• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
They"ll pay Lamar, then lose many players worth keeping and therefore remain/ become a mediocre team for years to come. But the stands will remain full because people will pay to see Lamar, he"ll be the draw. I want to know how tge Rams afford all the top talent they've signed, and how they all remain so healthy, covid not withstanding

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They"ll pay Lamar, then lose many players worth keeping and therefore remain/ become a mediocre team for years to come. But the stands will remain full because people will pay to see Lamar, he"ll be the draw. I want to know how tge Rams afford all the top talent they've signed, and how they all remain so healthy, covid not withstanding

who are we gonna lose because of lamar?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm not bitter about this season, sometimes things don't go your way.

In fact, I'm actually astounded at that without our starting QB, half the OL, entire RB room, 1 TE, and missing Bateman for a good chunk of time we've been as decent on offense as we have been.

Add in how bad it was on defense and its comical. Never got one snap out of Wolfe, Calais and BWill were hurt a ton, Malik literally got shot, no MP, Marlon, AA, Westry, Elliot, the list goes on. We were playing defense with Jaylon Ferguson rushing the passer and Bobby Jackson covering Davante Adams on an island.

My point is, I think the roster is really really really strong. I think the head coaching and team spirit and cohesiveness is very strong.

I think the defensive coaching can be modernized

I think it's entirely time for a new offense mind to come in and take LJ to the next level.

We've got a lot of draft capital, should be in a relatively strong position there. We have some cap space opening up thanks Earl!!

2022 is gonna be the year of the Ravens.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

good perspective on Roman and 2022

it will ultimately somewhat come down to what lamar thinks of roman

Then it doesn’t bode well for Roman’s future with us. You have to imagine the WRs would be in Lamar’s ear about GRo

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don't think a ton of people are going to like this because there are obviously other huge needs like OL and DL and secondary, but nonetheless here it goes.

A huge draft need for the Baltimore Ravens is TE. We were EXCEPTIONALLY lucky to have Andrews be healthy all year. Imagine if he's out for even one game. Even with a healthy Boyle we've got 0 and I mean 0 receiving threat without Andrews.

I'm not asking for a 1st rounder but if we learned anything from this season it's, if you know your depth at a position us poor, a la Tackle, you might want to invest in it. So gimme a real TE3 so we can get back to the days of Andrews, Boyle, and Hurst making people PAY.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think a ton of people are going to like this because there are obviously other huge needs like OL and DL and secondary, but nonetheless here it goes.

A huge draft need for the Baltimore Ravens is TE. We were EXCEPTIONALLY lucky to have Andrews be healthy all year. Imagine if he's out for even one game. Even with a healthy Boyle we've got 0 and I mean 0 receiving threat without Andrews.

I'm not asking for a 1st rounder but if we learned anything from this season it's, if you know your depth at a position us poor, a la Tackle, you might want to invest in it. So gimme a real TE3 so we can get back to the days of Andrews, Boyle, and Hurst making people PAY.

I don't really see the need other than a developmental guy at the back end of the roster. You can only plan for so much depth and the 3 TE sets have all but left this team the last 2 years. I'm not spending big capital to get a guy that is TE3 at best currently.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think the problem is that anyone good enough to be productive is going to take serious investment
and anyone we take late is unlikely to yield enough talent to be a backup to Andrews

i see it as far more likely that in the event that andrews goes down for a game or 2, that we see more 10 personnel

we dont use 3 TE sets enough to warrant investing in a 3rd guy - especially as Ricard takes some of the TE3 role anyway

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Then it doesn’t bode well for Roman’s future with us. You have to imagine the WRs would be in Lamar’s ear about GRo

You'd think the receivers probably are in his ear yeah. Tbh this is interesting. Because if they are in his ear, I have no doubt Lamar tells Harbs it's time to move on.

However, if they aren't in his ear, maybe there isn't a Roman problem and it's just us fans putting too much blame on him for the cursed season.

My only point here is given that tweet, if Roman is back it's because the players want him here.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think the problem is that anyone good enough to be productive is going to take serious investment
and anyone we take late is unlikely to yield enough talent to be a backup to Andrews

i see it as far more likely that in the event that andrews goes down for a game or 2, that we see more 10 personnel

Oh I hear you, my point with that was if Andrews goes down one game, your TE passing game is thrown out wack for a week. If he goes down for a season which is always possible, as the roster is currently constructed, that is potentially an unovercomable injury for us.

