• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We were very good on Special Teams last season. I think we need the same to happen this season to be succesful. With a kicker like Tucker though I'm always confident.
replacing Koch isn't the easiest thing to do, especially when it comes to holding for Tucker. Although I know we needed a new punter and it seems as though we got a winner, I still have reservations on if he can hold as good as Koch. Atleast Koch will be here to advise.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but do you think Hollywood being gone will impact the run game? Feel like more teams will bring their safeties down. Articles say we're still stressing the deep passing game but who steps up?

idk if this has some ideas - can someone post the text from this (baltimoresun still unavailable in europe)

but my thoughts generally are that teams are already bringing their safeties down but if they do then the middle of the field is open and rashod and andrews will feast in the intermediate-to-deep middle

if teams bring safeties down we'll eat - the problem last year was that teams stopped feeling threatened by the run game so were able to drop safeties and play 2-deep or bring the safeties down and blitz without gap discipline and not worry about the possibility of us handing it off or throwing a screen to the RB because we had no one that could punish them for getting beat in that way

JAAM

Hall of Famer
it's going to be rashod - people forget he's also blazing fast too lol
Shit good point lol. He does have some wheels. I'm just scared to death at the depth behind him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The great deep threats usually find ways to stall cbs to get by them (a stutter step, a fake comeback, etc). I've never seen that from Duv. You can't consistently beat DBs by just trying to race them down field, even if you have great speed.

yeah there's more to being a deep threat than speed - it's why guys like antonio brown are great deep threats despite not having either great size or crazy long speed either

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
By hiring bill Belichick
That cannot go well for them. Also there is no wya he's being paid what he should for doing all those roles right?

But it's gotta be such a disadvantage. Instead of having division of labor, specialized expertise etc etc you just have Bill going rogue taking small school guards in the first and calling offense lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That cannot go well for them. Also there is no wya he's being paid what he should for doing all those roles right?

But it's gotta be such a disadvantage. Instead of having division of labor, specialized expertise etc etc you just have Bill going rogue taking small school guards in the first and calling offense lol
To pats fans it’s all worth it so that they can see these moments once every 2 years

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

idk if this has some ideas - can someone post the text from this (baltimoresun still unavailable in europe)

but my thoughts generally are that teams are already bringing their safeties down but if they do then the middle of the field is open and rashod and andrews will feast in the intermediate-to-deep middle

if teams bring safeties down we'll eat - the problem last year was that teams stopped feeling threatened by the run game so were able to drop safeties and play 2-deep or bring the safeties down and blitz without gap discipline and not worry about the possibility of us handing it off or throwing a screen to the RB because we had no one that could punish them for getting beat in that way

There wasn't much in that article.

“It was something that Coach [John] Harbaugh wanted us to improve on, and us as an offense, as players and coaches, wanted to improve on, so it’s been an emphasis,” Ravens wide receivers coach Tee Martin said during minicamp. “We’ve been pushing the ball down the field more in individual drills, before we even get to seven-on-seven and things of that nature, and just really seeing what we are. It’s hard to correct something if you don’t know what the issues are, and so we’ve been making that more of an emphasis and getting more reps at that, and we’ve been seeing improvement.”

Part of the problem was Jackson’s frayed connection with Brown, his favorite deep threat. Only seven wide receivers were targeted downfield as often or more often than Brown in 2021, yet 18 wide receivers had more receptions of 20-plus air yards than Brown. Drops were a problem; Brown finished with four over his 28 targets. Jackson misfired often, too.

By the time an ankle injury ended Jackson’s season in mid-December, his early-season rhythm with Brown had all but disappeared. Backup Tyler Huntley, with his limited arm strength, couldn’t resuscitate Brown’s downfield production, either. On deep shots last year, Brown’s expected points added per target — a measure of efficiency that accounts for situational factors such as down, distance and field position — was minus-0.30, according to SIS. The EPA per carry of Ravens running back Le’Veon Bell, who was cut after five games: minus-0.13.

It’s unclear whether Brown’s departure will amount to addition by subtraction in coordinator Greg Roman’s passing scheme. Brown, who finished last season with a career-high 1,008 yards and six touchdown catches despite the offense’s injury struggles, helped soften up secondaries for the Ravens’ short-range passing game with the attention he attracted on downfield routes.

In Mark Andrews, the Ravens do have one proven field-stretching threat. The All-Pro tied with the Atlanta Falcons’ Kyle Pitts last season for the most deep catches by a tight end (eight) and led all players at the position in deep targets (19). But if defenses sell out to stop the Ravens’ ground game this season, regularly committing a safety to their run defense, Jackson will need an outside presence as well.

Rashod Bateman could not only replace Brown there but also represent an upgrade. As a sophomore at Minnesota, he was among college football’s most explosive receivers, averaging more than one deep catch per game. As a rookie in Baltimore, the first-round pick had four catches of 20-plus air yards — just two fewer than Brown despite seeing 20 fewer passes. Bateman’s EPA per deep target was an elite 0.98, ahead of even Cincinnati Bengals Ja’Marr Chase’s efficiency on such throws (0.94).

In Bateman’s relatively small sample size, there was little waste. His four downfield grabs came on five “catchable” passes, according to SIS, compared to Brown’s 6-for-12 mark. Asked at minicamp whether his downfield ability is overlooked, Bateman shrugged his shoulders and grinned. “We’ll see,” he said.

