• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Murphy's Law and The Ravens

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Now that's how you handle a troll. I'll let it go. Here's to future games and the draft!
p.s. You guys maybe should chip in and get JAAM some counseling. Dude takes the internet way too serious.

Have a good one.
Again RF here's to what I hope is a rejuvenated rivalry.
Congrats on y'alls victory. You guys punched us in the mouth and we had no answer

This one stings....but well be back

Top to bottom I don’t think we could have asked for a better coaching staff this year. Together they put the team in a position to perform at an unprecedented level. My take on last night’s failure is when faced with adversity it got in the players heads and they failed to execute. Plain and simple, they choked.

Yes they did choke. The other thing is this Tenn. team is legit. They have been battling the past 3 weeks while our guys have been getting manicures and soaking in the sauna. Lol. They were flying under radar and had nothing to lose. The ravens were hyped to the max, were picked by most to win, and had everything to lose. So yes, saying they choked is appropriate.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is the second playoff game in a row where the offensive line failed to show up. It's concerning.

How do you dominate during the season and then flop twice now in postseason play?

we don't go for it under any circumstance. We use analytics and we have been an aggressive team all season. Hell this team would be pissed if we didn't make the 4th and 2 vs. the Seahawks where we scored a TD and basically iced the game in Seattle that turned our season around.

You don't come into the playoffs and all of a sudden decide to play the game different. I totally support the decision.

Hindsight is 2020
Um, I may be a newbie at this site but i've been watching NFL football since the 70s. I remember the '72 Dolphins. It wasn't 'analytics' that made Harbs go for it on 4th and 2 to pull ahead of Seattle at CenturyLink. It was Jackson screaming at Harbaugh to reverse himself by calling timeout, pulling his field goal unit off the field and putting him back under center to go for it. And of course Harbaugh second-guessed himself by obeying his QB. Browbeating your head coach into reversing himself isn't analytics - it's taking charge when wise play-calling is lacking. And other critical factors supported Jackson's 4th & 2 call that didn't exist last night. Namely, in the Seattle game, the Ravens were on the Seahawks' 8 yard line - not their own 48. Also, the game was knotted up at 13 late in the 3rd with a guy named Russell Wilson running the opposing offense in his home stadium (the 2nd most difficult place for visiting teams to play). Under those circumstances Jackson had the sense to know that settling for a field goal wouldn't be enough to overcome Seattle's Mr. Clutch comeback-QB in the 4th period. Playing in your own stadium in the 1st quarter at midfield and down by 7 is a universe away from the circumstances Harbs' Ravens faced in Seattle last October.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Um, I may be a newbie at this site but i've been watching NFL football since the 70s. I remember the '72 Dolphins. It wasn't 'analytics' that made Harbs go for it on 4th and 2 to pull ahead of Seattle at CenturyLink. It was Jackson screaming at Harbaugh to reverse himself by calling timeout, pulling his field goal unit off the field and putting him back under center to go for it. And of course Harbaugh second-guessed himself by obeying his QB. Browbeating your head coach into reversing himself isn't analytics - it's taking charge when wise play-calling is lacking. And other critical factors supported Jackson's 4th & 2 call that didn't exist last night. Namely, in the Seattle game, the Ravens were on the Seahawks' 8 yard line - not their own 48. Also, the game was knotted up at 13 late in the 3rd with a guy named Russell Wilson running the opposing offense in his home stadium (the 2nd most difficult place for visiting teams to play). Under those circumstances Jackson had the sense to know that settling for a field goal wouldn't be enough to overcome Seattle's Mr. Clutch comeback-QB in the 4th period. Playing in your own stadium in the 1st quarter at midfield and down by 7 is a universe away from the circumstances Harbs' Ravens faced in Seattle last October.
Sometimes it's analytics and sometimes you have to trust your players but most of our 4th downs have been analytics and when you have Lamar Jackson that does help. I appreciate your opinion though and we disagree so I'm going to leave it at that. I agree that we really had to go for it during the Seattle game, but I also agree that the 4th and 1 (less than 1) we really needed to go for and trust our defense, which had been doing well to that point.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
That missed tackle by Judon on Tannehill on third down was terrible
I think this game really makes the FO think about if they really want to pay him or let him walk it was bad man that is our biggest weakness I really want Chris Jones it Clowney... I thought Bwill played very good last night he can’t play the entire Dline

