• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
14-16 could be the difference between getting a potential faller like ojabo or Hamilton or ekwonu, and missing out and grabbing a lower tier player.
How many times did we see someone snatched up before we got on the clock? Give me the higher pick every time. 2 spots can make a huge difference. I agree with you 100%

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
also makes it more likely we're closer to the range that someone might want to trade up into

just last year the jets gave up the 23rd pick a 2nd and a 3rd for the 14th pick and a late 4th rounder
Also makes a big difference in later rounds as well, landing a guy who has no business going that late just cuz they slipped through the cracks

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also makes a big difference in later rounds as well, landing a guy who has no business going that late just cuz they slipped through the cracks

we've also got the advantage at the end of day 2 and beginning of day 3 that we're looking at a mid-3rd rounder, a late 3rd round comp for Culley then the 3rd pick in round 4 (giants) then a couple of mid 4th rounders and then 2 late 4th rounders (if the comp picks come in)

we're going to be in range for everyone we might want in those rounds - no significant part of the draft in that 3rd-4th range where we're not in position to go up and get a guy or move back and get a guy and potentially double up on people with similar grades if we want

obviously i like higher picks but there's a lot of value in picking at the beginning of a day too and that giants 4th round pick is cool

Simba

Staff Member
we've also got the advantage at the end of day 2 and beginning of day 3 that we're looking at a mid-3rd rounder, a late 3rd round comp for Culley then the 3rd pick in round 4 (giants) then a couple of mid 4th rounders and then 2 late 4th rounders (if the comp picks come in)

we're going to be in range for everyone we might want in those rounds - no significant part of the draft in that 3rd-4th range where we're not in position to go up and get a guy or move back and get a guy and potentially double up on people with similar grades if we want

obviously i like higher picks but there's a lot of value in picking at the beginning of a day too and that giants 4th round pick is cool

And if you get to one of those picks and are debating 2 separate guys, you can go up and get the other if you want without distancing yourself too far from the next tier with all of these picks in a relatively short amount of time.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Frustrating to see so many folks seemingly happy we lost so we could slide a few spots in the draft. I don’t understand that mentality and it sets a terrible precedent. Our chances of advancing this year we’re slim to none, but I’ll take that over no chance any day. Especially in a weird COVID year like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simba

Staff Member
Think Gronk too right? Think we were gunning for both Dez and Gronk in that draft

Could be wrong but I feel like it was stated that we liked Gronk but shared the same injury concerns with a lot of other teams. But could be misremembering.

Simba

Staff Member
Frustrating to see so many folks seemingly happy we lost so we could slide a few spots in the draft. I don’t understand that mentality and it sets a terrible precedent. Our chances of advancing this year we’re slim to none, but I’ll take that over no chance any day. Especially in a weird COVID year like this.

I don't think anyone is necessarily happy we lost. As much as I'm glad to see the season over for my own sake, I still wanted to see them win and will never root against them. I think we just understood the reality and once that happened, attention turned to the draft and we ended up in the best possible spot we could have in that regard. That's worth getting excited over at this juncture.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
There were quite a few calling for the L before the game so we could get a high pick. I am glad the I won’t have to watch many more heart attacks on Sunday for a little while , but I’m pissed we didn’t beat our rival. Apparently we’re selecting Jesus Christ at 14 so it’s all good

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
For some reason NFL.com has us picking 12 ahead of Cleveland and Minnesota.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There were quite a few calling for the L before the game so we could get a high pick. I am glad the I won’t have to watch many more heart attacks on Sunday for a little while , but I’m pissed we didn’t beat our rival. Apparently we’re selecting Jesus Christ at 14 so it’s all good

lol, well I for one wanted to beat the Steelers to keep them out of the playoffs. We weren't good enough to do much damage in the playoffs this year and if we did somehow make it in, who would be injured next week. I never root for my team to lose. That's the Browns and Washington's mentality.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean yeah... would have been happy to be in the playoffs - but not pissed off we lost at all given the state of the roster and the pretty great silver lining (especially now that the dolphins lost which would have made an unlikely win meaningless beyond just the rivalry)

and it doesnt really set any precedent at all lol - unless people here are sneakily working inside owings mills