• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Black Monday - 2019

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So is Mcdaniels still the favourite in cleveland? is there even a favourite in cleveland?
literally nothing except hype about rhule has even come out of the giants from their process - they've interviewed or scheduled interviews with lots of candidates but not a peep out of any of them...

does eric bieniemy not get a HC job again?
I do believe McDaniels is the favorite and he is assembling a staff, yet hasn't had an interview in cleveland until Friday. Supposedly wants to bring in Nick Cesario from the pats front office.

Well that just got reported but i guess its for a non-HC position because the Giants just hired Pats ST coordinator and WR Coach Joe Judge to be their HC

So Wink is safe and staying for another year

just the browns to wait on
Awesome when I heard Ruhle went to Panthers I was concerned so this is fantastic news. Only job left is Cleveland and they are all over the map.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Well that just got reported but i guess its for a non-HC position because the Giants just hired Pats ST coordinator and WR Coach Joe Judge to be their HC

So Wink is safe and staying for another year

just the browns to wait on

Have to say I'm surprised it took this long after Harbs' success for a ST Coordinator to be hired. Looks like unless Cleveland hires Roman or Wink, we will make it through with both in tact.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

steve wyche is pissed about the giants
it really looks like Bieniemy is getting passed over again... he's probably been among the top 2 or 3 candidates for a HC job the last 2 years

this reminds me of Teryl Austin

Seems again media is upset at the lack of minority hires, and people say the NFL is in a downward trend. Sorry but if you can't get the job done, you should be fired regardless of race. Wish the media would stop with this PC angle.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Seems again media is upset at the lack of minority hires, and people say the NFL is in a downward trend. Sorry but if you can't get the job done, you should be fired regardless of race. Wish the media would stop with this PC angle.
Somewhere along the line your thought process made a switch, so the second part doesn't seem to have any relation to what you began with.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
From Rap Sheet:

The #Panthers are signing new coach Matt Rhule to a 7-year, $62M contract, source said, which includes a $2.5M signing bonus. He has incentives for team goals including winning seasons, playoff wins and Super Bowls that take him far beyond $62M. A pretty large commitment.

Rhule apparently gave the Giants a chance to match and they smartly declined. Tepper paid way too much.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
From Rap Sheet:

The #Panthers are signing new coach Matt Rhule to a 7-year, $62M contract, source said, which includes a $2.5M signing bonus. He has incentives for team goals including winning seasons, playoff wins and Super Bowls that take him far beyond $62M. A pretty large commitment.

Rhule apparently gave the Giants a chance to match and they smartly declined. Tepper paid way too much.

what makes you say he paid too much?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m most surprised if Bienemy isn’t going anywhere. That was really a shocker to me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m most surprised if Bienemy isn’t going anywhere. That was really a shocker to me.
I'd have to agree with that. I would have loved him here last year, if Harbaugh was in fact traded. That being said, you have to wonder if he is being hindered because he doesn't call plays in Kansas City. It certainly didn't hurt Pederson or Nagy in year one, though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd have to agree with that. I would have loved him here last year, if Harbaugh was in fact traded. That being said, you have to wonder if he is being hindered because he doesn't call plays in Kansas City. It certainly didn't hurt Pederson or Nagy in year one, though.

or many other hires around the league... when qb coaches and positional coaches are getting hired that ceases to be a big deal - and its not like he's not actually the OC - he's game-planning through the week like every other coordinator he just doesnt pick the playcalls on gameday - but its even more ridiculous than that because yes andy reid calls in the plays but guess he communicates them to the qb etc. and actually calls them in? Bieniemy - literally the only thing Reid does is pick the play which yes that's important but it ignores the fact that its only a tiny fraction of what a coordinator does

on top of that he's got one of the most respected coaches in the league (with a verifiably incredibly successful coaching tree) pounding the table for him and he still isnt being given a fair shake

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
what makes you say he paid too much?

Considering Rhule has never been a Head Coach in the NFL before and as I posted in the random discussion thread, his annual salary puts him 6th highest paid coaches in the NFL, he's right behind Harbaugh. That is too much to give a college coach coming into the league as a first time head coach. He shouldn't be making anywhere near the top 5 coaches and what they make, not until he it works out and he wins a Super Bowl. Just too much money, I know there is no salary cap for coaches but too much unknown surrounding it to give that much.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Considering Rhule has never been a Head Coach in the NFL before and as I posted in the random discussion thread, his annual salary puts him 6th highest paid coaches in the NFL, he's right behind Harbaugh. That is too much to give a college coach coming into the league as a first time head coach. He shouldn't be making anywhere near the top 5 coaches and what they make, not until he it works out and he wins a Super Bowl. Just too much money, I know there is no salary cap for coaches but too much unknown surrounding it to give that much.

right but tepper's got so much money and he's rebuilding his organisation - and the crucial bit is the bit you mentioned: there's no salary cap so he can pay him as much as he wants