• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Funny you say that because Jensen was just OK early in his career. It took him years to become the guy he is now. He had hat sleep apnea condition that also caused him some issues. We took Jensen back in 2013 so he finally came into his own. Some of these young guys may also be that kind of player they may just need time
I know, I always saw potential in Jensen because he was such a powerhouse, but oddly enough he was a better pass blocker than run blocker once he found his footwork.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think that Darnold, Mayfield and Allen have shown that they will be starters in this league probably for a long time. I personally believe that Mayfield will be Cleveland's best quarterback maybe ever, however he looks small and willing to make risky decisions. If he improves a lot which is likely and his decision making gets much better, he may become a Drew Brees style quarterback, just probably over all not as successful. All in all, I was happy to see Cleveland get a win.

Icy

Practice Squad
I just saw a video of Cris Carter saying good pass rushers aren’t developed but born. It made a lot of sense and kind of applies to every position. It made me think it puts so much stress on having a good scouting dept. Maybe our WR scouts aren’t good. maybe they’re looking for players to develop instead of looking for good football players.

except maybe offensive lineman

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I just saw a video of Cris Carter saying good pass rushers aren’t developed but born. It made a lot of sense and kind of applies to every position. It made me think it puts so much stress on having a good scouting dept. Maybe our WR scouts aren’t good. maybe they’re looking for players to develop instead of looking for good football players.

AMEN!! You hit this on the head. Thats exactly whats going on here. its like we pick the projects early on and during the later rounds we pick those players that have “ it”.. even though kenny young could still be a dissapointment, he has a lot of intangibles already that cannot be taught. Some said he has problems with the run and even though i didnt see it, getting better at run stopping is very possible. Those the players i think we should
Go after more. Not wrs who cant catch

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

It’s true in a way. You can develop hand skills, film study and learn to pick up tendencies etc, but the balance needed to consistently bend the edge can’t be learned, the guys I point out on this theory are Derek Barnett and Demarcus Ware, 2 best edge Benders I think I’ve ever seen. The shoulder dip is such a lethal move for guys who can lean really sharp to bend the corner and it’s something that all the best edge rushers have. It’s the difference between a Charles harris who is as explosive as they come but has done jack shit, and a Derek Barnett who is slow as molasses but productive so far

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think that Darnold, Mayfield and Allen have shown that they will be starters in this league probably for a long time. I personally believe that Mayfield will be Cleveland's best quarterback maybe ever, however he looks small and willing to make risky decisions. If he improves a lot which is likely and his decision making gets much better, he may become a Drew Brees style quarterback, just probably over all not as successful. All in all, I was happy to see Cleveland get a win.

not sure im sold on allen but im all in on rosen and he hasnt even played an nfl regular season snap yet

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s true in a way. You can develop hand skills, film study and learn to pick up tendencies etc, but the balance needed to consistently bend the edge can’t be learned, the guys I point out on this theory are Derek Barnett and Demarcus Ware, 2 best edge Benders I think I’ve ever seen. The shoulder dip is such a lethal move for guys who can lean really sharp to bend the corner and it’s something that all the best edge rushers have. It’s the difference between a Charles harris who is as explosive as they come but has done jack shit, and a Derek Barnett who is slow as molasses but productive so far

i think we're gonna see this with harold landry too - his dip move is so effective already - i was never really sold on his tape from 2017 but ill admit that i dinged him a little too much and he's proving so far that he's an absolute steal

i think we're gonna see this with harold landry too - his dip move is so effective already - i was never really sold on his tape from 2017 but ill admit that i dinged him a little too much and he's proving so far that he's an absolute steal
I was really high on him even said he was a better pass rusher than Chubb. You had to go back to his 2016 tape when he was healthy. I saw a completely different player.

WR has the lowest success rate of any position, lower even than QB. Thats why our best receivers have been imports, Mase, Boldin, Steve Smith etc. Our best homegrown WR was Torrey and he was never a #1.

Best dip and bend I can remember in recent memory was Jason Babin and it took him 8 seasons to put it all together. In his breakout season he could bend in almost a right angle.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah Honor Landry(this is how I will forever refer to him, thanks Vince Young) had a really special bend, his final season had a whole shitton of getting washed out of plays and I admit I dropped him really low too. The year prior, when he was initially gonna declare before backing out, I had a first round grade on him, the man had burst and bend for days, sort of like a Bruce Irvin type, he could speed rush but I wasn’t sold on anything else.
Best dip and bend I can remember in recent memory was Jason Babin and it took him 8 seasons to put it all together. In his breakout season he could bend in almost a right angle.
thats a player I’m not super familiar with, I just know that I studied a shit ton of Barnett’s college tape, and watching Demarcus Ware is what made me fully grasp the concept of bending the edge, I had an iffy understanding of it until I saw a sack of his where he had his shoulder in an OTs hip seemingly to prop himself up at a goddamn 30 degree angle from the ground, and he just rotated the tackle without him getting a hand on him, and then lunged to the qb in a sprinters stance once he beat the tackle.it was beautiful.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Thats what yall look for when scouting a pass rusher? i be cluless as hell when watching pass rushers outta college.

Icy

Practice Squad
WR has the lowest success rate of any position, lower even than QB. Thats why our best receivers have been imports, Mase, Boldin, Steve Smith etc. Our best homegrown WR was Torrey and he was never a #1.
i didn’t know that. it just sucks when we’ve drafted good or great players t every position except wr. not even 1 maybe torrey but meh

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
i didn’t know that. it just sucks when we’ve drafted good or great players t every position except wr. not even 1 maybe torrey but meh
Yeah Torrey definitely isn’t great lol. Barely good, considering how he fell of the face of the earth after leaving the Ravens.