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
So do also agree on letting Judon walk?
I’ve been conflicted on this one. I’ve said for a while that re-signing him is a risk. That said, I’ve always liked him as a player. I don’t think he’s a legit #1 pass rusher but felt he was a more well rounded edge defender. He was really surprising against TEN though in a bad way.
I'm grieving in solitary confinement. Leave me the fuck alone please. But, my Lamar Jackson adoration and belief that he'll win multiple championships before he hangs it up isn't going away. In fact I'm doubling down and saying he'll win more SBs than his idol Tom Brady. There you go! Makes me feel a little better.
I just wanted to make sure you were good. I knew you were going to take this as hard as any of us.
WOW

Jamison Hensley

✔@jamisonhensley

Ravens CB Marlon Humphrey on coach John Harbaugh's message from the final team meeting this morning: "I don’t really know the vibe of it. I feel like he’s got to say something in those meetings, so coach sits up there and says whatever."

That's what i call shots fired.
Eh I don’t know if those are shots fired. Just sounds like Humphrey took the loss hard and he’s saying they all did. Not much Harbaugh can say because the truth is what it is.
well, ozzie is not in charge of the draft now, so all that may change.

What is gonna be a problem from here out is that the Titans demonstrated how to defend our QB. Make him beat you with his arm but don't allow him to do it using uncovered Tight Ends. Certainly he can still use his running ability to mesmerize average NFL teams, but come playoff time when the best teams have good defenses and good defensive coordinators it is likely going to change. Still don't believe our guy has an NFL arm or composure. When his legs go, he's not going to be useful.
Lmao people said the same thing about the Chargers last year. Dean Pees didn’t unlock some special cheat code to stop Lamar. They got very lucky with a fluke INT to change momentum else we scored there. We uncharacteristically failed to convert 4th and 1. Then receivers started dropping balls and the interior OL didn’t hold up. Jackson started to try to press and do too much and that’s when it fell apart.
I disagree 100%. Everyone was dropping balls and he had an off game without question. This will not show team show to play lamar and beat him.
Yes, this.
I have to be honest that this offeseaon is going to be a mystery.

If Yanda retires ( and i think that's whats going to happen) do we go after thuney in FA and Keep powers at RG and draft the kid from Wisconsin at C?
Why do you think he will retire?
Harbaugh said the Titans beat us in the trenches. Well I'm glad he figured out why we lost because that is exactly why. Both the Interior OL and DL need to be priorities 1 & 2 in the offseason.
This is exactly what I thought watching it and anyone with eyes thought the same. TEN bullied us when we were on defense that one time and pushed us back like 5 yards on the 4th down sneak.

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
Houston's defense can be invisible. The Chiefs proved that tonight. The Patriots were not the Patriots this year either.

The Ravens were a good enough team to compile the best League Record. They won "The President's Trophy". The Raven's caught the League by surprise and ran a form of "Read Option" that was much better than the Read Option of yore due to how mercurial their QB was. It was a surprise upon a league that was just figuring it out late as the Bills and 49ers games illustrate.

Now for the bad news. The Raven's lost and if this season wasn't the highpoint of number 8's career, there's no peanuts in peanut butter. What the Ravens must do immediately. While the market is Red Hot for him is deal number 8 for draft picks. The timing will NEVER be better. There are Raven fans who think number 8 is going to win a handful of Superbowls. (He aint gonna do that at all. He is gonna blow out an achilles or knee and be almost worthless). Trade him now and build this team into something the Ravens can win long term with and multiple titles with.

Games against New England and Houston are also representative of how they played the league's better teams.

