• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Murphy's Law and The Ravens

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we can all agree that chris wormley was a waste of time and basically stayed at the same level over the last 2 years. An average NFL player
just like we feared, he was a high floor very low ceiling player coming out of the draft

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we can all agree that chris wormley was a waste of time and basically stayed at the same level over the last 2 years. An average NFL player
just like we feared, he was a high floor very low ceiling player coming out of the draft
Yes

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
We haven't made much of an investment in terms of high draft picks in D line (including edge/pass rush) and when we somewhat tried, we missed. We have been held hostage to outdated thinking - big bodies taking lot of space but no speed and athleticism - and bad contracts, so even when we got a good one, we couldn't pay him after his rookie years. Add to this pretty average coaching, I'm generous here, post late coach Brooks and here we are.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
The whole team looked distracted. Makes me wonder if the Browns interview fucked up with Roman’s mind or something. It’s almost as if they told him they were worried about him as a passing coordinator and he wanted to prove them wrong. Earl Thomas also looks especially stupid after his comments on Henry.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
We need to find a Cam Chancellor type to deal with big bruising backs if they get through the d line AND against TE's such as Kelce

I know, they don't grow on trees BUT that's the player we need to find this offseason

flynismo

Practice Squad
Putting words in your mouth? Lol

You think Mark Ingram was important to our teams running success and I dont really agree. Hes good but it's a system and online that works. Annnd Lamar out ran him soooo

Mark Ingram has never ran for more than 1100 yards in his career only 3x 1000 seasons out of 9, and has missed games due to injury in 4 of 8 years in N.O. a trend which caught up to him this year with us at the worst possible time.

He is a good runner, respect his talent but all im saying his cocky immature attitude and inability to back it up had turned us into the Laughing stock of the NFL at the moment. I understand it's not his fault we lost, but he certainly did nothing to help us win.

You can ask anyone who knew Lamar Jackson during his high school days he was always the baddest dude on the field and he used to let you hear it, but clearly he is doing everything in his power to play it cool and modest in the NFL.

But here comes Mark Ingram to kiss upto and over hype a guy who doesn't want all that anyway. I like the brotherhood theme but Mark Ingram needs to quiet down next year

What world do you live in that a 14-2 team is a "laughing stock", when everyone and their grandmother were praying to god that they did not have to meet us in the postseason?

When Ray Lewis was past his prime, he was still worth every penny we paid him. Why? Because of his leadership, his ability to keep everyone focused and pumped up, even when his performance on the field declined. Mark Ingram has become that leader for us. And he can still play, regardless of whether you choose to ignore his importance to our offense. We will be Big Trussing louder than ever next year; may as well get used to it.

flynismo

Practice Squad
We need to find a Cam Chancellor type to deal with big bruising backs if they get through the d line AND against TE's such as Kelce

I know, they don't grow on trees BUT that's the player we need to find this offseason

That would be great, but our #1 priority needs to be to revamp our LB situation. This is a game where losing Mosely really hurt us. And I'd love to see a fierce pass rusher opposite Judon.

Aside from that, TEN really exposed our interior pass protection. I'm not thrilled with our LG and C, and if Yanda retires....yikes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Coming from one of the most consistent haters in Ravens history Im just gonna say no to that. Even going back to the Br.com forums for years all you ever do is doubt, [profanity deleted] moan, with some of the worst takes Ive ever heard, so IDC what you have to say.

Trying to be positive now doesnt negate years of hate and negativity from you lololol
in regards to what sami just said to you, it doesn't matter who said it. I could have said the same thing to you, because it is the truth and I'll back his words. We all have differences of opinion with sami, but that's what they are, opinions.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
And I remember that Browns game. Go look back at all the haters saying "Fire Harbaugh" " Seasons over!" You can find my post in there LOL'ing all the haters saying the season was over after week 4. Haha it was a shtshow, and all I could do was laugh.

Important? Not really. A good RB yes but I can guarantee you can plug and play nearly any RB next to Lamar and have similar success.

Who is more important to the Ravens rushing success? Ingram or Jackson?

You act as if we have never had 1000 yard rushers/ pro bowl RBs beforec of running the ball. Remember when Justin Forsett ran for 1200 yards?

