• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
The discussion is still tiring, I don't know why they separate into sides, they are the 2 qb of the same team, instead of being happy that we have them, they create a huge problem because some say that he played well / played badly determined qb, I moved away from soccer For the same reason, let's enjoy the opinions and the disagreement, if we all agree it would be boring

I don't even think the box score is that impressive honestly, outside of the 4 TDs he put up. Take away Andrews bowling over people for 44 yards and Huntley had an average of 6 yards per completion. That's not good.
I mean outside the 4 TD’s he threw for/ran for there would have been none! And personally I don’t see anything wrong with a short passing game? I mean we have struggled big time with the downfield passing game for a while now. 6 yds per pass is not highlight reel shit but it was good enough to keep up with one of the better teams in football right now.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It's not taking away Andrews. It's taking away the one play all game that inflated the passing yards that had little to do with what Huntley did and then evaluate the numbers. What it says is that there was no downfield passing game whatsoever.
I understand simplifying a game plan for an inexperienced QB. But why, with any QB and a make shift O line that has been giving up sacks like candy at Halloween, would you call downfield pass plays that take longer to develop?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The discussion is still tiring, I don't know why they separate into sides, they are the 2 qb of the same team, instead of being happy that we have them, they create a huge problem because some say that he played well / played badly determined qb, I moved away from soccer For the same reason, let's enjoy the opinions and the disagreement, if we all agree it would be boring

I agree with the sentiment we should be happy with all of our players when they play well no matter who they are.

HOWEVER, no one is unhappy that Huntley has played well for a backup and kept us in games. People are simply pointing out a few things:

The playbook and play style Huntley got was vanilla compared to Lamar. This is not up for debate. Just look at the statistics that show there was no downfield passing. Additionally, look at Huntley on each play and you'll see he's not scanning past his first or second read. Finally, look at the receivers who are not the primary reads, they aren't running full effort routes.

With this being said, that strategy has for a couple of weeks been decently effective and so I believe most people think that striking more of a balance between what we normally do and what we've done with Huntley will help everyone out on the team.

The last point being simply that although Huntley has been decently effective the last few weeks, it's unsustainable and unlikely to think that vanilla offenses with no downfield threat will remain sustainable after there are a few weeks of tape available.

I'm happy Huntley kept us in the game and did well, it's just unlikely that he can keep that up with no changes.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean outside the 4 TD’s he threw for/ran for there would have been none! And personally I don’t see anything wrong with a short passing game? I mean we have struggled big time with the downfield passing game for a while now. 6 yds per pass is not highlight reel shit but it was good enough to keep up with one of the better teams in football right now.

The problem is that it's not sustainable. Again, I've given the kid his props. He did well with what they asked him to do and that's great. I'm more than happy for him and love him as a backup. I just don't understand this love like he went out there and just killed it.

Simba

Staff Member
I understand simplifying a game plan for an inexperienced QB. But why, with any QB and a make shift O line that has been giving up sacks like candy at Halloween, would you call downfield pass plays that take longer to develop?

I think you're mistaking the reason why. They didn't avoid going downfield because they didn't trust the OL. They didn't go downfield because of the physical limitations of the QB.

I think you're mistaking the reason why. They didn't avoid going downfield because they didn't trust the OL. They didn't go downfield because of the physical limitations of the QB.

I didn’t say anything about the O line and I don’t think you know that for sure. Personally I think they didn’t ask him to do that because of his inexperience, and because we literally only have one downfield threat. Add the O line has not been great. Same reasons Lamar has been struggling in the downfield passing game.

edit: oops! Quoted wrong post.

The problem is that it's not sustainable. Again, I've given the kid his props. He did well with what they asked him to do and that's great. I'm more than happy for him and love him as a backup. I just don't understand this love like he went out there and just killed it.
TBH though, most 2nd year backup QB’s with his game experience don’t play as well as he has, given the circumstances. I think we should all be happy for him.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I’m not mistaking that reason, but am offering an additional explanation that is pretty obvious as well. Seems that if your line can’t protect and give the QB time (Tyler, Lamar, or anyone) you don’t to go downfield it would be dumb to try to do so. Compounding the situation is the lack of a reliable run game to slow the pass rush. Quicker developing plays, scheme away from a weakness.

Last edited:

Simba

Staff Member
TBH though, most 2nd year backup QB’s with his game experience don’t play as well as he has, given the circumstances. I think we should all be happy for him.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him. And I think this "debate" has compounded too much into those who agree that he did well. My argument has always been more against those that are anointing him a star and saying we can trade him for a premium now. Would absolutely love to be proven wrong though.

Simba

Staff Member
I’m not mistaking that reason, but am offering an additional explanation that is pretty obvious as well. Seems that if your line can’t protect and give the QB(Tyler, Lamar, or anyone) time you don’t to go downfield it would be dumb to try to do so. Compounding the situation is the lack of a reliable run game to slow the pass rush. Quicker developing plays, scheme away from your weakness.

I don't disagree entirely. Think there needs to be more emphasis on getting the ball out quicker but can't go down to the vanilla level we saw on Sunday. Think you need to do some of that with Lamar to get him in rhythm but you still have to threaten downfield. Main difference here is that Lamar has that threat where I don't think anyone is going to respect Huntley going downfield until he gets out there and proves that he can do it... and that's always been my issue with him is that I don't think he can be that threat.

But once again, really happy for him and with him. I genuinely hope he proves me wrong. There's nothing I'd like more.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I don't disagree entirely. Think there needs to be more emphasis on getting the ball out quicker but can't go down to the vanilla level we saw on Sunday. Think you need to do some of that with Lamar to get him in rhythm but you still have to threaten downfield. Main difference here is that Lamar has that threat where I don't think anyone is going to respect Huntley going downfield until he gets out there and proves that he can do it... and that's always been my issue with him is that I don't think he can be that threat.

But once again, really happy for him and with him. I genuinely hope he proves me wrong. There's nothing I'd like more.

Whole heartedly agree, but I just don’t see the value in forcing that last week or any time soon given the state of our O line. And I hope we’re able to keep Tyler as the backup.

Talking about the idea of a trading Huntley next year, isn’t he a FA come 2022?

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him. And I think this "debate" has compounded too much into those who agree that he did well. My argument has always been more against those that are anointing him a star and saying we can trade him for a premium now. Would absolutely love to be proven wrong though.
Well I would agree that we wouldn’t get a premium for him with his experience but I do hope there are some teams looking at him. I think he has potential.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Well I would agree that we wouldn’t get a premium for him with his experience but I do hope there are some teams looking at him. I think he has potential.
I’d rather we try to keep him for at least a couple of years as he’s most valuable to us as a backup to Lamar.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
Whole heartedly agree, but I just don’t see the value in forcing that last week or any time soon given the state of our O line. And I hope we’re able to keep Tyler as the backup.

Talking about the idea of a trading Huntley next year, isn’t he a FA come 2022?

until 2023 it is under our control

I’d rather we try to keep him for at least a couple of years as he’s most valuable to us as a backup to Lamar.
I wouldn’t have a problem with that. It just depends on whether he gets a generous offer from another team. He’s a RFA next year.