Just didn't show up last night. Actually, it was worse because they weren't just sluggish and uninspired, they actively dug themselves into holes and then just kept digging.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
Sometimes it's analytics and sometimes you have to trust your players but most of our 4th downs have been analytics and when you have Lamar Jackson that does help. I appreciate your opinion though and we disagree so I'm going to leave it at that. I agree that we really had to go for it during the Seattle game, but I also agree that the 4th and 1 (less than 1) we really needed to go for and trust our defense, which had been doing well to that point.
Really? Everyone seems to support the decision to go for it the 2nd time around on 4th down. This was a horrible and game changing call that absolutely failed and was 150% UNNECESSARY. I remember reading the game thread comments, everyone including every football fan everywhere expected...take the points. Yet we ran essentially the same play as our previous 4th down try, and you think Vrabel new who was getting the ball? Yea he did, the players did clearly. Even against the stout 49ers defense Lamar was able to turn that play into a 1st. Titans probably planned for that 1000 times in practice and it showed, twice.

The problem with that horrendous decision was that, number 1- it was too early and too much time left NOT to take pts in a game where we had NOTHING going for us at all. Number 2, even IF you convert a 1st down there is no guarantee you get a TD. A TD makes the score 13-14 so you would have to also convert a 2pt play as well....just to simply tie the game.

Any smart coach takes the pts there. I don't give 2 shts about Lamar Jackson's confidence or "analytics" in that scenario. Common sense says there are too many factors to pass a FG there...1st down, TD, 2pt conversion....JUST to tie the game. Take the friggin FG and kick off with the score 14-9

We were playing like trash at that point and as a veteran HC that's when you put your selfish pride and analytics aside and take the damn points. That's a Patsy move by John Harbaugh, one that made a lot of Ravens fans want him out as HC. And obviously it shook our defense too who got to watch our offense march down the field all for nothing. 2 plays later on defense Derrick Henry rumbles for 66 and throws a TD pass. Again I say I seriously think that 4th down fail was the turning point and took alot of air out of the stadium and shook our defense a bit who had to watch us fail yet again where despite it being early in the 2nd half, we were in desperation mode but nothing to show for it.

Someone said not letting arguably our best player in Justin Tucker do his thing in that situation, is like the equivalent of Pete Carroll's decision to pass on the goal line in the Super bowl. Yep.

And as far as heart break goes, yesterday's loss was damn near just as bad for us as that Seattle game was for them.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Really? Everyone seems to support the decision to go for it the 2nd time around on 4th down. This was a horrible and game changing call that absolutely failed and was 150% UNNECESSARY. I remember reading the game thread comments, everyone including every football fan everywhere expected...take the points. Yet we ran essentially the same play as our previous 4th down try, and you think Vrabel new who was getting the ball? Yea he did, the players did clearly. Even against the stout 49ers defense Lamar was able to turn that play into a 1st. Titans probably planned for that 1000 times in practice and it showed, twice.

The problem with that horrendous decision was that, number 1- it was too early and too much time left NOT to take pts in a game where we had NOTHING going for us at all. Number 2, even IF you convert a 1st down there is no guarantee you get a TD. A TD makes the score 13-14 so you would have to also convert a 2pt play as well....just to simply tie the game.

Any smart coach takes the pts there. I don't give 2 shts about Lamar Jackson's confidence or "analytics" in that scenario. Common sense says there are too many factors to pass a FG there...1st down, TD, 2pt conversion....JUST to tie the game. Take the friggin FG and kick off with the score 14-9

We were playing like trash at that point and as a veteran HC that's when you put your selfish pride and analytics aside and take the damn points. That's a Patsy move by John Harbaugh, one that made a lot of Ravens fans want him out as HC. And obviously it shook our defense too who got to watch our offense march down the field all for nothing. 2 plays later on defense Derrick Henry rumbles for 66 and throws a TD pass. Again I say I seriously think that 4th down fail was the turning point and took alot of air out of the stadium and shook our defense a bit who had to watch us fail yet again where despite it being early in the 2nd half, we were in desperation mode but nothing to show for it.

