• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Division Round vs Titans

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I know I’m looking wayyyyyy ahead, but if we face the Chiefs in the AFCCG, what the hell is our game plan on defense? Mahomes is great against the blitz and if we can’t generate pressure, we’ll be playing catch-up. I really don’t want to see them in the playoffs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know I’m looking wayyyyyy ahead, but if we face the Chiefs in the AFCCG, what the hell is our game plan on defense? Mahomes is great against the blitz and if we can’t generate pressure, we’ll be playing catch-up. I really don’t want to see them in the playoffs.
It doesn’t matter how great a qb is against the blitz when he’s throwing to covered receivers.

that’s the best thing about this defense, the blitz doesn’t have to get home every time because our DBs can lock down essentially any group. If it creates pressure it forces covered throws and throwaways, if it gets home it’s a sack, if it’s completely blocked then we’re still able to hold on long enough in coverage.

also, mahomes is an improviser, a risk taker, and a SPOT THROWER. One thing that really makes the chiefs go is the receivers ability to locate the ball up high and run under it and catch it in whatever opening mahomes finds, Marcus Peters being a ball hawk and film junkie strikes me as the type who will make mahomes pay, I think he will be able to sniff out those openings and bait the throws and make plays on them. Also; we really need to consider blitzing Earl Thomas less against a team like the chiefs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It doesn’t matter how great a qb is against the blitz when he’s throwing to covered receivers.

that’s the best thing about this defense, the blitz doesn’t have to get home every time because our DBs can lock down essentially any group. If it creates pressure it forces covered throws and throwaways, if it gets home it’s a sack, if it’s completely blocked then we’re still able to hold on long enough in coverage.

also, mahomes is an improviser, a risk taker, and a SPOT THROWER. One thing that really makes the chiefs go is the receivers ability to locate the ball up high and run under it and catch it in whatever opening mahomes finds, Marcus Peters being a ball hawk and film junkie strikes me as the type who will make mahomes pay, I think he will be able to sniff out those openings and bait the throws and make plays on them. Also; we really need to consider blitzing Earl Thomas less against a team like the chiefs.

if we do play them it probably will be about which defence can steal a possession either by getting the opposing offence behind the sticks with a holding penalty or sack or by actually forcing a turnover - both teams will score points, that's inevitable... they are 2 of the most efficient offences (when mahomes was actually in the team) in the history of the league so it's about which defence can get the stop - we didnt have to play against tyreek hill in week 3 but we also didnt have jimmy smith, marcus peters, josh bynes, lj fort, jihad ward, domata peko, chuck clark (as a starter) at that point too and even if we concede points what the defence has done well is that even when it's given up yards in the first half it's managed to hold teams to 3 points and adjusted at the half - no team has been able to stop lamar and this offence and a chiefs team that's missing thornhill now is potentially going to get wrecked by this version of lamar that they've not come across yet (+ it'll be in baltimore)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if we do play them it probably will be about which defence can steal a possession either by getting the opposing offence behind the sticks with a holding penalty or sack or by actually forcing a turnover - both teams will score points, that's inevitable... they are 2 of the most efficient offences (when mahomes was actually in the team) in the history of the league so it's about which defence can get the stop - we didnt have to play against tyreek hill in week 3 but we also didnt have jimmy smith, marcus peters, josh bynes, lj fort, jihad ward, domata peko, chuck clark (as a starter) at that point too and even if we concede points what the defence has done well is that even when it's given up yards in the first half it's managed to hold teams to 3 points and adjusted at the half - no team has been able to stop lamar and this offence and a chiefs team that's missing thornhill now is potentially going to get wrecked by this version of lamar that they've not come across yet (+ it'll be in baltimore)
Didn’t know thornhill was out, that’s major considering our passing game is TE based.

iirc andrews did absolutely nothing against the chiefs. If he can be his usual self vs the chiefs he would be a big difference maker, Hollywood should be the closest to 100% he’s been all year and dammit we gotta use him more, and also I still don’t trust KCs ability to man the hell up and stop a strong run game, which is something we definitely didn’t use much of in week 3

For some reason I have a horrible feeling about ya facing the chiefs, but I’m pulling out all the reasons why I should feel confident

also even more often forgotten is the fact that we lost that game in 1 quarter... that 2nd quarter we gave up 17 points and scored 0 - with a turnover on downs and 2 punts

Last edited by a moderator:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Didn’t know thornhill was out, that’s major considering our passing game is TE based.

iirc andrews did absolutely nothing against the chiefs. If he can be his usual self vs the chiefs he would be a big difference maker, Hollywood should be the closest to 100% he’s been all year and dammit we gotta use him more, and also I still don’t trust KCs ability to man the hell up and stop a strong run game, which is something we definitely didn’t use much of in week 3

For some reason I have a horrible feeling about ya facing the chiefs, but I’m pulling out all the reasons why I should feel confident.

also important to remember we had 450 yards of offence that day and lost - lamar nearly passed for 300 and ingram went over 100 on the ground and we lost because our defence gave up 500 and still we were 1 good screen (by the chiefs) away from having the ball back with the opportunity to go down the field with a 2 minute drill to win the game

honestly im worried about the chiefs only because they have been our bogeyman so far
recontextualising everything that happened in that game and everything that's happened since we're a much better team all round than them - we ran them close in tricky circumstances with anthony averett starting at corner and tony jefferson and peanut and board/kenny young

like emotionally im still nervous about all these games but the rational part of my brain tells me that that's ok but that i really shouldnt be

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

For some reason I have a horrible feeling about ya facing the chiefs, but I’m pulling out all the reasons why I should feel confident

also even more often forgotten is the fact that we lost that game in 1 quarter... that 2nd quarter we gave up 17 points and scored 0 - with a turnover on downs and 2 punts
totally agree we need to use Hollywood more. BTW, Brown is the 4th best WR against press coverage in the NFL.

corvo

Practice Squad
Pats are some proud old warriors, both coaches and players. They've seen it all. Belichick has seen Tannehill umpteen times. I think they use strategy and technique to get it done at home in the divisional round against a physically superior Tennessee team. I think the Titans coaching staff will get outwitted and out-schemed.

I really haven't watched much of anything from Houston (didn't get to watch ours) and don't have a great feel for them so I can't predict the game. But I'm not worried about the Bills. Yeah, Allen missed some throws in our game, but both offenses were stymied by the weather. In dry weather, the Bills don't keep up with us offensively.

Of the five, the Chiefs are the biggest problem because of sheer team speed and potentially sensational offense. Luckily, they seem to be cursed in the playoffs ^_^

JAAM

Hall of Famer
They haven’t seen us yet. They’ve beaten two playoff teams and the Texans rested their starters. We’ve smacked Tannehill around before, don’t let his resurgence scare you. They’re 0-0 against Lamar. Contain Henry and let’s see what happens. This is the team I wanted to play the most in the playoffs.