• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Murphy's Law and The Ravens

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They deserved hate during the post 2012 years.
They dont deserve this kind of hate after 1 bad loss in a 14 win season.

At the end of the day there was always a chance we'd lose vs anyone of these teams ( esp on a bad day).

you are absolutely right

that's the thing that's being lost in the context - this 1 loss doesnt undo how dominant and fun this team was the rest of the season - it literally took a calamity where everything that had to go wrong for us to lose, did go wrong

its a league of professional teams where apart from maybe 4-5 teams at the bottom, the difference between them is not so great that luck and chance wont impact wins and losses

we made errors and got unlucky to a ridiculous degree - if even 1 of those high-leverage plays changes for us to a positive result then the whole game plays out completely differently - that didnt happen and we lost but you're completely right - that doesnt undo how amazing the rest of the year was

its hard not to think of the season as being oddly tainted though but ill just have to compartmentalise it - ive never had more fun in a regular season than this one - and ive never personally been more heartbroken by a playoff loss - the latter doesnt negate the former

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is an important tweet to read for those criticising Roman for the lack of total running plays etc. criticise for the playcalls in specific situations but to just use a blanket statement about using the run is to ignore the fact that we were forced away from the run and before that we were pretty balanced - the bigger problem is the fact that those running plays weren't effective

it's why i think you could argue the game-planning was bad but not really the play-calling balance - this loss unfortunately though i put way more on player execution than anything else

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is an important tweet to read for those criticising Roman for the lack of total running plays etc. criticise for the playcalls in specific situations but to just use a blanket statement about using the run is to ignore the fact that we were forced away from the run and before that we were pretty balanced - the bigger problem is the fact that those running plays weren't effective

it's why i think you could argue the game-planning was bad but not really the play-calling balance - this loss unfortunately though i put way more on player execution than anything else

I still think the players and team overlooked the Titans. We had plenty of bad coaching calls, like some of our aggressiveness. We gave Tennessee easy field position too much and made too many mistakes. If we didn’t make those mistakes I’m certain we would’ve won. The second INT & fumble are mistakes we wouldn’t have made if guys were executing well. Lamar wasn’t amazing but he played good enough to win early in the game and then pressed in the second half to put the team on his back. His guys let him down and he panicked to try to will a win.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good player, terrible fit personality wise.
People said similar stuff about Peters though. Then again, they said the same stuff about Ramsey. I guess I see your point but I’m not sure how I feel about it. Not sure if I agree or not.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
People said similar stuff about Peters though. Then again, they said the same stuff about Ramsey. I guess I see your point but I’m not sure how I feel about it. Not sure if I agree or not.
Peters is completely different.
Adams and Ramsey just can't shut their traps, talking mostly about their own selves and sometimes about stuff that should not be out in public.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm honestly kinda surprised the media is killing Lamar as bad as I thought they would

A lot of people are saying he deserves some blame but not all of it. And they all point to his age at 23 and saying other great QBs lost early in their career.

Makes me feel a little better....but not much

I'm still in shock that we lost and our seasons over. Cant really come to grips with it...

Tank

Hall of Famer
Winning and playing well in the regular season makes for pleasant Sundays rooting for our team, but at the end of it all it’s about winning in the tournament. All the hard work was aimed at winning the division, getting the #1 seed and that was squandered away by a lack of poise and poor execution. For me 2019 = big bust.

But hey, as always there’s next year and a hope that the pain of failure brings renewed focus and success.

Justin Diaz-Thomas

Practice Squad
I thought I would feel better after a couple of days but I'm still jiggling with rage. That Seth Roberts dropped that would of been a TD keeps replaying in my fucking mind

Nurps

MVP
Thank god I was so drunk I don't remember all the details like you guys, lol. Its depressing enough we squandered our season like that by taking a giant shit in M&T.

Nurps

MVP
i feel like i did it somehow in the worst possible way - i was hungover and coming down from the night before still while the game was on - so i was already in pain before the game even started lol

Im so superstitious like that as well. I feel guilty because I've been relatively soberish for every game this season...… except this one. Maybe our powers combined royally fucked us lol.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Im so superstitious like that as well. I feel guilty because I've been relatively soberish for every game this season...… except this one. Maybe our powers combined royally fucked us lol.
Totally your fault. Hope you enjoyed yourself. lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

For me, its not really so much a question of abandoning the run, though the first drive in the 3rd quarter, in a 14-6 game, was dropback heavy. A lot of the "runs" that occurred on that drive weren't designed runs... Lamar had multiple drop back/scrambles, including the biggest play of the drive, which was a 30 yard run on a designed pass play.

In particular, the first two drives of the 2nd half. We had 4 first downs on the opening drive of the half, and we threw the ball on 1st down on every single one of them. We completed zero of those passes, and then proceeded to run the ball on 2nd down on 3 of those second downs.

One of the reasons the Ravens offense was so effective this season is deception and maintaining quality down/distance. A lot of 3rd and shorts, where the play book is wide open. Not a lot of negative plays. That's not to say that you have to run the ball on every first down, but it helps to make the defense think about it.

Here's some eye popping stats for me:
2nd quarter (Tennessee started leading 14-0, ended leading 14-6):
Ravens ran 11 plays on 1st and 10. 9 of those plays were pass plays, and they completed a whopping TWO passes for a net gain of just 4 yards. That includes an 8 yard loss on a sack.

