Rams ST Coach John Fassel as his ST Coordinator. Also former 49ers Head Coach Jim Tusla is the Cowboys new defensive line coach.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think the problem is that as mania just posted above - its not just not improving, its actively getting worse

it's fine for the ravens to have gone from ozzie to EDC - but the rest of the league also got rid of black GMs without replacement at the same time - ozzie's still in a position of power here too but there's no place like this in the NFL with the handover we just had

the problem is going to be hard to overcome because the league office and owners clearly dont really care about it
I agree, it just doesn't seem the owners and league office really care about the issue and it's a real shame.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

I agree, it just doesn't seem the owners and league office really care about the issue and it's a real shame.
I’d agree with that, I just don’t think it’s easy to settle outside of clearly superior candidates being overlooked due to racial preferences. These archaic principles sadly still exist, yet requiring the interviewing of minority candidates seems to be a rather superficial in perspective. It’s as if we’re doing it to check a box, and that’s absolutely wrong to me. I’m sure it’s sometimes led to successful hires; however, I would like to know how many hires actually came of the Rooney rule.

I don’t even think the NFLPA cares either honestly. It’s a minor issue for everyone in the position to actually make changes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’d agree with that, I just don’t think it’s easy to settle outside of clearly superior candidates being overlooked due to racial preferences. These archaic principles sadly still exist, yet requiring the interviewing of minority candidates seems to be a rather superficial in perspective. It’s as if we’re doing it to check a box, and that’s absolutely wrong to me. I’m sure it’s sometimes led to successful hires; however, I would like to know how many hires actually came of the Rooney rule.

I don’t even think the NFLPA cares either honestly. It’s a minor issue for everyone in the position to actually make changes.
and I wouldn't count the Tomlin hire, due to that being the Rooney's.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think the rooney rule is probably out of date thinking at this point - it's not enough - not sure what you replace it/supplement it with though

JO_75

Hall of Famer
how is getting fired anything to do with this story?

Somewhere along the line your thought process made a switch, so the second part doesn't seem to have any relation to what you began with.

I fumbled the thought and never recovered the original thought lol.

I am in full agreement with everyone here, sports media writers and analysts that the lack of diversity and opportunities for minorities is a BIG PROBLEM in the NFL. This is a big problem that needs to be corrected, but how? As things stand, it's a phony interview just for the sake of following a rule and that was never the intent of the rule. It became the intent of the rule when owners figured out all they have to do is perform a fake interview then announce who they wanted to hire all along. My point of what I was trying to make was sports writers and the media seem to argue this in a way that minorities are entitled to a job regardless and a NFL team must hire them for the sake of diversity. As you just said in the last post, how do we fix it? I'm just not sure there is one way to fix it.

Should Marvin Lewis or Hue Jackson kept their jobs, despite being terrible at them, should teams keep minority coaches around on a team where said coach has lost the team, they quit on the coach, etc just for the sake of diversity? Secondly, is the NFL doing enough to promote and create a coaching pipeline to give coordinators, position coaches a way to move up? I don't think so. Hell, all the love in the coaching search goes to Offensive & Defensive Coordinators. Should there be a John Harbaugh rule that says even though your going to hire this person, you have to interview a Minority Coach AND a Special teams Coach before hiring who you want? Despite Harbaugh's success, Joe Judge is only the second ST Coach to get a Head Coaching job since Harbaugh was hired in 2008. Then you have two bogus interviews.

No way Eric Bieniemy should be left out of a Head Coaching Job once again, absolutley no way. But I do know that if Kellen Moore stays on with Mike McCarthy as OC and the Cowboys offense has another great year, they make the playoffs, etc that teams are going to give him more looks than Eric because we've seen something similar this year and in years' past. I've seen people argue that the Chiefs are still playing, well the Falcons didn't rush to hire another coach just because Seattle made it to the Super Bowl. They waited til after the Super Bowl to hire Dan Quinn, Patriots were in the Super Bowl last year, Miami waited until after to hire Brian Flores. Maybe we start at the very least where we take out the whole so and so is still coaching and have all interviews and hires done after the Super Bowl.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
How much more does Eric Bieniemy have to do to get a head coaching job after the Chiefs just put up 51 points in a playoff game? It is ridiculous at this point.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Eagles EVP Andrew Barry may become the next GM of the Browns, so that would be 2 GMs who are minorities if the Browns indeed hire him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/reports-andrew-berry-to-become-cleveland-browns-general-manager