• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Haywood Jablomi? Lmfao

My money was on Hugh Jass to get the spot…. He has some very huge muscles in the bottom half of the body that I thought would help him with his power.. turns out WTF loves to Blewitt the most though

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is where it kinda blows having a loaded roster in your division with an average qb. I feel like the drop off is gonna be so small that Keemun might actually fuck around and have the best game by browns qb this season

Here you go again!! Hahahaha it's soo good to read it because it gets me every time

Can I get an update on Villanueva from one of you smart people? I assume he hasn't turned into an all-pro but he's also not being talked about as single handedly tanking our season anymore so something must have improved?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If you quickly scan Leveon Bells Twitter over the last few years, you'll see that dude has been frustrated and largely unhappy for just years now. Complaining about the Jets, about the Chiefs about the Steelers. Literally fighting with fans. Huge mind games with himself battling the notion he's washed up. Then I saw this. Seems like for the first time in a while, the guy is actually just kinda happy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">literally, just having fun … life is what you make it &amp; it’s been a blessing here to say the least …<br> <a href="https://t.co/NTW9R24D35">pic.twitter.com/NTW9R24D35</a></p>&mdash; Le&#39;Veon Bell (@LeVeonBell) <a href="">October 21, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you quickly scan Leveon Bells Twitter over the last few years, you'll see that dude has been frustrated and largely unhappy for just years now. Complaining about the Jets, about the Chiefs about the Steelers. Literally fighting with fans. Huge mind games with himself battling the notion he's washed up. Then I saw this. Seems like for the first time in a while, the guy is actually just kinda happy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">literally, just having fun … life is what you make it &amp; it’s been a blessing here to say the least …<br> <a href="https://t.co/NTW9R24D35">pic.twitter.com/NTW9R24D35</a></p>&mdash; Le&#39;Veon Bell (@LeVeonBell) <a href="">October 21, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

More proof that the Ravens organisation is all class.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can I get an update on Villanueva from one of you smart people? I assume he hasn't turned into an all-pro but he's also not being talked about as single handedly tanking our season anymore so something must have improved?

He's playing his old position again. Sometimes the saying is true. Old dogs can't learn new tricks.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I'll defer to FilmStudy for individual grades, but I'd say he's been pretty average the last 2 weeks. He was dreadful against Vegas (at RT) and then was pretty bad against Detroit. The other games I would say he was average as a LT, which is probably what we should expect. Last two weeks he's been fine.

It's pretty clear from looking at film and reading evaluations that the right side, namely Zeitler and Mekari, is the strength. Mekari has actually been pretty solid at RT, especially the last two weeks.

The head scratcher for me is Bozeman. He's not been good the last couple weeks. He was pretty good the first 3-4 games, so maybe it's just a short-term thing. But he'll need to play better going forward in order to earn an extension from us and to not have us explore other options at Center next year.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I'll defer to FilmStudy for individual grades, but I'd say he's been pretty average the last 2 weeks. He was dreadful against Vegas (at RT) and then was pretty bad against Detroit. The other games I would say he was average as a LT, which is probably what we should expect. Last two weeks he's been fine.

It's pretty clear from looking at film and reading evaluations that the right side, namely Zeitler and Mekari, is the strength. Mekari has actually been pretty solid at RT, especially the last two weeks.

The head scratcher for me is Bozeman. He's not been good the last couple weeks. He was pretty good the first 3-4 games, so maybe it's just a short-term thing. But he'll need to play better going forward in order to earn an extension from us and to not have us explore other options at Center next year.
Pretty accurate assessment I'd say. I know Bozeman played center in college but maybe he is better at playing guard in the NFL.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why not give Colon a chance at C, and move Bozeman back to LG? Is Colon really that bad at C? I just think that would completely solidify the line except for depth

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

he had one of his better games against the Chargers and his best game was against KC. Agree he was dreadful against Detroit and the Raiders, but it was his first game at RT.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Why not give Colon a chance at C, and move Bozeman back to LG? Is Colon really that bad at C? I just think that would completely solidify the line except for depth
Bozeman is a more natural center and has been playing very well this year. Powers hasn't been too bad either. He's an above average pass blocker and an average run blocker and outside of his best game being in Detroit, he has been improving for most of the season.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bozeman is a more natural center and has been playing very well this year. Powers hasn't been too bad either. He's an above average pass blocker and an average run blocker and outside of his best game being in Detroit, he has been improving for most of the season.

