• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The blocks similar to the one with garret isnt really impressive at all to me.The ones like he did vs eagles and steelers shouldve been kore in vid.
I think its the fact that he makes two key blocks in about 1.5 seconds in real time, and is opening up a hole largely by himself on that play.

It only looks like a 4-5 yard run so its not much, but if he fails on either of those blocks, its probably a loss.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
why? that's the kind of block you hope a tackle makes and he's out there as a TE moving a top level edge guy 3 gaps over on a combo and then making his block in L2
Yea but he hit garret from the side when he faced up with someone else. If garret was lined up in front of him, i doubt he would be able to move garret anywhere. Boyle is a great blocking tight end for sure but the blocks like the one he did on garret doesnt really showcase anything special to me.. i feel like thats what he suppose to do.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yea but he hit garret from the side when he faced up with someone else. If garret was lined up in front of him, i doubt he would be able to move garret anywhere. Boyle is a great blocking tight end for sure but the blocks like the one he did on garret doesnt really showcase anything special to me.. i feel like thats what he suppose to do.

but that is pretty special for a TE and also a pretty common play design - many tackles would struggle to get movement vs garrett on a double-team with a downblock like that - that's why garrett's so good - but nick boyle not only nailed him with the downblock to completely take him out of the play but he got the 2nd level guy too

if it was easy, every team and every player would do it... but it's not

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think its the fact that he makes two key blocks in about 1.5 seconds in real time, and is opening up a hole largely by himself on that play.

It only looks like a 4-5 yard run so its not much, but if he fails on either of those blocks, its probably a loss.

it's perfect execution on both parts and you throw on top the fact he not only created movement on the garrett block but moved him a whole gap over with the force of that initial contact

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's perfect execution on both parts and you throw on top the fact he not only created movement on the garrett block but moved him a whole gap over with the force of that initial contact
NFL teams value Boyle much more than fans do. I remember when we signed him to an extension that paid him like $6M per or whatever. Fans were surprised. NFL teams weren't. I think Schefter posted something that day saying he would have been one of the more highly sought-after players in the market, and that teams would have been clamoring for him league wide.

Fans sometimes get too enamored with pass catchers on offense. This guy is basically an athletic 6th lineman when he's on the field, and he motions and moves the line, and defenders never know where he will line up or who he's assigned to block. And when he blocks, he does it well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
NFL teams value Boyle much more than fans do. I remember when we signed him to an extension that paid him like $6M per or whatever. Fans were surprised. NFL teams weren't. I think Schefter posted something that day saying he would have been one of the more highly sought-after players in the market, and that teams would have been clamoring for him league wide.

Fans sometimes get too enamored with pass catchers on offense. This guy is basically an athletic 6th lineman when he's on the field, and he motions and moves the line, and defenders never know where he will line up or who he's assigned to block. And when he blocks, he does it well.

that's a good way to look at it - he's a 6th OL who does a lot of things that many teams ask their tackles to do and he does them at a high level - but he also offers some ability as a receiver - he's an extra tackle that you can motion to the front side of the play and is athletic enough to run the arc and win downfield and cut off DB's angles to the ball while also powerful enough to displace much heavier defenders at the point of attack

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Yeah Boyle is just built different, a blocking TE doesnt excite anyone, but Boyle is far beyond that, he is almost a 3rd OT that you can move anywhere to create an absolute mismatch on any defender you wish, whether you wanna double an edge, block a LB, or block a DB they bring into the box, he can do it at a level that no TE in the league can.

there are blocking TEs, then there’s nick boyle, who is such a good blocker that he could be a legitimate TE1 for any run heavy offense in the league.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
but that is pretty special for a TE and also a pretty common play design - many tackles would struggle to get movement vs garrett on a double-team with a downblock like that - that's why garrett's so good - but nick boyle not only nailed him with the downblock to completely take him out of the play but he got the 2nd level guy too

if it was easy, every team and every player would do it... but it's not
He took him out the play as what it seemed to be, garret wasnt even expecting the double team.. i think most tight ends, except guys like waller size, couldve possibly did garret the same way on that play cause it really looked like he wasnt prepared. Now that 2nd level is why i love boyle

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Watching some Hollywood highlights and I love the fact he makes Minkah his little b!tch no matter what jersey he’s in

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
please post
Nothing too detailed, but he demolished Minkah when he was on the Dolphins and again on that throw from Trace for the long TD where he put Minkah in a spin cycle

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Nothing too detailed, but he demolished Minkah when he was on the Dolphins and again on that throw from Trace for the long TD where he put Minkah in a spin cycle
yes, I remember those. Think he took care of Minkah on a couple occasions in his first game. He probably destroyed him back in college also.