Mark Ingram is a good RB but when we needed him most he was no good.

When asked about Ingram's status Harbaugh said "Ingram could have played against the Steelers" and was a game time decision. So I don't want to hear excuses. Kevin Durant had a far worse calf injury and gutted it out playing his heart out nearly swaying the outcome of the tough Finals game until he tore his Achilles. Different sport but still Mark Ingram should have just been inactive yesterday, and Gus given more opportunities.

I dont want to hear about game script either, how many times did he talk smack about being A receiving back. "Recep-Back!!!" "big truss".

All that sht talk has to stop. Clearly he aint no receiving back because N.O. replaced him with Alvin Kamara and Latavius Murray.
This seems a little harsh, is it Ingram’s fault that Harbaugh was smokescreening his opponents game planning? We did pretty good overall in the injury department this year up until Ingram, this was really unfortunate for our offense to happen so late.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I solved it... I know why we lost it’s my fault.... I watch the game every week in my “man cave” last year for the playoff game and this year for the playoff game I watched it in my living room with my wife this is it I can not watch games in the living room or with my wife ever again

to the pit of misery you go

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Maybe we re-open talks with NY to acquire Jamal Adams in the offseason.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
what a [profanity deleted] you are. I actually said before a game was played with peters when we traded for him that I liked him more than ramsey.

Yes, the peters trade and the revamped ILB core changed things. if we hadnt made changes the seaon would have been over. at that point i said we're fucked and then we made the changes and the trade and you'll notice my tone change ( see the threads)
you're tone did change, so thank you for that, but sometimes you are a little overbearing in the way you state things. Sometimes being unrealistic in the players we could get with trading up, because we can't trade up all the time, but that's my opinion. I appreciate how you have been this season and it hasn't gone unnoticed. Even with our revamped ILB core, we really need to improve that this offseason. We need someone who in time will be able to have the green dot and that would give us two players with that capability, in case one went down.

I'd like to redo most of our front seven, because I believe due to coaching we absolutely performed over our talent level. We have a tremendous secondary, but our front seven needs revamping.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s Monday morning now, still hurts. In fact, I’m getting more mad thinking about how my trip to Baltimore and seeing old friends has been ruined. Robbed of a great experience even if we did lose to the Chiefs.

I hate the fucking Titans

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I'd like to redo most of our front seven, because I believe due to coaching we absolutely performed over our talent level. We have a tremendous secondary, but our front seven needs revamping.
Absolutely this. We need a need a new shiny ILB, move Brandon Williams to DT if Pierce leaves, get two DE’s who can generate the pass rush and at least one premier OLB. We NEED to replicate SF’s front seven. Easier said than done in one offseason, but we need to be aggressive

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Held off on posting my "takes" for a few days, mostly to let the hangover and stench of disappointment dissipate.

1. We got outcoached... badly. It was pretty clear by the 2nd quarter that we had real no offensive direction, and that the idea that we may fall behind in a game by more than 7 points was something we were totally unprepared for. Somehow, we abandoned the run in an 8 point game for a lengthy period of time. It would be hard to sell the idea that we can't run the ball just because Ingram is hurt.

I understand the thought that the Titans pushed us around up front, and that they committed to stopping the run, but that doesn't mean you stop running it all together. And we did.

Roman had as bad of a day as any player did in my opinion.

I, like everybody, have loved the aggressiveness of Harbaugh all year long. But in my opinion, this game should have been all about forcing the Titans to sustain long drives and go the length of the field. And they weren't able to do that.

Trailing 7-0 on your own 45 yard line, and you go for it on 4th and 1. To me, the risk doesn't even equal the reward. If you get it, great, now what? Still need 20 more yards just to get in FG range. If you don't get it, your opponent is 10 yards away from a double digit lead in a playoff game, and the air is sucked out of the building. AND, when its clear that your team has no plan for what to do when trailing by 10+ points, I'm not putting my team in that spot.

2. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I found what Henry did to be largely irrelevant in this game. Nice stats, popped off a long run or two, but most of it was later in the game with a good lead. The Titans (with help from the Ravens) forced sloppy turnovers and capitalized on our mistakes. We've had mistakes this year, but we typically do a good job of limiting them. That didn't happen today.