True

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty accurate assessment I'd say. I know Bozeman played center in college but maybe he is better at playing guard in the NFL.
Would probably need to see some more games (or at least one more) before I made that change, and I'm not sure he's really been "bad enough" to warrant getting benched.
Plus, with Phillips working back towards 100%, I would expect to see him regain the starting LG job at some point in the near future. Probably after the bye week.
For me, I don't think the unit as a whole has been bad enough to warrant a shakeup. Best thing I think they can do is commit to 5 starters and let them play together long enough to get in sync. I think spending time tinkering with the line and making week-to-week changes to see what sticks only hurts the product, not helps it.

I think after the bye week you'll see Villaneuva/Phillips/Bozeman/Zeitler/Mekari as the five starters, and they'll roll with that until an injury happens or somebody falls flat on their face for many weeks in a row.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I'm a bigger Bozeman fan than most. That being said... I don't think very well is accurate.
I gave up my PFF membership, and maybe somebody else can provide here, but as far as I can tell, they've got Bozeman graded as a well below average Center. I believe he's like 25th in the league in their rankings.
If I read FilmStudy's reviews, he's given Bozeman poor grades for 3 straight weeks.
I'll copy his notes here:
Chargers:
Bozeman: Bradley had his 3rd consecutive difficult game. He allowed a full sack when beaten left by DT Joseph (Q2, 9:09). He otherwise had only 1 other shared pressure in an abbreviated game. All his 5 missed blocks were losses at the LoS. He was not assigned to pull and made 2 blocks in level 2, but did not have a pancake. His highlight was a combination block on DT Joseph then LB Nick Niemann in level 2 (Q2, 2:44).

Scoring: 43 plays, 36 blocks, 5 missed, 1/2 pressure, 1 sack, 29 points (.67 per play). That’s a high F after adjustment
Colts:
Bozeman: Bradley again struggled, particularly with his pulls. He allowed shares of 2 sacks (beaten right by DT Buckner after Zeitler dropped off, Q1, 14:15; bulled then shed by DE Tyquan Lewis on pull, Q3, 11:56). He was party to 3 other pressure events and allowed a full penetration when he whiffed on DE Kemoko Turay on a pull (Q2, 10:09). He also missed 6 blocks, 5 of which were losses at the LoS. He had 1 block in level 2 and delivered 1 pancake. On 5 total pulls, he netted -4.5 points. He had no highlight.

Scoring: 70 plays, 58 blocks, 6 missed, 1 penetration, 1.5 pressures, ½ QH, 1.17 (1/2 + 2/3) sacks, 44.5 points (.64 per play). That’s an F even after adjustment.
Broncos:
Bozeman: Bradley took a step back. He was party to 3 pressure events, including 2 full charges (beaten right by DT Harris, Q3, 13:39; bulled by NT Purcell, Q4, 2:12). He also missed 9 blocks, 7 of which came on run plays and 6 of which were losses at LoS. This was a game where he was on the ground a lot, including 3 plays where he slipped, tripped, or was shed as he was entering level 2. He had 2 blocks in level 2 but did not have a solo pancake or highlight. He was not assigned to pull.

Scoring: 70 plays, 58 blocks, 9 missed, 2.33 pressures, 53.33 points (.76 per play). That’s a D with adjustment.

Relatively short sample size, and acknowledging that both Indy and Denver have quality fronts that can make a lot of interior lineman look bad. And acknowledging that he got very high grades against both KC and Detroit. But he's been very subpar for the last three weeks according to the people that I trust the most when it comes to analyzing Olineman.

