• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
you have been radicalised dude and somehow these "addicts" have become the monster under the bed for you - all those things are tragic but they're also not solved by getting rid of drugs

poor and desperate people and communities will remain poor and desperate communities even after drugs disappear

also feels pretty awful for someone who was a police officer to make such gross generalisations about an entire city of people
Maybe seeing and experiencing what I have has affected me. Maybe if you walked in my shoes, you would feel differently. My heart still bleeds for the innocent people that are victims of this mess. I try my best to help them. I still care.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I’m not even saying go that far, but man all I know is the war on drugs was lost a long time ago and it’s time to change the approach.

people get paid way more than me to solve these problems, so while I fully agree that it’s a complex situation that would likely take decades to resolve, I can’t fault myself for not having answers, but the professionals should see prohibition has failed, and different approaches have had great results worldwide, start by studying that.

And how do you think it reached that point? You think police beating the shit out of corner kids and arresting them on humbles has been effective? Man I’m not absolving these dudes, I know that the drug game is full of absolutely horrible who do unspeakable and unforgivable shit, and I’m not saying that every cop is a bad guy or bad cop, what I’m saying is that the game and the rules these people have to play by are fundamentally broken. If the approach to drugs was rerouted 20 years ago god knows how much progress could’ve been made by now, but we stayed the course and it’s gotten exponentially worse for both sides with each generation.
Brother, this shit will NEVER be fixed in our lifetime. Baltimore City is becoming ”no man’s land.” If all law enforcement walked away tomorrow, life there would be complete chaos. It would truly be every man for himself. It may come to that because no one wants to do the job anymore. I can’t say I blame them because it is getting way too dangerous for the amount you are paid. People actually cheer when police officers are killed there. I am starting to believe the majority don’t care. I could never recommend, in good conscience, anyone taking this job. I worry about the future. It is getting worse by the year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So as long as they are committing property crimes instead of crimes against persons, it’s all good? Most addicts in the City of Baltimore are committing crimes because of their addiction. You must have never lived in a major crime ridden, drug infested, American City if you think the vast majority of drug users don’t cause a nuisance. No offense, but I find your statement insane, based on my life experiences.
I have lived in a major crime ridden drug infested American city, hell I’ve lived with both addicts and dealers in my own house, spent most of my childhood and adolescence that way, and I can tell you, YOUR life experiences AS A POLICE OFFICER have led you to the absolute worst of the bunch, you took a career that called upon you to deal with scum of the earth type people, and you have seen drugs through a microscope rather than through a broad lens, MANY drug addicts are not like that in the slightest, in fact you’d be absolutely shocked at how many drug addicts you know but had no idea they were addicts, people who work every day and are struggling with their mental health to the point that they feel suicidal and yeah they’re on drugs, but the only ones they harm are themselves, should they be arrested for illegally using drugs? Or should they be helped?

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I have lived in a major crime ridden drug infested American city, hell I’ve lived with both addicts and dealers in my own house, spent most of my childhood and adolescence that way, and I can tell you, YOUR life experiences AS A POLICE OFFICER have led you to the absolute worst of the bunch, you took a career that called upon you to deal with scum of the earth type people, and you have seen drugs through a microscope rather than through a broad lens, MANY drug addicts are not like that in the slightest, in fact you’d be absolutely shocked at how many drug addicts you know but had no idea they were addicts, people who work every day and are struggling with their mental health to the point that they feel suicidal and yeah they’re on drugs, but the only ones they harm are themselves, should they be arrested for illegally using drugs? Or should they be helped?
Anyone that can be helped, I truly want to see helped. Honestly, heroin addiction is just too hard for most addicts to overcome. In Baltimore City, heroin is king.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the other side to it, is not only has he mostly only seen the worst people involved, he's only even been involved with addicts as an adversary because he was a soldier in the "war on drugs" - clearly never as a friend or a peer or he'd have a very different world view...

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
the other side to it, is not only has he mostly only seen the worst people involved, he's only even been involved with addicts as an adversary because he was a soldier in the "war on drugs" - clearly never as a friend or a peer or he'd have a very different world view...
Okay, maybe if I was a drug addiction counselor, I would be more of a friend to addicts. Maybe if you were a police officer in the housing projects of Baltimore City, you’d have a very different world view.

I take it that, by the way you respond to my posts, you have an extremely negative view of me and what I do.

You are a lot younger than I am and I know you don’t have my life experiences, so I don’t fault you for having the the view you have. I have a loved one addicted to heroin and it breaks my heart that no one has been able to help him. He has had multiple DUI’s and he is still driving around because of all the second, third, four, and fifth chances. I know he is probably on the road somewhere right now “high as a kite.” He couldn’t care less. He nods off constantly when he is behind the wheel. He is going to kill someone. I am sorry, I wish he was put away in prison, where he can’t kill a mother out grocery shopping, while her three young children are in grade school.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Okay, maybe if I was a drug addiction counselor, I would be more of a friend to addicts. Maybe if you were a police officer in the housing projects of Baltimore City, you’d have a very different world view.

