• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 ILB Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just watched his Texas game and I’m beginning to come around.

I find it really odd that I watched what looks like probably his 2 absolute worst games to start and he’s looking really goddamn good in every other game I’ve seen so far.

I almost don’t want to come around him like this, because I’m gonna feel stupid making such an extreme 180 lol.

his explosion and range is obvious, but what I’m noticing that sets him apart is his trigger, vision, discipline, and leverage. He’s moving with the ball as it’s snapped, there’s no delay on his diagnose, he fires off the snap laterally the way an edge rusher fires vertically, which is impressive considering the read that goes into your first step as an off ball LB. then the vision, discipline, and leverage, it goes hand in hand, he knows where the ball is behind the blockers and he does a great job of leveraging himself against the blockers to force the ball one way or another, and he stays disciplined in this regard and doesn’t chase the ball and try to make a play but instead will stay leveraged and pounce with quickness once the rb makes their decision, and keeps himself fairly clean in the process.

yeah he’s gonna be interesting. I still hate his hug tackles, comes off really soft at times but then he also has very unsoft moments lol

He is most definitely a bad tackler but then again as we’ve discussed before, so is Kenneth Murray

And Patrick queen is more of a Mike linebacker than Kenneth Murray is I think - might be worth looking at sip2tally’s Patrick queen video for some more context that still takes into account the bad stuff on tape too just to be fully rounded

Then again it feels like you’ve already seen the bad stuff lol

But what consistently shows up on tape for me is the way he reads offensive linemen and backfield motion etc - all the stuff that should/could trip you up and he processes it all really well and makes good decisions

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
apparently the Defensive coordinator at Oklahoma was new this year and it's sometimes curious how he decided to use Murray. That said, Murray has a bad habit of over running gaps and I don't see how scheme has as much to do with that. his first matchup with Baylor is quite poor; some having to do with scheme/keys and some not. Some of it is just bad.

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
Kenneth Murray runs fast and makes splash plays, but I don’t understand how he would be our best option at 28 vs trading down or taking best EDGE/WR available

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
apparently the Defensive coordinator at Oklahoma was new this year and it's sometimes curious how he decided to use Murray. That said, Murray has a bad habit of over running gaps and I don't see how scheme has as much to do with that. his first matchup with Baylor is quite poor; some having to do with scheme/keys and some not. Some of it is just bad.

Saw this. Great analysis on the games btw. The biggest thing I'm worried about are those bad angles he takes especially those 2 in the redzone where he completely whiffs and makes terrible attempts at tackling. I worry this is something that will follow him in the NFL. I wouldn't trust him having too many responsibilities on defense. Just let him go out and chase. That probably works better in a true 4-3 as an OLB where he wont have as much gap responsibility and will allow him to play in space. I fear our defensive scheme will be hard for him to adapt to and he'll find himself lost at times

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Saw this. Great analysis on the games btw. The biggest thing I'm worried about are those bad angles he takes especially those 2 in the redzone where he completely whiffs and makes terrible attempts at tackling. I worry this is something that will follow him in the NFL. I wouldn't trust him having too many responsibilities on defense. Just let him go out and chase. That probably works better in a true 4-3 as an OLB where he wont have as much gap responsibility and will allow him to play in space. I fear our defensive scheme will be hard for him to adapt to and he'll find himself lost at times
Thanks for saying so. I appreciate it!
I agree. Those two plays are troubling. And there are other plays not shown that are quite similar.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thanks for saying so. I appreciate it!
I agree. Those two plays are troubling. And there are other plays not shown that are quite similar.

this new video has really helped me form how i feel about murray - earlier in the process i was excited about him at 28 but the further ive got in the more other players have shown me traits that have re-contextualised him vs other prospects

i dont think he's a 1st round talent - he also looks like someone who will be better suited to being a Will than a Mike which could be fine given that we have chuck clark playing in the box at dime so much and in the box and at the LoS even when he's not playing dime but he doesnt look like someone I'd trust to be dominant or consistent in any phase but has the explosive traits to make splash plays if put in position to attack

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
this new video has really helped me form how i feel about murray - earlier in the process i was excited about him at 28 but the further ive got in the more other players have shown me traits that have re-contextualised him vs other prospects

i dont think he's a 1st round talent - he also looks like someone who will be better suited to being a Will than a Mike which could be fine given that we have chuck clark playing in the box at dime so much and in the box and at the LoS even when he's not playing dime but he doesnt look like someone I'd trust to be dominant or consistent in any phase but has the explosive traits to make splash plays if put in position to attack
I am pretty much arrived at the same place. The hope is that with all that athleticism, he makes plays that other guys can't make. But he isn't presently very good at linebacker stuff; the stuff you would list as prime LB characteristics.
He doesn't get off blocks, he doesn't read and he is late or overruns gaps a lot.At some point you have to take on blocks or the back in the hole. He doesn't seem to have the instinct for either.
His athleticism lands him in the top half of round two, I guess but I don't see him as a first round talent.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Akeem Davis-Gaither reminds me of Fred Warner coming out. Both playing more in the slot/outside backer role than as a true ILB, but both showing athleticism, length and intelligence.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Akeem Davis-Gaither reminds me of Fred Warner coming out. Both playing more in the slot/outside backer role than as a true ILB, but both showing athleticism, length and intelligence.
I remember someone on the boards being very high on Warner coming out. Was that you?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
and both projecting really well to the NFL as new-era true LBs - dont love comps in general but that's a pretty good one
Yeah same that one just came after 3 snaps of watching Davis-Gaither. Just thought I had to share it since it came so obvious.

I remember someone on the boards being very high on Warner coming out. Was that you?
Nah, I had no idea Warner was going to be half as good as he is today.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
While watching Queen I noticed he became much more vocal pre-snap than he did to start the year. Seems like he got more comfortable in the system and became a leader of that defense. I feel like hes only gonna get better.

Theres some things on Murrays tape that I'm not sure will improve.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
While watching Queen I noticed he became much more vocal pre-snap than he did to start the year. Seems like he got more comfortable in the system and became a leader of that defense. I feel like hes only gonna get better.

Theres some things on Murrays tape that I'm not sure will improve.

yeah he definitely takes control of the defence and starts pointing things out and moving his teammates around as the season goes on

Queen is also one of the youngest players in the draft class

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah he definitely takes control of the defence and starts pointing things out and moving his teammates around as the season goes on

Queen is also one of the youngest players in the draft class
1 year starter. His best days are ahead of him. However, I feel like hes screaming up draft boards and combine will only add to that

rossihunter2

Staff Member
1 year starter. His best days are ahead of him. However, I feel like hes screaming up draft boards and combine will only add to that

i give matt miller a lot of stick but he was one of the first guys during the college year to start talking about patrick queen - LSU early on thought queen wouldnt even be coming out and supposedly he didnt get a great advisory round grade either but he is clearly LB2 behind only Isaiah Simmons