Someone said not letting arguably our best player in Justin Tucker do his thing in that situation, is like the equivalent of Pete Carroll's decision to pass on the goal line in the Super bowl. Yep.

And as far as heart break goes, yesterday's loss was damn near just as bad for us as that Seattle game was for them.
I’d disagree—making it all the way to and losing the Super Bowl is infinitely worse.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
I’d disagree—making it all the way to and losing the Super Bowl is infinitely worse.
No doubt bud. I will forever see Richsrd Sherman's face/reaction where he essentially cried after the int...that's an NFL history moment.

BUT a record breaking, franchise breaking, #1 seed, MVP QB, league leading Pro Bowl players, Alpha Omega type season. Hyped up Big Truss, diamond chains, swagged out confidence type season? For us Ravens fans who were used to throwing Flacco and his mediocre offense under the bus. Only to get beat by friggin Ryan Tannehill and a most definitely worse/less talented team on our home field?!

The situations are definitely worse given it was a super bowl, but the pain amd embarrassment feels all the same.

We are a fckin joke, worse than Antonio Clown, Brady Lady. We have officially stepped in the waters of Tony Romos Cowboys/ Marvin Lewis' Bungals.

And i hate it. The Lamar Jackson- Vince Young meme....ahhhhhhh!

Gonna hide off social media till mid Feb

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
Man, we really are about to be the only home team to lose this round.

epic levels of embarrassment
Yep. We are a joke. Period. Friggin Mark Ingram had to jynx us with his overhype. I have seen more opposing fans/haters say "Big Truss!/ woo-woo!" in the past 24 hours than we have through our entire season.

Ryan Tannehill met us at the bank and Mark Ingram was busy getting a massage on the sideline. And I don't think Ingram had much to say after the game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yep. We are a joke. Period. Friggin Mark Ingram had to jynx us with his overhype. I have seen more opposing fans/haters say "Big Truss!/ woo-woo!" in the past 24 hours than we have through our entire season.

Ryan Tannehill met us at the bank and Mark Ingram was busy getting a massage on the sideline. And I don't think Ingram had much to say after the game.
jinx us, jinx us. Do you know how ridiculous you sound. BTW, where were you when we were winning. It got silent after the Browns game. Wondered where you were.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
One thing I've been frustrated at is the lack of involvement for Hayden Hurst. This guy is the only person this year who has never left his hands at him. He pretty much has the most reliable set of hands on the team and has made plenty of plays yet has not been involved as much as he should.

Look, I get it, Boyle is among the best blocking TEs in the league, but Hurst has shown that he can block really well too. He deserves to get more playing time and I seriously hope in 2020 that he's more involved, because this is has frustrated me throughout the year. There are games where's he's on the field for 29% of snaps and it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, there's word that he got frustrated on the sideline and screamed: "Just throw me the fu**ing ball." I don't believe it but that's what people who went to the game are saying. I don't blame him if thats true.

Apologize if it’s already been said but I definitely heard him audibly say that during the game after making a nice catch.

This of course makes his drop and lack of awareness that the ball was being thrown to him near the end for a sure TD a lot worse.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
jinx us, jinx us. Do you know how ridiculous you sound. BTW, where were you when we were winning. It got silent after the Browns game. Wondered where you were.
Its all fun and games until you talk smack one too many times and arent even on the field to back it up.

To the point it becomes a damn joke and mockery. I prefer Lamar Jackson's "No one cares work harder mindset".

And I don't really care for your opinions whether you say I sound ridiculous or not. Mark Ingram may not have jinxed us but he set us up as one of the biggest jokes in the league right now and it's not like he had a torn ACL yesterday. Dude was no where to be found.

If I hear big truss one more damn time from a non Ravens fan...

Tank

Hall of Famer
Apologize if it’s already been said but I definitely heard him audibly say that during the game after making a nice catch.

This of course makes his drop and lack of awareness that the ball was being thrown to him near the end for a sure TD a lot worse.
Don’t think that was a “lack of awareness” rather a missed communication between QB and TE.