• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Those career earnings are bs and people always leave out taxes and agents. Yes, it's still more than normal people will ever see, but we don't know his cost of living due to the wear and tear of the league. I've never been a fan of pocket watching. Never understood how people would judge players for trying to maximize their value while also never trying to hold owners and the FO to the same standard.
I mean OK, but a) he doesn't have to have an agent if he doesn't want to, b) everybody pays taxes, and c) cost of living from the wear and tear of the league is mostly going to be covered by the league while he's a player. You think he's paying for his own surgeries?

Like I'm sympathetic to the idea, but lets not pretend like pretty much anybody wouldn't trade places. He's not lobbying to get paid more because he's concerned his children won't eat if he doesn't. That's not on his radar, and if it is, it'll be his fault that occurs.

He's lobbying to get paid because he's human, he wants to get paid as much as he can, and he has a contract that says he should.

I hold Owners and FO personnel to the same standard all the time. They're doing what's in their best interest also. Owners are owners because the business is highly profitable. If it wasn't, they'd sell. DeCosta does what he does well because Ownership will pay him millions to act on their behalf and do it well. And he's also going to make decisions that make it less likely for him to be fired... like every other GM.

That's why I always bash fans who suggest teams should tank. Like that's a typical "no skin in the game" take, because the fan risks nothing by winning, or losing. Life isn't altered in any way. Meanwhile, the GM who tanks to get better players will get fired before those better players emerge, and somebody else will get the credit and accolades from those decisions. Which is why it really doesn't happen.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but do you think Hollywood being gone will impact the run game? Feel like more teams will bring their safeties down. Articles say we're still stressing the deep passing game but who steps up?

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I mean OK, but a) he doesn't have to have an agent if he doesn't want to, b) everybody pays taxes, and c) cost of living from the wear and tear of the league is mostly going to be covered by the league while he's a player. You think he's paying for his own surgeries?

Like I'm sympathetic to the idea, but lets not pretend like pretty much anybody wouldn't trade places. He's not lobbying to get paid more because he's concerned his children won't eat if he doesn't. That's not on his radar, and if it is, it'll be his fault that occurs.

He's lobbying to get paid because he's human, he wants to get paid as much as he can, and he has a contract that says he should.

I hold Owners and FO personnel to the same standard all the time. They're doing what's in their best interest also. Owners are owners because the business is highly profitable. If it wasn't, they'd sell. DeCosta does what he does well because Ownership will pay him millions to act on their behalf and do it well. And he's also going to make decisions that make it less likely for him to be fired... like every other GM.

That's why I always bash fans who suggest teams should tank. Like that's a typical "no skin in the game" take, because the fan risks nothing by winning, or losing. Life isn't altered in any way. Meanwhile, the GM who tanks to get better players will get fired before those better players emerge, and somebody else will get the credit and accolades from those decisions. Which is why it really doesn't happen.

Agree with most of this. Just saying people see the numbers and never take into account what they actually get on these new deals. And I know they're taken care of while playing but some issues linger into retirement.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but do you think Hollywood being gone will impact the run game? Feel like more teams will bring their safeties down. Articles say we're still stressing the deep passing game but who steps up?
Yep 100% gonna happen.. no real deep threat. unless we spread the field more often and stop getting in obvious run formations, we are gonna be in trouble

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Yep 100% gonna happen.. no real deep threat. unless we spread the field more often and stop getting in obvious run formations, we are gonna be in trouble
Yea I think they want Duv to fill that role but I don't think that's going to happen lol. I hope they figure something out

JAAM

Hall of Famer

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've heard we are practicing it more than we ever have, but practice is practice and we won't know until the season begins how well we do and how it will impact our run game.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
not only that, many players go bankrupt for not managing their money properly. It's a sad fact.
Yep.. that money coming in fast and they blow it fast while creating crazy expenses that they cant keep up with.. i think the new generation of players have been doing a good job with… or atleast they seem so

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
We were very good on Special Teams last season. I think we need the same to happen this season to be succesful. With a kicker like Tucker though I'm always confident.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
LOL, he's got $51M in career earnings. Food, gas isn't a concern. His family has generational wealth, i.e. his kids probably never have to work a day in their lives if he manages his money right.
It's not a cost issue. It's that everybody is out for themselves. Ravens want max production for the least amount of money possible, players want min production for the most amount of money possible.

I don't count another mans pocket and regardless of the amount of money he has accumulated through his career there still isn't a such thing as too much Money. Ray Lewis probably has more money than him and he still working to this day as sports analyst if I'm not mistaken

Last edited:

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
SC is reporting Bill Belichek will be the Pats OC. They seem like a mess. How do you have a HC who is also a GM and also a coordinator?
They think he is God's gift to football so he can handle it in their minds. Personally hope the Pats crash and burn as I do every season.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Those career earnings are bs and people always leave out taxes and agents. Yes, it's still more than normal people will ever see, but we don't know his cost of living due to the wear and tear of the league. I've never been a fan of pocket watching. Never understood how people would judge players for trying to maximize their value while also never trying to hold owners and the FO to the same standard.
Yep. It's why I will never judge a player for grabbing the biggest contract they can get. When they're retired and all beat up that money will mean more than playoff wins.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea I think they want Duv to fill that role but I don't think that's going to happen lol. I hope they figure something out
The great deep threats usually find ways to stall cbs to get by them (a stutter step, a fake comeback, etc). I've never seen that from Duv. You can't consistently beat DBs by just trying to race them down field, even if you have great speed.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I don't count another mans pocket and regardless of the amount of money he has accumulated through his career there still isn't a such thing as too much Money. Ray Lewis probably has more money than him and he still working to this day as sports analyst if I'm not mistaken
Shit look at brady lol..