I've oftentimes debated the merits of going to PFF for these ratings instead of Ken, because Ken puts more emphasis on pass protection and most would say PFF overvalues run blocking, but I tend to agree that most of your higher leverage, more critical downs are in pass protection, and quite frankly, if you can't pass block on the Oline, you're probably not going to be starting very long, regardless of how great a run blocker you are.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I'm a bigger Bozeman fan than most. That being said... I don't think very well is accurate.
I gave up my PFF membership, and maybe somebody else can provide here, but as far as I can tell, they've got Bozeman graded as a well below average Center. I believe he's like 25th in the league in their rankings.
If I read FilmStudy's reviews, he's given Bozeman poor grades for 3 straight weeks.
I'll copy his notes here:
Chargers:
Bozeman: Bradley had his 3rd consecutive difficult game. He allowed a full sack when beaten left by DT Joseph (Q2, 9:09). He otherwise had only 1 other shared pressure in an abbreviated game. All his 5 missed blocks were losses at the LoS. He was not assigned to pull and made 2 blocks in level 2, but did not have a pancake. His highlight was a combination block on DT Joseph then LB Nick Niemann in level 2 (Q2, 2:44).

Scoring: 43 plays, 36 blocks, 5 missed, 1/2 pressure, 1 sack, 29 points (.67 per play). That’s a high F after adjustment
Colts:
Bozeman: Bradley again struggled, particularly with his pulls. He allowed shares of 2 sacks (beaten right by DT Buckner after Zeitler dropped off, Q1, 14:15; bulled then shed by DE Tyquan Lewis on pull, Q3, 11:56). He was party to 3 other pressure events and allowed a full penetration when he whiffed on DE Kemoko Turay on a pull (Q2, 10:09). He also missed 6 blocks, 5 of which were losses at the LoS. He had 1 block in level 2 and delivered 1 pancake. On 5 total pulls, he netted -4.5 points. He had no highlight.

Scoring: 70 plays, 58 blocks, 6 missed, 1 penetration, 1.5 pressures, ½ QH, 1.17 (1/2 + 2/3) sacks, 44.5 points (.64 per play). That’s an F even after adjustment.
Broncos:
Bozeman: Bradley took a step back. He was party to 3 pressure events, including 2 full charges (beaten right by DT Harris, Q3, 13:39; bulled by NT Purcell, Q4, 2:12). He also missed 9 blocks, 7 of which came on run plays and 6 of which were losses at LoS. This was a game where he was on the ground a lot, including 3 plays where he slipped, tripped, or was shed as he was entering level 2. He had 2 blocks in level 2 but did not have a solo pancake or highlight. He was not assigned to pull.

Scoring: 70 plays, 58 blocks, 9 missed, 2.33 pressures, 53.33 points (.76 per play). That’s a D with adjustment.

Relatively short sample size, and acknowledging that both Indy and Denver have quality fronts that can make a lot of interior lineman look bad. And acknowledging that he got very high grades against both KC and Detroit. But he's been very subpar for the last three weeks according to the people that I trust the most when it comes to analyzing Olineman.

I've oftentimes debated the merits of going to PFF for these ratings instead of Ken, because Ken puts more emphasis on pass protection and most would say PFF overvalues run blocking, but I tend to agree that most of your higher leverage, more critical downs are in pass protection, and quite frankly, if you can't pass block on the Oline, you're probably not going to be starting very long, regardless of how great a run blocker you are.

Isn't Bozeman a little banged up?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

bozeman was great against the chargers - he had a poor game against the colts and wasn’t great against the broncos either but otherwise has been fine and he was dominant at times against the chargers before his injury

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sooo.... I had a notification pop up on my phone saying "Ravens sign Joe Thomas", and I immediately start thinking it's hall of fame LT Joe Thomas... thought he was making an epic comeback on the cheap. Alas, it's LB no name Joe Thomas... gah

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sooo.... I had a notification pop up on my phone saying "Ravens sign Joe Thomas", and I immediately start thinking it's hall of fame LT Joe Thomas... thought he was making an epic comeback on the cheap. Alas, it's LB no name Joe Thomas... gah

Imagine how salty Browns fans would be if that actually happened lmao