I take it that, by the way you respond to my posts, you have an extremely negative view of me and what I do.

You are a lot younger than I am and I know you don’t have my life experiences, so I don’t fault you for having the the view you have. I have loved one’s addicted to heroin and it breaks my heart that no one has been able to help him. He has had multiple DUI’s and he is still driving around because of all the second, third, four, and fifth chances. I know he is probably on the road somewhere right now “high as a kite.” He couldn’t care less. He nods off constantly when he is behind the wheel. He is going to kill someone. I am sorry, I wish he was put away in prison, where he can’t kill a mother out grocery shopping, while her three young children are in grade school.

you're absolutely right - i am younger than you, and im not a police officer and i never ever will be and we have completely different life experiences

but it worries me that as a police officer, whose job is supposedly to "protect and serve" their communities, that you talk about and seem to think of addicts as aliens and not neighbours...

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
also the second best thing you do by legalising drugs is you get to tax them lol...

that's on top of the fact that you can ensure safe products, more healthy consumption and destigmatise drug-use and therefore enable more efficient solutions to those suffering with addiction
Safe products? Yea ok guy. Meanwhile the real drug crisis is from legally/over-prescribed opioids. Over 1500 a week dying in the US alone from ODs….. Off you go back to your theoretical utopia.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
you're absolutely right - i am younger than you, and im not a police officer and i never ever will be and we have completely different life experiences

but it worries me that as a police officer, whose job is supposedly to "protect and serve" their communities, that you talk about and seem to think of addicts as aliens and not neighbours...
I care about people, but if I see them buying heroin, am I supposed to neglect my duties and just turn a blind eye? I think a lot of good people in Baltimore City would be pissed if they saw me doing that. Suppose the person I let go, is the person that is going to bash an old lady over the head with that hammer later on tonight, so they can shoot that shit in their arm one more time? Am I not serving and protecting her by enforcing the law and making an arrest? You seem to be so judgemental, but I can’t just look at everyone as “neighbors.” If I pull a drunk driver over, do I tell them to park their car on the side of the road and give him a taxi ride home to the county or arrest him? Not everything I do is black and white. If I let a drunk driver wait for a ride home and I leave to backup an officer on a domestic call and that driver decides to get back into their car and kills someone, I have to live with that. You don’t.

Last edited:

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I care about people, but if I see them buying heroin, am I supposed to neglect my duties and just turn a blind eye? I think a lot of good people in Baltimore City would be pissed if they saw me doing that. Suppose the person I let go, is the person that is going to bash an old lady over the head with that hammer later on tonight, so they can shoot that shit in their arm one more time? Am I not serving and protecting her by enforcing the law and making an arrest? You seem to be so judgemental, but I can’t just look at everyone as “neighbors.” If I pull a drunk driver over, do I tell them to park their car on the side of the road and give him a taxi ride home to the county or arrest him? Not everything I do is black and white. If I let a drunk driver wait for a ride home and I leave to backup an officer on a domestic call and that driver decides to get back into their car and kills someone, I have to live with that. You don’t.
Don’t stress it man . I know plenty of Marines who became cops and they tell some crazy stories about drugs destroying families . They look at drug enforcement as saving someone’s life. Serious drugs that is, don’t know a single one that waste time on small things like weed.

The people arguing against your position are looking at it from a singular childs perspective. They have no real world experience to understand the nuance and difficulties of the situation. Very much a black and white perspective.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Don’t stress it man . I know plenty of Marines who became cops and they tell some crazy stories about drugs destroying families . They look at drug enforcement as saving someone’s life. Serious drugs that is, don’t know a single one that waste time on small things like weed.

The people arguing against your position are looking at it from a singular childs perspective. They have no real world experience to understand the nuance and difficulties of the situation. Very much a black and white perspective.
Thanks! I certainly don’t need to add a fifth blood pressure medicine, four is plenty! Yeah, small amounts of marihuana is not even enforced anymore. They would just throw it out. Many judges do it. They are not tested like we are.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Addicts have been “othered” by the police and an entire career of indoctrination is hard to turn around.

Anyone that can be helped, I truly want to see helped. Honestly, heroin addiction is just too hard for most addicts to overcome. In Baltimore City, heroin is king.
Forgive me for thinking otherwise, you led me to believe you think addicts need to be “taken off the street” so to speak

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

You’re wrong though. You don’t even know the point we’re trying to make, or at least mine.

Drugs do destroy families, working to prevent drug abuse is not a bad thing at all. All I’m saying is that the way we’re working to prevent drug abuse is not gonna work.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is why I have honest conversations with my daughter about substances. I'm not perfect, I did dumb shit in high school and college, and I want her to know that. I don't want to be some overbearing parent that is above reproach. Hopefully shell talk to me before letting some D bag peer pressure into something stupid like drug use that could kill her.
I remember when my son was in elementary and middle school, I had a similar conversation with my son fessing up to him about the mistakes I had made. I told him simply that he had a choice to make. One choice led him to great things and the other had a chance of disrupting his life. Thankfully, he seemed to have chosen right.