Short fields all day long. Three scoring drives for the Titans of 45 yards or less. You could give the Redskins that kind of field position, and they'd make it a game. Certainly not going to work with a playoff team.

3. This is the game everybody said we couldn't win, and they were right. How do you beat the Ravens? Get out in front early, and make Lamar throw it to beat you. He put up gawdy stats, but early in the 2nd half it was clear that it wasn't going to matter.

I'm not going to spend time calling out individual players, because very few warrant mentioning as having a "good game". Tons of dropped passes, Oline got owned, and the defense, while I didn't think played terribly, got bullied late in the game and were the least physical team on the field.

For me, it was the most disappointing loss in franchise history, and I don't think that's a stretch. Top seed in the league, the "big bear" in the AFC already knocked out, and a home game one step from the AFCCG game. Getting beat in a close game is one thing. Getting owned in your building by a team that did nothing more than capitalize on your own mistakes is a tough pill to swallow.

This one will sting all the way through the offseason.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Held off on posting my "takes" for a few days, mostly to let the hangover and stench of disappointment dissipate.

1. We got outcoached... badly. It was pretty clear by the 2nd quarter that we had real no offensive direction, and that the idea that we may fall behind in a game by more than 7 points was something we were totally unprepared for. Somehow, we abandoned the run in an 8 point game for a lengthy period of time. It would be hard to sell the idea that we can't run the ball just because Ingram is hurt.

I understand the thought that the Titans pushed us around up front, and that they committed to stopping the run, but that doesn't mean you stop running it all together. And we did.

Roman had as bad of a day as any player did in my opinion.

I, like everybody, have loved the aggressiveness of Harbaugh all year long. But in my opinion, this game should have been all about forcing the Titans to sustain long drives and go the length of the field. And they weren't able to do that.

Trailing 7-0 on your own 45 yard line, and you go for it on 4th and 1. To me, the risk doesn't even equal the reward. If you get it, great, now what? Still need 20 more yards just to get in FG range. If you don't get it, your opponent is 10 yards away from a double digit lead in a playoff game, and the air is sucked out of the building. AND, when its clear that your team has no plan for what to do when trailing by 10+ points, I'm not putting my team in that spot.

2. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I found what Henry did to be largely irrelevant in this game. Nice stats, popped off a long run or two, but most of it was later in the game with a good lead. The Titans (with help from the Ravens) forced sloppy turnovers and capitalized on our mistakes. We've had mistakes this year, but we typically do a good job of limiting them. That didn't happen today.

Short fields all day long. Three scoring drives for the Titans of 45 yards or less. You could give the Redskins that kind of field position, and they'd make it a game. Certainly not going to work with a playoff team.

3. This is the game everybody said we couldn't win, and they were right. How do you beat the Ravens? Get out in front early, and make Lamar throw it to beat you. He put up gawdy stats, but early in the 2nd half it was clear that it wasn't going to matter.

I'm not going to spend time calling out individual players, because very few warrant mentioning as having a "good game". Tons of dropped passes, Oline got owned, and the defense, while I didn't think played terribly, got bullied late in the game and were the least physical team on the field.

For me, it was the most disappointing loss in franchise history, and I don't think that's a stretch. Top seed in the league, the "big bear" in the AFC already knocked out, and a home game one step from the AFCCG game. Getting beat in a close game is one thing. Getting owned in your building by a team that did nothing more than capitalize on your own mistakes is a tough pill to swallow.

This one will sting all the way through the offseason.
Great summary. Live by the analytics , die by the analytics. Harbaugh didn’t have his pulse on the game, reckless decisions cost us and made the comeback a tougher obstacle. It was painful to watch because the game was so winnable. We blew the greatest opportunity we’ve ever had in the playoffs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i hated the pick, then was really excited after his rookie year - but yeah it has been borne out - i think we must have just got over-excited or he was over-hyped by Jim Harbaugh - was the second draft we had after Harbaugh took over at Michigan and I wonder if the insider info fooled us a little in thinking that it would be as good as the bama info we'd get (also that the programs would be similarly effective at developing NFL talent)

he was a 5th rounder on my board and i think i just let his decent play as a rookie while playing not many snaps fool me