• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
McSorely is a solid back up. He played well vs Pitt and Cleveland. Made some big time throws to keep our playoff hopes alive vs Cleveland. Still think we win that game vs Pitt if we had started him over RG3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We definitely win that game against Pitt if he had started. Huntley showed a lot of poise in that game at the end and looked like he could be a solid backup for Lamar.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
A little bit of a random thought. Did we have any trick plays last year? I don't think any on offense downs 1-3. We definitely had some fake punts I believe but in general I think other than 4 and short runs we played really textbook last year?

I've always personally been a fan of having 1 or 2 trick plays in your back pocket that you can use in a pinch. I'm not sure we have too many of those.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
We definitely win that game against Pitt if he had started. Huntley showed a lot of poise in that game at the end and looked like he could be a solid backup for Lamar.

If Huntley had connected on that wide open TD against Buffalo, it would have gave us a shot to get the ball back and potentially tie the game late and go to OT.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Holesome but I’m the only ravens fan in my extended family of all Steelers fans- I was able to see them for the first time since Covid and they all wore their Steelers jerseys for my arrival. I’m road tripping from Boston to Seattle currently

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
A little bit of a random thought. Did we have any trick plays last year? I don't think any on offense downs 1-3. We definitely had some fake punts I believe but in general I think other than 4 and short runs we played really textbook last year?

I've always personally been a fan of having 1 or 2 trick plays in your back pocket that you can use in a pinch. I'm not sure we have too many of those.
Always been one thing I’ve been upset about. We run fake punts often but I want to see reverses where Bateman throws a touchdown.
Or even imagine running dobbins on his stretch outside the tackle plays but he plants his feet ala ray rice vs Seahawks and darts it to nick Boyle on the goal line... that’d be fun

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Always been one thing I’ve been upset about. We run fake punts often but I want to see reverses where Bateman throws a touchdown.
Or even imagine running dobbins on his stretch outside the tackle plays but he plants his feet ala ray rice vs Seahawks and darts it to nick Boyle on the goal line... that’d be fun
I think you need to make sure you have the right personnel to make that happen, i.e. a receiver who knows how to throw a pass. We've seen plenty of trick plays that fail spectacularly because the players executing them suck at what they're asked to do.

Quite frankly, a lot of what people considered to be "trick plays" 20 years ago are now staples in many NFL offenses. Like a fake RB handoff with a backside jet sweep handoff is a common play NFL teams run (including the Ravens). Is that considered a trick play?

Like at this point, the only things that really seem to be "trick plays" is having somebody other than the QB throw a pass, or like throwing it to a lineman on the goal line. Other than that, it's all pretty much the norm.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Y’all wanna know who were sleeping on?

Tyler mf huntley

haha - he did well in some opportunities at times last year
would like to see him win the backup job outright this year in preseason and i think he can do it - he looked more explosive and quicker to read than mcsorely in his brief opportunities - mcsorely more accurate but the offence probably more able to stay consistent with huntley (which is kind of what you look for in a backup)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

we had a couple of wildcats but otherwise basically nothing on offence
which with lamar at QB i really don't mind - why take the ball out of your best and quickest player's hands???
im more surprised we never saw anything tricksy in 2019 when we had the heisman package a couple of times

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think you need to make sure you have the right personnel to make that happen, i.e. a receiver who knows how to throw a pass. We've seen plenty of trick plays that fail spectacularly because the players executing them suck at what they're asked to do.

Quite frankly, a lot of what people considered to be "trick plays" 20 years ago are now staples in many NFL offenses. Like a fake RB handoff with a backside jet sweep handoff is a common play NFL teams run (including the Ravens). Is that considered a trick play?

Like at this point, the only things that really seem to be "trick plays" is having somebody other than the QB throw a pass, or like throwing it to a lineman on the goal line. Other than that, it's all pretty much the norm.

100% - you could argue that most of option football is "trick-plays" but we're used to that being a staple of our offence

are we counting wildcat stuff?
what about delayed screens (especially those to the TE inside)?
etc. etc.

i think you hit the nail on the head - seems that the only things that would count as trick plays are non-QB throws, lineman TDs and I'll add double-end-arounds to the list too

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
100% - you could argue that most of option football is "trick-plays" but we're used to that being a staple of our offence

are we counting wildcat stuff?
what about delayed screens (especially those to the TE inside)?
etc. etc.

i think you hit the nail on the head - seems that the only things that would count as trick plays are non-QB throws, lineman TDs and I'll add double-end-arounds to the list too

Don’t forget about the flea flickers… used to kill the hell out of the defense when I was playing backyard football with those…

JAAM

Hall of Famer

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean maybe - but enough teams do them regularly enough that it's not really that much of a trick play tbh

They do? Don’t remember us doing them or any other team doing them to us either other than the Titans. Not just this season but in recent memory. In fact a simple google search states that they are indeed a trick play with one site even saying they’re not common and defenses need to do better against them

Last edited:

Nurps

MVP
They do? Don’t remember us doing them or any other team doing them to us either other than the Titans. Not just this season but in recent memory. In fact a simple google search states that they are indeed a trick play with one site even saying they’re not common and defenses need to do better against them

Kinda like the the fact you've never seen a rookie WR being held back for a day in OTA's?