Devin Duvernay has elite speed, and his 10 deep catches for Texas in 2019 tied for second in the Big 12 Conference, behind only eventual first-round pick CeeDee Lamb. But he’s been targeted downfield just four times over his two years in Baltimore, catching one pass.
Elsewhere, production remains a question mark for the Ravens’ wide receivers, even if pedigree does not. Devin Duvernay has elite speed, and his 10 deep catches for Texas in 2019 tied for second in the Big 12 Conference, behind only eventual first-round pick CeeDee Lamb. But he’s been targeted downfield just four times over his two years in Baltimore, catching one pass.

James Proche II, a frequent downfield target at Southern Methodist, has one career catch and two targets of 20-plus air yards. Tylan Wallace, who impressed with his contested-catch ability as a deep threat at Oklahoma State, was targeted just once on a pass of longer than 10 yards as a rookie.

No one will face more pressure to perform, however, than Jackson. This offseason could mark an important stage in his downfield development, just as the 2021 offseason seemed to mark a turning point in his proficiency with sideline throws. After Roman said opposing defenses would have to cover “all 53 yards” of the field’s width, Jackson’s accuracy on unpressured throws outside the numbers improved from 64.8% to 73.5% last season, sixth best in the NFL among quarterbacks with at least 40 such attempts.

“Look, I’ve been around long enough to know that you get what you emphasize,” Ravens quarterbacks coach James Urban said at minicamp. “So you emphasize it, and you emphasize the techniques, or the route running, and all of that, and then the timing aspect of it. So you get what you emphasize, and we’re going to emphasize it.”

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I think that's way, way, way too low. I believe his base salary was $2M if I recall. Don't see why the injury settlement wouldn't be at least like 50% of that.
I'd be its closer to like $1-1.5M. Wolfe had all the leverage. An arbitrator would rule for him, because he'd just trot out like a half dozen doctors who would say he's not cleared to play football right now, and the Ravens can't contractually cut him if he's injured unless he agrees to it.

And I seriously doubt Wolfe took 10 cents on the dollar to not play.
I've always admired your conviction and confidence about things you may not know about. I've learned from you that if you say something with enough conviction, it makes even random deduction and speculation seem so real no? Kudos!

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it's funny that those guys don't "expect" it to be jimmy
but in hindsight it could really only have been him... the ravens were the only defence that consistently caused the pats any sort of problems while edelman was there, and jimmy was the difference in that defence

but because he never made a pro bowl or an all-pro, mostly due to injuries ending his seasons, he's this unknown to those who weren't closely paying attention to mid-2010s ravens football (and tbf why would anyone not a ravens or pats or AFC North follower pay any attention to the mid-2010s ravens)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

some info jeff's heard regarding wolfe settlement

if this is true then they compromised right down the middle on the guaranteed money... they get the roster spot and some cap space they might not have got, he gets the security of the 1m he didnt "deserve" and doesnt have to go to arbitration and doesn't have to pretend to rehab to get it

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

some info jeff's heard regarding wolfe settlement

if this is true then they compromised right down the middle on the guaranteed money... they get the roster spot and some cap space they might not have got, he gets the security of the 1m he didnt "deserve" and doesnt have to go to arbitration and doesn't have to pretend to rehab to get it

Damn shame about Wolfe. He played pretty well when he was on the field. Which wasn't much.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't count another mans pocket and regardless of the amount of money he has accumulated through his career there still isn't a such thing as too much Money. Ray Lewis probably has more money than him and he still working to this day as sports analyst if I'm not mistaken
Right, but for some people, that's not work. They just enjoy it. A CEO of many major company makes enough in a 5 year period to retire for life, and yet pretty much none of them do.
If they didn't enjoy the work, or get paid a ton for it, they wouldn't be doing it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've always admired your conviction and confidence about things you may not know about. I've learned from you that if you say something with enough conviction, it makes even random deduction and speculation seem so real no? Kudos!
I mean... I had already read that the Ravens cleared ~$1M in cap space from the settlement before I posted it.
How exactly did you think I arrived at the number I came up with? LOL.

I basically just subtracted 1 from 2, and bingo...

Plus, if I didn't have that, I think you'd have a very hard time finding lists of players who took injury settlements at 5-10% of a guaranteed contract value. I mean if I gave you a year, you wouldn't be able to come up with a viable reason why the player would ever do that.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

it's funny that those guys don't "expect" it to be jimmy
but in hindsight it could really only have been him... the ravens were the only defence that consistently caused the pats any sort of problems while edelman was there, and jimmy was the difference in that defence

but because he never made a pro bowl or an all-pro, mostly due to injuries ending his seasons, he's this unknown to those who weren't closely paying attention to mid-2010s ravens football (and tbf why would anyone not a ravens or pats or AFC North follower pay any attention to the mid-2010s ravens)

Jimmy without a single injury would’ve been a hall of famer and I’ll die on that hill, he’s the single most unheralded player in franchise history. God damn shame what happened to him, he was as talented, as physical, as smart, and skilled a corner as any in this league the past decade, he just couldn’t stay on the field. And the way he kept returning to great form after awful injuries was awesome. Ravens might have 2 rings in 3 years if Jimmy is healthy in the 2014 playoffs.