They ran 5 more 1st and 10 plays in the third quarter before falling behind 28-6. All 5 plays were pass plays, ZERO passes were completed, and the last resulted in a sack fumble that led to a game-seizing TD.

So that's five possessions in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, never being behind by more than 15 points, and you threw the ball on 14 of 16 first down plays, going 2/14 for -2 net yards, including two sacks and a fumbled turnover.

flynismo

Practice Squad
Held off on posting my "takes" for a few days, mostly to let the hangover and stench of disappointment dissipate.

1. We got outcoached... badly. It was pretty clear by the 2nd quarter that we had real no offensive direction, and that the idea that we may fall behind in a game by more than 7 points was something we were totally unprepared for. Somehow, we abandoned the run in an 8 point game for a lengthy period of time. It would be hard to sell the idea that we can't run the ball just because Ingram is hurt.

I understand the thought that the Titans pushed us around up front, and that they committed to stopping the run, but that doesn't mean you stop running it all together. And we did.

Roman had as bad of a day as any player did in my opinion.

I, like everybody, have loved the aggressiveness of Harbaugh all year long. But in my opinion, this game should have been all about forcing the Titans to sustain long drives and go the length of the field. And they weren't able to do that.

Trailing 7-0 on your own 45 yard line, and you go for it on 4th and 1. To me, the risk doesn't even equal the reward. If you get it, great, now what? Still need 20 more yards just to get in FG range. If you don't get it, your opponent is 10 yards away from a double digit lead in a playoff game, and the air is sucked out of the building. AND, when its clear that your team has no plan for what to do when trailing by 10+ points, I'm not putting my team in that spot.

2. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I found what Henry did to be largely irrelevant in this game. Nice stats, popped off a long run or two, but most of it was later in the game with a good lead. The Titans (with help from the Ravens) forced sloppy turnovers and capitalized on our mistakes. We've had mistakes this year, but we typically do a good job of limiting them. That didn't happen today.

Short fields all day long. Three scoring drives for the Titans of 45 yards or less. You could give the Redskins that kind of field position, and they'd make it a game. Certainly not going to work with a playoff team.

3. This is the game everybody said we couldn't win, and they were right. How do you beat the Ravens? Get out in front early, and make Lamar throw it to beat you. He put up gawdy stats, but early in the 2nd half it was clear that it wasn't going to matter.

I'm not going to spend time calling out individual players, because very few warrant mentioning as having a "good game". Tons of dropped passes, Oline got owned, and the defense, while I didn't think played terribly, got bullied late in the game and were the least physical team on the field.

For me, it was the most disappointing loss in franchise history, and I don't think that's a stretch. Top seed in the league, the "big bear" in the AFC already knocked out, and a home game one step from the AFCCG game. Getting beat in a close game is one thing. Getting owned in your building by a team that did nothing more than capitalize on your own mistakes is a tough pill to swallow.

This one will sting all the way through the offseason.

I don't see it as the most disappointing loss ever. I had a very bad feeling about this game; all signs were pointing to exactly what happened. What I found frustrating was all of the drops. We catch just three or four of those passes, and this game likely has a different outcome. Ah well, this offseason should be interesting

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't see it as the most disappointing loss ever. I had a very bad feeling about this game; all signs were pointing to exactly what happened. What I found frustrating was all of the drops. We catch just three or four of those passes, and this game likely has a different outcome. Ah well, this offseason should be interesting
For me, its not even close that it's the most disappointing. I suppose you could argue that the preseason expectations weren't as high, because I don't think a lot of people viewed us as legit SB contenders heading into the season. But from about November on, there was nobody that could even argue they were in our class. Elite offensive team, top 10 defensive team. To not even win a playoff game is a major disappointment in my eyes.

I could easily live with a home loss to KC in the AFC title game. In fact, I would have expected it. But to get beat at home by a team that was pretty average for most of the year, and get beat the way we did (many, many, many mistakes, and getting physically bullied), is a very tough pill to swallow.

And I'm not one of these people who thinks its a certainty that this team will just come back and win 11-12 games + next year. I think our division only gets harder, and the teams around us only get better. Hopefully we will too.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kinda how I saw it too. I didn’t look past TEN and think we’d roll them over and would automatically be in the AFCCG. I know others didn’t either. They’ve got pieces around them and they’re on a roll and hot atm. They have momentum and you have to respect that. Honestly it didn’t look like our players respected them and that some of them looked past them. That’s my personal belief anyway

flynismo

Practice Squad
For me, its not even close that it's the most disappointing. I suppose you could argue that the preseason expectations weren't as high, because I don't think a lot of people viewed us as legit SB contenders heading into the season. But from about November on, there was nobody that could even argue they were in our class. Elite offensive team, top 10 defensive team. To not even win a playoff game is a major disappointment in my eyes.

I could easily live with a home loss to KC in the AFC title game. In fact, I would have expected it. But to get beat at home by a team that was pretty average for most of the year, and get beat the way we did (many, many, many mistakes, and getting physically bullied), is a very tough pill to swallow.

And I'm not one of these people who thinks its a certainty that this team will just come back and win 11-12 games + next year. I think our division only gets harder, and the teams around us only get better. Hopefully we will too.

Don't you see it though? Doesn't this Titans team remind you of another team, circa 2012?
Average during the season.
Stumbled into the playoffs.
Went on to slaughter all of the favorites in the playoffs?