• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 ILB Draft Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
that 2013 draft class ironically was what made me get into the draft - ive been hella into it and doing my own scouting etc (and getting better every year) since the 2014 class which was really my first proper draft where i actually understood everything

and it only happened because arthur brown and matt elam flamed out

we have 1 guy left on the roster from that draft - brandon williams
we have 3 guys who contributed to comp picks when they left - rick wagner, ryan jensen and kyle juscyzk
we had 1 guy who's gone on to be a successful player elsewhere - john simon
we had 2 notable udfas from that rookie class - marlon brown (who still is tied in first place for franchise rookie td record lol) and brynden trawick

imagine how good that draft would have been in hindsight if we'd nailed even one of the first 2 picks (or even just got a solid starter out of one of them)

with all the 1st round busts we've had as a franchise, it's still amazing that somehow arthur brown might have been the worst draft selection in franchise history - like he's in that conversation which is crazy for a 2nd round pick who didnt shame the franchise in any way off the field
Brown was terrible for us. He provided no return on investment. It’s sad because I liked what I saw from the guy but the off the field intangibles apparently were true. I recall people saying he didn’t love football and wasn’t football IQ smart. They were right because that’s what I heard as a pro and that’s what I saw on the field.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Brown was terrible for us. He provided no return on investment. It’s sad because I liked what I saw from the guy but the off the field intangibles apparently were true. I recall people saying he didn’t love football and wasn’t football IQ smart. They were right because that’s what I heard as a pro and that’s what I saw on the field.

he didnt even get on the field - he had 205 snaps on defence as a rookie and then only had 10 more in his ravens career

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ive let myself consider the possibility of Kenneth Murray in tandem with Otara Olaka as Ive been going back to his college tape.
He is ALWAYS around the ball...I mean he is always around the ball not shy about contact and taking and blocks. He has a knack for slipping blocks and really pretty on point in reading the run. In the backfield a lot. he drops to his drop well enough, though he's not particularly aware in zone but he can improve that.
Perhaps allowing Murray the more "chase" role would do well for him and us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ive let myself consider the possibility of Kenneth Murray in tandem with Otara Olaka as Ive been going back to his college tape.
He is ALWAYS around the ball...I mean he is always around the ball not shy about contact and taking and blocks. He has a knack for slipping blocks and really pretty on point in reading the run. In the backfield a lot. he drops to his drop well enough, though he's not particularly aware in zone but he can improve that.
Perhaps allowing Murray the more "chase" role would do well for him and us.

are you saying you think Alaka wins a starting job this offseason even if we sign someone like Murray? im a bit confused

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
are you saying you think Alaka wins a starting job this offseason even if we sign someone like Murray? im a bit confused
I'm considering the possibility of both of them being ones with LJ Fort in and out. Still watching Alaka.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Have any of you fellas took a look at troy dye yet? He can sure fly. I know we need a MIKE more and dye looks like a WILL but i wouldnt mind him in the later rounds if we dont go with murray or queen with our 1st

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Anyone here understand the Patrick queen hype? I don’t understand it at all, I just watched a game and I saw absolutely nothing, hesitant, slow to react, didn’t anticipate at all, shedding nonexistent...

It was only one game but I have zero interest in watching any more after that debacle. I’m just not seeing it. Murray, who I’m not even real big on, looks like he’s just in a class of his own if queen is the other guy getting first round hype

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Anyone here understand the Patrick queen hype? I don’t understand it at all, I just watched a game and I saw absolutely nothing, hesitant, slow to react, didn’t anticipate at all, shedding nonexistent...

It was only one game but I have zero interest in watching any more after that debacle. I’m just not seeing it. Murray, who I’m not even real big on, looks like he’s just in a class of his own if queen is the other guy getting first round hype

seems to be matt miller driving the patrick queen bus - i cant say anything yet because ive not watched any tape on most of the ILBs yet - most of my watching so far has been QBs, WRs, EDGE, DL, OT

