• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 ILB Draft Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone here understand the Patrick queen hype? I don’t understand it at all, I just watched a game and I saw absolutely nothing, hesitant, slow to react, didn’t anticipate at all, shedding nonexistent...

It was only one game but I have zero interest in watching any more after that debacle. I’m just not seeing it. Murray, who I’m not even real big on, looks like he’s just in a class of his own if queen is the other guy getting first round hype
after limited watches, I tend to agree. Tough to get a bead on him taking on blocks as he's not touched a lot but he doesn't appear to be particularly adept at hit and shed either. Seems fluid in space/drops but I don't see any sort of first round hype by a good amount.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Watched some more Kenneth Murray notably vs Texas and holy hell does this guy have elite closing speed. That alone might make him worth the 1st round pick. He will eat up flats, screens, and QB roll outs. Dude is a missile out there

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Watched some more Kenneth Murray notably vs Texas and holy hell does this guy have elite closing speed. That alone might make him worth the 1st round pick. He will eat up flats, screens, and QB roll outs. Dude is a missile out there
I agree. His East and west game is ridiculous, I worry about how well he plays north and south though. He doesn’t do much in coverage other than sniff out screens, flats, dumpoffs, and improv blitz, and that might be for a reason.

I do think he’s a late 1, but I think he may have been purposely coached to avoid running vertical or in man with TEs and such, I wouldn’t trust him to make the tackle short of the sticks vs a quality TE.

I’d be fairly hype to get him at 28, I’d prefer others but I’d be cool with it, I’d just take the good with the bad because he’s gonna get dragged fairly often in the nfl but also make a shit ton of plays

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree. His East and west game is ridiculous, I worry about how well he plays north and south though. He doesn’t do much in coverage other than sniff out screens, flats, dumpoffs, and improv blitz, and that might be for a reason.

I do think he’s a late 1, but I think he may have been purposely coached to avoid running vertical or in man with TEs and such, I wouldn’t trust him to make the tackle short of the sticks vs a quality TE.

I’d be fairly hype to get him at 28, I’d prefer others but I’d be cool with it, I’d just take the good with the bad because he’s gonna get dragged fairly often in the nfl but also make a shit ton of plays

I think there’s key areas where he can develop but yeah I think if we’re excited about adding playmakers to this team that’s what we’d be getting from Murray and at the end of the first you’re not likely to get a “perfect” prospect at any position

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think there’s key areas where he can develop but yeah I think if we’re excited about adding playmakers to this team that’s what we’d be getting from Murray and at the end of the first you’re not likely to get a “perfect” prospect at any position
Fair way to think about it and I agree. Like I said I know there’s prospects I’d prefer but if we got Murray there I’d be excited because I know at worst we’re getting a guy who will go a seriously long way at fixing arguably the biggest issue on the team, those big chunk runs and big screens aren’t happening with Kenneth Murray out there instead of the other guys we had, and those stops are gonna come in a flashy and exciting way too.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Fair way to think about it and I agree. Like I said I know there’s prospects I’d prefer but if we got Murray there I’d be excited because I know at worst we’re getting a guy who will go a seriously long way at fixing arguably the biggest issue on the team, those big chunk runs and big screens aren’t happening with Kenneth Murray out there instead of the other guys we had, and those stops are gonna come in a flashy and exciting way too.

he's someone who would definitely add flash and excitement to the defence - probably someone who in season 1 would not grade out well in PFF etc. but will consistently make memorable plays

im very much aligned with you on this - would be excited if we got him - not sure whether he'll be the best guy left on my board when we pick (that remains to be seen) but he would i think be worthy of the 28th pick

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can someone explain to me the lack of hype for Malik Harrison. The kid is a stud and I see nobody talking about him. Here or by the media. What's the projection for him cause I feel like he can be an absolute steal on day 2

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Can someone explain to me the lack of hype for Malik Harrison. The kid is a stud and I see nobody talking about him. Here or by the media. What's the projection for him cause I feel like he can be an absolute steal on day 2
Looks like he lacks some range and length, he’s a very downhill type, maybe the media places too much emphasis on rangy coverage backers. I’m not sure Malik Harrison is the fit for us, but if we had made no moves for an ILB and he’s there for our 3, it’s tempting.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Looks like he lacks some range and length, he’s a very downhill type, maybe the media places too much emphasis on rangy coverage backers. I’m not sure Malik Harrison is the fit for us, but if we had made no moves for an ILB and he’s there for our 3, it’s tempting.
I think his athleticism makes up for his lack of length. Hes not as fast as Murray but hes a more sure tackler and sheds blocks much better and hes pretty disciplined and fundamentally sound. I've seen him get east and west well enough to where I dont think it will be a problem in the NFL. Hes more of a true Mike and I actually think hed fit well. He does a good job at delayed blitzes and drops into his coverage areas well enough, seen him leave his feet a few times to knock down passes by reading the QB. I'd love to have him, we could use a thumper on defense

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think his athleticism makes up for his lack of length. Hes not as fast as Murray but hes a more sure tackler and sheds blocks much better and hes pretty disciplined and fundamentally sound. I've seen him get east and west well enough to where I dont think it will be a problem in the NFL. Hes more of a true Mike and I actually think hed fit well. He does a good job at delayed blitzes and drops into his coverage areas well enough, seen him leave his feet a few times to knock down passes by reading the QB. I'd love to have him, we could use a thumper on defense

had a nice pick in the senior bowl

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
had a nice pick in the senior bowl
I'm starting to think hes gonna be available in the 3rd or 4th and I'd love that. I think hes gonna be a steal and possibly a day 1 starter. He really improved his senior year, especially at shedding blocks and diagnosing run plays. Hed have an immediate impact for us.

