• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Thats a player I’m not super familiar with, I just know that I studied a shit ton of Barnett’s college tape, and watching Demarcus Ware is what made me fully grasp the concept of bending the edge, I had an iffy understanding of it until I saw a sack of his where he had his shoulder in an OTs hip seemingly to prop himself up at a goddamn 30 degree angle from the ground, and he
just rotated the tackle without him getting a hand on him, and then lunged to the qb in a sprinters stance once he beat the tackle.it was beautiful.

Barnett has a great bend he just needs a spin move imo, the funny thing is Solomon Thomas is a far superior athlete and cant do what Barnett does.

Like him or not, James Harrison had that down to a tee.

He could generate insane leverage too because of his height and strength, Doom was similar but nowhere near as strong.

Thats what yall look for when scouting a pass rusher? i be cluless as hell when watching pass rushers outta college.

If theyre flexible and explosive then thats a good base to work with, guys like Judon, Williams, Bowser have plus movement traits and can redirect and can develop moves and counters over time. We rarely pick early so we never have access to Millers and Macks.

we rarely pick early enough to select from the best pass rushers so we have to develop them.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Thats what yall look for when scouting a pass rusher? i be cluless as hell when watching pass rushers outta college.
I was clueless too until I learned how key that was. I’d say it’s the most important part of being a quality pass rusher, hard to block a guy when you’re 6’4+ and your mans pad level forces you to hold your arms down by your waist to reach him. Most successful rushes that come around the edge in the nfl aren’t just fast guys running past the OT, it takes a lot of flexibility, leverage, and balance.

And I always have and always will tell anyone to watch Derek Barnett’s college tape, he puts on a clinic on how to bend the edge every time, and he does it without speed. He consistently gets in close to the OT, gains his leverage, bench presses the OT and then dips down under the outside shoulder, he’s able to get inside the pocket a lot shallower than any speed rusher, speed rushers often need to extend their rush past the qb and work their way back up in the pocket, but if you can bend and flatten the edge like Derek Barnett you can cut that distance down considerably and break into the pocket without giving the qb room to step up.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Is there a pre draft pound the table thread for 2018? I swear we had one but I can’t find it, only one from previous years

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
@DeVito52 Season is over.
We started slow

Week one was a fluke

Both units looked fantastic overall. That Emmanuel Sanders play was just a phenomenally good play by Sanders and the first TD.... well I am not mad at the defense for that. They were inside the ten.

Brandon Carr is a liability too but when Jimmy comes back, if he is 80% of the player we have last year and Henry and Pierce come back. Holy fuck this defense is going to be dominant.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
You know for some reason I'm wondering why some players we put on a 1st name basis. I mean we have Joe and Jimmy as of now but we used to have Ray, Ed and Tyrod in the past but I noticed I couldn't stop calling Kenny Young Kenny. Get him Kenny. Kenny got him. I hope that's a good sign.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
You know for some reason I'm wondering why some players we put on a 1st name basis. I mean we have Joe and Jimmy as of now but we used to have Ray, Ed and Tyrod in the past but I noticed I couldn't stop calling Kenny Young Kenny. Get him Kenny. Kenny got him. I hope that's a good sign.
Lol I feel like I call most players by their first name. It really just depends on their name. If their first name is too common I call them their last name, if their last name is too common i call them the last name. Judon instead of Matt, Tavon instead of Young, Kenny, CJ goes both ways for me, etc. Whatever is easier for everyone to know who I’m talking about

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or thought about it recently, but with yesterday's game, Suggs is tied for 15th all-time in sacks with 128. If he continues to play like he did yesterday, I would not be surprised if he finished the season with at least 135, which puts him at 11th all-time. If he can hit 142 before he retires, he will have the 6th most in NFL history. I hope he stays next year because I would love for him to achieve that as a raven.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or thought about it recently, but with yesterday's game, Suggs is tied for 15th all-time in sacks with 128. If he continues to play like he did yesterday, I would not be surprised if he finished the season with at least 135, which puts him at 11th all-time. If he can hit 142 before he retires, he will have the 6th most in NFL history. I hope he stays next year because I would love for him to achieve that as a raven.

That's assuming you are still allowed to sack a QB next year; at this point glaring at a QB too hard will draw a flag for roughing the passer by next year.

Tank

Hall of Famer
The way he looked against Cinci I'll be happy if he makes it to the bye. lol

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Remember.
Crabtree=new Maclin
John Brown = new Wallace
Willie Snead= new Campanaro

Not much of an upgrade across the board(even with Crabtree's occasional drops he's ten times the receiver Maclin was)
Our seasons over. Cut that bum ass Flacco already he sucks

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Who knows whether it's a good sign - how did you call Breshad, Matt (Elam) and Art (Brown)?