• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know I do this a lot but I wanna keep shouting out Brandon Stephens. Like how is he doing what he's doing?

The guy has only been playing defense for 2 years and that was at CB. Trained at SMU, not really a football powerhouse and then comes in and is starting in Winks defense at S, a position he's literally never played.

I'm not saying he's amazing, he certainly has made his fair share of mistakes, but we've seen much worse S play on this team by real safeties.

I think to be playing this well as a rookie in a new position and relatively new to this side of the ball, he's got a really bright future.

it was very telling when he was already entering as the 3rd safety in preseason and as dimebacker - at the time i assumed jimmy smith would take some of that role back when he returned but he didnt

EDC clearly loved him in that post-day 2 draft presser... coaches hadn't even got to say they'd try him at corner first before he was talking about him as a future free safety

there are some flashes every week where you see his explosive qualities and instincts and think he can be very very good - although we learned this week that he's been infected by marlon's apparently contagious case of feet for hands

Simba

Staff Member
at least it sounds like only 1 today
but obviously we saw how quickly 1 can become an outbreak last year

Yeah hopefully this is all

Definitely a hit to the depth though. Redmond on our PS is the only other health guy with C experience I believe.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah hopefully this is all

Definitely a hit to the depth though. Redmond on our PS is the only other health guy with C experience I believe.

yeah - for a brief, blissful moment i forgot that mekari's 1) unavailable due to injury and 2) unavailable because he's our starting RT lol

and bredeson our 4th C we obviously traded away

so yeah probably Redmond's getting elevated this week

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
it was very telling when he was already entering as the 3rd safety in preseason and as dimebacker - at the time i assumed jimmy smith would take some of that role back when he returned but he didnt

EDC clearly loved him in that post-day 2 draft presser... coaches hadn't even got to say they'd try him at corner first before he was talking about him as a future free safety

there are some flashes every week where you see his explosive qualities and instincts and think he can be very very good - although we learned this week that he's been infected by marlon's apparently contagious case of feet for hands

Hahaha idk why we have dropped so many ints this year. I feel like Clark has at least 2 bad drops as well

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
how they like statistics ...
filmstudy vs Steelers:

Zeitler: Kevin fell out of the A/B range for the first time since week 3 in Detroit. He was responsible for ¼ sack (Q1, 1:56). He was party to 3 pressures (Q1, 11:17, beaten inside by NT Adams, ½ charge; Q3, 11:18, bulled by DT Chris Wormley; Q4, 1:12, bulled by Wormley). He also surrendered 1.5 penetrations. He missed 3 blocks, all of which were losses at the LoS. He made 2 blocks in level 2 block but did not have a pancake or highlight. He had 2 points on 4 pulls.

Scoring: 69 plays, 60 blocks, 3 missed, 1.5 penetrations, 2.5 pressures, 1/4 sack, 50.5 points (.73 per play). That’s a C- after adjustment.

who lies? or do they only have criteria difference with nfl on cbs?
Is it a reason to be the know-it-all over another user with an opinion?
That is the problem of the Internet, instead of debating the why, they look for someone who gives them the reason for their opinion to feel superior

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
filmstudy vs Steelers:

Zeitler: Kevin fell out of the A/B range for the first time since week 3 in Detroit. He was responsible for ¼ sack (Q1, 1:56). He was party to 3 pressures (Q1, 11:17, beaten inside by NT Adams, ½ charge; Q3, 11:18, bulled by DT Chris Wormley; Q4, 1:12, bulled by Wormley). He also surrendered 1.5 penetrations. He missed 3 blocks, all of which were losses at the LoS. He made 2 blocks in level 2 block but did not have a pancake or highlight. He had 2 points on 4 pulls.

Scoring: 69 plays, 60 blocks, 3 missed, 1.5 penetrations, 2.5 pressures, 1/4 sack, 50.5 points (.73 per play). That’s a C- after adjustment.

That is the problem of the Internet, instead of debating the why, they look for someone who gives them the reason for their opinion to feel superior

i mean there's just differences in how they measure stuff

CBS were specific in that they said no sacks and no hits - they didn't say anything about pressures

and worth pointing out that Ken is one of the very few people who portions out the blame for sacks - most stats places assign the whole sack to one player and don't share the blame around - so it's likely the 1/4 sack assigned to zeitler by Ken was assigned in whole to someone else by most other stat counters - and even then Ken in that excerpt talked about that being Zeitler's first C or below game since week 3...

idk that either of those statements are particularly in conflict with each other - both in their own way have talked about how good Zeitler's been all year - CBS with less context and Ken with more context and different measurements...

for example PFF think he was really good against the Browns and fairly average against the Steelers too (but still good enough to be a top 5 graded player although that says more about the performances of the rest of the team in that game generally than it does about Zeitler)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i mean there's just differences in how they measure stuff