1 thing he does really well that we struggle with is sniffing out screen plays. He does a great job at getting around the outside blocker and making a play on the RB incthe backfield. Even if he doesn't make the tackle he completely disrupts the play.

His football IQ is undervalued imo

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm starting to think hes gonna be available in the 3rd or 4th and I'd love that. I think hes gonna be a steal and possibly a day 1 starter. He really improved his senior year, especially at shedding blocks and diagnosing run plays. Hed have an immediate impact for us.

1 thing he does really well that we struggle with is sniffing out screen plays. He does a great job at getting around the outside blocker and making a play on the RB incthe backfield. Even if he doesn't make the tackle he completely disrupts the play.

His football IQ is undervalued imo

i get the vibe that he's clearly a day 2 pick

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let me know how you feel about this guy: I really sort of down played him the first times I watched because he is slight and because of how he was used in college but boy is he a good football player. I can't help get excited about him if he were available in round two. He is a pretty darn good edge rusher for a projected ILB. has great bend and can use his hands...very sound tackler and super smart. great in coverage....certainly a Will but he's pretty rare I think.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Let me know how you feel about this guy: I really sort of down played him the first times I watched because he is slight and because of how he was used in college but boy is he a good football player. I can't help get excited about him if he were available in round two. He is a pretty darn good edge rusher for a projected ILB. has great bend and can use his hands...very sound tackler and super smart. great in coverage....certainly a Will but he's pretty rare I think.

another guy who had a really nice senior bowl

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ok so I’ve finally seen Patrick queens film in the championship, safe to say he saved his good game for the big stage, because he was utter garbage in every game I’ve seen, and he was goddamn Superman against clemson. If he had, say, 3 games like that this season then I’d be hyping him up, but from what I’ve seen he’s been lost and out of place and weak and undersized for essentially all but one game where he was an absolute stud.

weird case. That ONE game though was so excellent that I’d say he moved up from a early 4/late 3 to a late 2/early 3. Because if he can build on that performance, and we have a DL to keep him clean, and he continues being the player he was against Clemson rather than the player he was every other game I’ve seen, then he’s gonna be a pretty special player.

it’s just WAY too much hype based off of only one game.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 i know you've seen the championship film but here's a long thread of how great patrick queen has been all year outside of that game - or at least why i think and a lot of pundits think he's really great (there are a couple of chaisson plays in there too)

https://twitter.com/i/events/1227711526045396992
Bout to check it out now. I hope it changes my mind because the more ILB prospect available the better I’ll feel

edit: shit... I may have been wrong about queen, that was a really impressive thread. I don’t believe I saw a single one of those snaps/games. I saw Clemson, Oklahoma, and auburn, and I thought he was utter trash in the latter 2 but a goddamn superhero against Clemson, I guess I’m gonna need to watch every game I can find of his.

which sucks because I hate studying ILBs

Last edited:

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Bout to check it out now. I hope it changes my mind because the more ILB prospect available the better I’ll feel

edit: shit... I may have been wrong about queen, that was a really impressive thread. I don’t believe I saw a single one of those snaps/games. I saw Clemson, Oklahoma, and auburn, and I thought he was utter trash in the latter 2 but a goddamn superhero against Clemson, I guess I’m gonna need to watch every game I can find of his.

which sucks because I hate studying ILBs
I thought maybe he was flying up draft boards just because the position is so weak this year, but the strength and awareness I saw in those cuts is also making me rethink my eval of him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just watched his Texas game and I’m beginning to come around.

I find it really odd that I watched what looks like probably his 2 absolute worst games to start and he’s looking really goddamn good in every other game I’ve seen so far.

I almost don’t want to come around him like this, because I’m gonna feel stupid making such an extreme 180 lol.

his explosion and range is obvious, but what I’m noticing that sets him apart is his trigger, vision, discipline, and leverage. He’s moving with the ball as it’s snapped, there’s no delay on his diagnose, he fires off the snap laterally the way an edge rusher fires vertically, which is impressive considering the read that goes into your first step as an off ball LB. then the vision, discipline, and leverage, it goes hand in hand, he knows where the ball is behind the blockers and he does a great job of leveraging himself against the blockers to force the ball one way or another, and he stays disciplined in this regard and doesn’t chase the ball and try to make a play but instead will stay leveraged and pounce with quickness once the rb makes their decision, and keeps himself fairly clean in the process.

yeah he’s gonna be interesting. I still hate his hug tackles, comes off really soft at times but then he also has very unsoft moments lol

Last edited: