• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Another guy I told y’all about

The Sammy Watkins hate makes actually zero sense.

1) He isn't making a lot of money
2) He has made "game winning plays" in 2 of our 8 wins. That's 25% of our wins. That's pretty huge.
3) He's been basically what you'd expect and have wanted out of him given his contract.

Now you guys are gonna say but his snaps take away from Bateman. Sure to some extent, but look no further than to what Bateman has done in Watkins absence. 2 really good games and 2 awful games.

Bateman is not being held back by Watkins. The offense has just been subpar for a little while corresponding to Lamars drop in play quality.

Sammy Watkins is exactly what you want as a one year veteran rental making minimal money.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

2) He has made "game winning plays" in 2 of our 8 wins. That's 25% of our wins. That's pretty huge.
3) He's been basically what you'd expect and have wanted out of him given his contract.

Now you guys are gonna say but his snaps take away from Bateman. Sure to some extent, but look no further than to what Bateman has done in Watkins absence. 2 really good games and 2 awful games.

Bateman is not being held back by Watkins. The offense has just been subpar for a little while corresponding to Lamars drop in play quality.

Sammy Watkins is exactly what you want as a one year veteran rental making minimal money.

2 “awful” games… hahaha… how would you know given he’s never thrown the ball, and when he does get thrown to, he has these good games you talk about

Simba

Staff Member

If I’m complaining about individual players, Sammy Watkins is actually pretty far down the list on guys I’d have a problem with. He hasn’t been great but he’s been far from a detriment overall.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Another guy I told y’all about
I’m on record stating my dislike for that signing lol, even before he joined I hated the rumors and was wishing they weren’t true

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone care to tell me how Julio Jones is faring these days? Believe there was a group of y’all who desperately wanted him, yet I was strictly against it…
he hasn't done well at all this year. Just a few good games, but he's been injured a lot. He's had one game over 100 yards in the 8 games he's played and has 360+ yards on the season. He hasn't scored a TD in over 440 days.

I wasn't on board with Julio Jones and definitely don't believe he was worth the trade.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
2 “awful” games… hahaha… how would you know given he’s never thrown the ball, and when he does get thrown to, he has these good games you talk about

We are saying the same thing. Those games where he had 0 or 1 catch are awful by WR standards. But I don't really think the lack of targets in those games can be attributed to him playing poorly.

It's as I said, the offense as a whole had been sputtering and sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't. Bateman isn't so overly dominant that he can individually make up for the ineffectiveness of the entire offense. It would be crazy to expect him to be able to do that or almost anyone for that matter.

This all leads to back to the point that Watkins isn't stealing anything from the Bateman. When the offense is effective, Watkins and Bateman are effective. When the offense is ineffective neither are effective.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Geno Stone is a quality rotation player. Really wasn't expecting that given he couldn't make the team last year, but I think he's been quite OK given the circumstances. We'll add to the room next year, but between Chuck and Stephens and Stone and whoever else we add we should have at least an average group with depth.

im almost 100% confident that last year he didnt make the team because he wasnt a factor on special teams
this year he made himself a key member of that unit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 did you like what you saw from Ben Cleveland yesterday?

coach's film isnt available yet so hard to say for sure (especially vs the run)

but i dont see why ben powers should get that spot back - ben cleveland is already a better pass blocker than ben powers and at first glance some of latavius murray's better runs inside came through gaps created by ben cleveland

need the film but the broadcast footage is really promising

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

but i dont see why ben powers should get that spot back - ben cleveland is already a better pass blocker than ben powers and at first glance some of latavius murray's better runs inside came through gaps created by ben cleveland

Good to hear that from you man

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

It's almost like someone here immediately saw the vision with him. Hmmmmm......it's like that individual kinda spoke it into existence or some shit.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
lol......glad they lost.

It was horribly boring haha. Thank god they were free tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simba

Staff Member
The NFL “analysts” out there are really irking me with this idea that the NFL scouts missed on Huntley now. Nothing has changed from the evals coming out of college. They also crucify other QBs for throwing 5 yard passes all game but for some reason they didn’t see it at all with Huntley.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
The NFL “analysts” out there are really irking me with this idea that the NFL scouts missed on Huntley now. Nothing has changed from the evals coming out of college. They also crucify other QBs for throwing 5 yard passes all game but for some reason they didn’t see it at all with Huntley.

Yeah, because God forbid that our backup QB, or any player on this team rather, gets talked up a little... Jesus

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah, because God forbid that our backup QB, or any player on this team rather, gets talked up a little... Jesus

There's talking up and then there's acting like he's now a superstar. Proud of the kid for what he did but it's just so ridiculous that these so called analysts don't even watch the tape to back up what they're saying.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
There's talking up and then there's acting like he's now a superstar. Proud of the kid for what he did but it's just so ridiculous that these so called analysts don't even watch the tape to back up what they're saying.
It's almost Matt Flynn 2.0. Almost being the key word here.