CBS were specific in that they said no sacks and no hits - they didn't say anything about pressures

and worth pointing out that Ken is one of the very few people who portions out the blame for sacks - most stats places assign the whole sack to one player and don't share the blame around - so it's likely the 1/4 sack assigned to zeitler by Ken was assigned in whole to someone else by most other stat counters - and even then Ken in that excerpt talked about that being Zeitler's first C or below game since week 3...

idk that either of those statements are particularly in conflict with each other - both in their own way have talked about how good Zeitler's been all year - CBS with less context and Ken with more context and different measurements...

for example PFF think he was really good against the Browns and fairly average against the Steelers too (but still good enough to be a top 5 graded player although that says more about the performances of the rest of the team in that game generally than it does about Zeitler)
He said it was his first game below A / B since the Detroit game in week 3 to be specific.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I said it, and I stand by it.
The statistics are a number but they have a context, being Villanueva, Phillips, Powers, why are they going to attack the Zeitler side?
football is a team game, the line is a team game, the worst line, the one with the most catches.
yanda allowed captures but to run there was always a highway, even with ducasse.
You can defend what you want, I will defend mine, but do not try to underestimate my opinion for a few numbers, we may not agree, and we can discuss it, but you are just like me, a user in a forum
First of all, the sources of opinions have no relevance to the actual validity of said opinions. None. They're exist without us. We don't paten them, they don't go with us to the afterlife. Just because the critique came from someone on the same platform, doesn't suddenly disprove the notion any less. An infant child's literal first words could've been, "Cutting our best pass blocking lineman isn't the best idea," and the point would've stood just the same.

Second, not only has no defense ever entirely avoided a specific offensive lineman (A notion so absurd, I'm honestly not even sure where to start). But with the amount of blitzes we've seen in that past 5 weeks, Lamar Jackson is the 2nd highest pressured quarterback per snap among those with at least half of the offensive snaps since Miami. In that game span, Zeitler has given up less than a handful of disruptions. So unless they're sending overloads but somehow none of the defenders are between the 1T and 4T to that side, Zeitler isn't consistently left without an assignment. And he's still excelling in that department.

Third, we're not remotely close to the worst pass blocking offensive line in football. We're arguably in middle of the pack. 16th in disruptions allowed per snap as a unit, 145 combined sacks, QB hits and pressures on the year. Miami's 2 offensive tackles alone have given up 102 combined. And with respect to Yanda, him and Vladimir Ducasse never played on the same side of the offensive line. Ducasse was at RG with Yanda playing at LG with them both on the field. Yanda spent 11 of 13 games between Ronnie Stanley and Jeremy Zuttah. Also, yes, Yanda was considerably a better run blocker than Zeitler currently is. Which is why he's likely headed into the Hall of Fame. Zeitler could certainly be better in that facet. But if we're going to compare every guard that comes through to maybe the best player of his generation, we're likely always going to be disappointed.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
So I'm watching GMFB and they were showing a couple of Vikings highlights from their win against PIT. Had me thinking. The next time we play the Vikings will be in 2025 in Minnesota. Just for the shits, giggles, and total chaos, both teams should wear their color rush jerseys.

Lulz.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
filmstudy vs Steelers:

I mean, I'm a little confused by your statement here. What exactly is the issue? That somebody who does offensive line grading has a different opinion than literally anybody who posts on the internet?

Generally speaking, the reason I read stuff like this is because a) there aren't that many people who actually re-watch games and focus solely on offensive lineman, and b) a lot of people who watch games, like you, me, and others, don't really know what we're looking at in terms of Olineman. Like we don't know what the assignments, what they're supposed to do on an individual play, etc. So I don't think we really have the credentials to be grading them.

As others have said, if you read Ken's stuff vs PFF or any other "grading" sites, there are differences in how they grade certain things. It's inherently subjective to a certain degree. PFF values run blocking about the same as pass blocking, i.e. they don't weight the differences between the two. So an Olineman who's great as a run blocker but terrible as a pass blocker would likely be considered average by PFF, yet most NFL teams would not start or employ said player, because pass protection is viewed as critically more important than run blocking is.

As Ken has referenced before, he tends to skew his grading more towards pass protection, mostly because pretty much all of your critical situation downs and high leverage plays in a football game are passing downs.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was offered free military promo tickets to the Dolphins/Jets game. Naturally i jumped on a free NFL game , but then I was thinking “ shit watching the Jets and dolphins is kinda like a punishment”. Then i noticed we get to meet some players. I’m thinking that could be cool, but the players are Jason Sanders, Will Parks, and Albert Wilson [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAAM

Hall of Famer