Charm City

Pro Bowler
that 2013 draft class ironically was what made me get into the draft - ive been hella into it and doing my own scouting etc (and getting better every year) since the 2014 class which was really my first proper draft where i actually understood everything

and it only happened because arthur brown and matt elam flamed out

we have 1 guy left on the roster from that draft - brandon williams
we have 3 guys who contributed to comp picks when they left - rick wagner, ryan jensen and kyle juscyzk
we had 1 guy who's gone on to be a successful player elsewhere - john simon
we had 2 notable udfas from that rookie class - marlon brown (who still is tied in first place for franchise rookie td record lol) and brynden trawick

imagine how good that draft would have been in hindsight if we'd nailed even one of the first 2 picks (or even just got a solid starter out of one of them)

with all the 1st round busts we've had as a franchise, it's still amazing that somehow arthur brown might have been the worst draft selection in franchise history - like he's in that conversation which is crazy for a 2nd round pick who didnt shame the franchise in any way off the field
Its funny to think that Brown and Elam were supposed to take over for Ray and Ed

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

He got all his hype from the playoffs from what I understand. Apparently he balled out vs Oklahoma and Clemson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He got all his hype from the playoffs from what I understand. Apparently he balled out vs Oklahoma and Clemson
He was fairly shit vs Oklahoma, just watched it. On a dominant defensive day He literally had about 4 positive influences on plays, and only one of them was a meaningful impact play on a shallow sack he got on a delayed blitz, the other 3 were just regular short gain stops. This came at the result of what I could recall 6 pretty ugly plays where he’s directly victimized, I recall 2 terribly missed open field tackles where’s he’s meeting ballcarrier at the LOS squared up and whiffed, I recall a qb sweep where he was the clean defender who was supposed to make the stop but he overshot the gap by a mile and gave up a chunk, very similar situation near the goal line and he directly gave up the TD, one where he was a Will against a zone read and didn’t see the play and cheated way inside and got burned outside, and a few more generally poor plays in coverage just being in no mans land and giving up conversions because of really poor feel for positioning.

I really don’t even wanna watch another game of his lol, like 2 games feels like plenty with this dude. I don’t see it.

Last edited:

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
He was fairly shit vs Oklahoma, just watched it. On a dominant defensive day He literally had about 4 positive influences on plays, and only one of them was a meaningful impact play on a shallow sack he got on a delayed blitz, the other 3 were just regular short gain stops. This came at the result of what I could recall 6 pretty ugly plays where he’s directly victimized, I recall 2 terribly missed open field tackles where’s he’s meeting ballcarrier at the LOS squared up and whiffed, I recall a qb sweep where he was the clean defender who was supposed to make the stop but he overshot the gap by a mile and gave up a chunk, very similar situation near the goal line and he directly gave up the TD, one where he was a Will against a zone read and didn’t see the play and cheated way inside and got burned outside, and a few more generally poor plays in coverage just being in no mans land and giving up conversions because of really poor feel for positioning.

I really don’t even wanna watch another game of his lol, like 2 games feels like plenty with this dude. I don’t see it.
Sounds like one of those guys getting hype before the combine so his combine can get him even more hype. Hopefully we dont fall for it.

On the other hand I just watched Kenneth Murray vs Baylor and I was pretty impressed. Seems like a early round 2 pick for me tho. Doesn't have much pop but his closing speed is tremendous.

Kinda reminds me of a better version of Peanut with more coverage skills. He does a pretty good job of getting in passing lanes.

Still....I dont think he'll be our first pick unless we trade down. Someone is going to drop come draft day. Wouldn't be surprised if Decosta trades up to get our guy this year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Sounds like one of those guys getting hype before the combine so his combine can get him even more hype. Hopefully we dont fall for it.

On the other hand I just watched Kenneth Murray vs Baylor and I was pretty impressed. Seems like a early round 2 pick for me tho. Doesn't have much pop but his closing speed is tremendous.

Kinda reminds me of a better version of Peanut with more coverage skills. He does a pretty good job of getting in passing lanes.

Still....I dont think he'll be our first pick unless we trade down. Someone is going to drop come draft day. Wouldn't be surprised if Decosta trades up to get our guy this year
lol strange I said the exact same of Murray, I said he looks like the absolute best of peanut consistently.

the lack of pop comes from the pad level, he’s wrapping and dragging, it’s unfortunate for him because if he had low pads and hit to drive through guys he’d probably be a top 20 type prospect, but that shit is concerning for sure. That and his propensity to take too sharp of an angle at times, its confusing because he’s an incredible pursuit LB but then every now and then he’s got a head scratcher of an angle, he’s good for like 1 a game where you’re wondering why his read was trash this one time