I cannot name one player on offense AFTER LAMAR, that would be as season altering to lose as Andrews.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
who are we gonna lose because of lamar?
Can they pay Bozeman,
Can they pay Bozeman, Ricard, Elliot, Stone and Averett next year? Just some players that might be worth keeping

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh I hear you, my point with that was if Andrews goes down one game, your TE passing game is thrown out wack for a week. If he goes down for a season which is always possible, as the roster is currently constructed, that is potentially an unovercomable injury for us.

I cannot name one player on offense AFTER LAMAR, that would be as season effecting to lose as Andrews.

i mean tbf that's what happens with basically any star if you lose them for the season
look at what happened with the loss of MP
look at what happened with the loss of Marlon
look at what happened with the loss of Ronnie

we werent able to replace any of those guys and our season's likely over because of it

Simba

Staff Member

I cannot name one player on offense AFTER LAMAR, that would be as season altering to lose as Andrews.

If you can account for quality depth at every single position, we'd be winning the SB nearly every year. You can only do so much with the cap constraints. Would much rather have a quality starter at a premium position than a TE3. Think you'll need to start looking at TE eventually as Boyle gets closer to 30 but it's not something pressing just yet.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i mean tbf that's what happens with basically any star if you lose them for the season
look at what happened with the loss of MP
look at what happened with the loss of Marlon
look at what happened with the loss of Ronnie

we werent able to replace any of those guys and our season's likely over because of it

Agreed. But what I would say is on offense, we're prepared to lose a star at WR, we have the depth. With our running backs coming back, we could probably afford to lose ONE of them. We could afford to lose a G or C, we have the depth.

The two places we don't have the depth to afford to lose someone is T and TE.

T is more important 100%, but doesn't mean TE isn't still important

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can they pay Bozeman,

Can they pay Bozeman, Ricard, Elliot, Stone and Averett next year? Just some players that might be worth keeping

stone's an ERFA and Ricard's a fullback so both of those guys are easy

Elliot will be completely down to price (not because of lamar but because we have stephens and stone) and what he gets offered elsewhere - i imagine the ravens will give him an offer but wont be too fussed if he decides to look elsewhere

averett's more complicated and again likely unrelated to lamar - more that it's unlikely we would be paying 4 CBs major 2nd contracts at the same time - so decision about averett will be related to what we decide to do with peters and/or tavon as well as what averett's price is on the market...

none of these decisions really have anything to do with lamar

and bozeman's future deal wont either - the ravens will be willing to pay him a good contract and he will either accept it or find more elsewhere (the ravens historically have always stuck to "right player right price" and rarely go over the number no matter how much cap space they have available)

Simba

Staff Member
Agreed. But what I would say is on offense, we're prepared to lose a star at WR, we have the depth. With our running backs coming back, we could probably afford to lose ONE of them. We could afford to lose a G or C, we have the depth.

But are you getting better than a Josh Oliver type anyways without exhausting a premium draft pick (i.e. day 1 or day 2)? Probably not. TE is typically a position that requires a sizable investment.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If you can account for quality depth at every single position, we'd be winning the SB nearly every year. You can only do so much with the cap constraints. Would much rather have a quality starter at a premium position than a TE3. Think you'll need to start looking at TE eventually as Boyle gets closer to 30 but it's not something pressing just yet.

Agreed. Still think something like a 4th round pick is not a huge investment given there is zero passing catching depth behind Andrews.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
But are you getting better than a Josh Oliver type anyways without exhausting a premium draft pick (i.e. day 1 or day 2)? Probably not. TE is typically a position that requires a sizable investment.

Yeah in my other post I mentioned something like a 4th round pick. All I'm looking for is someone who of they had to play the entire season as receiving TE1 could get 500 or 600 yards, not Andrews 1200. I legitimately believe Oliver could not do it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it's taken significant investment to achieve the depth we have at WR, IOL and CB and we've actually invested a significant amount of money and draft capital in TE recently also

id love to improve that TE3 spot for sure - but i dont want to have to spend anything on that position to find that player because there's very little likely value in that player