• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
kelce's awesome, and the reason he's still high on the list is because of what he's able to do with the ball in his hands after the catch - just seems to have a knack for making defenders look silly in space when he seemingly has no right to

i agree with you that it's tough to have anyone tbh ahead of mark after the season he just put up

i think we're looking at an elite group of 5-6 TEs at the moment, another 8-10 decent guys you like and then it's a muddle of role/utility guys or guys who are really streaky behind them

top group for me:

Tier 1:
Kittle
Andrews
Kelce
Pitts
Waller
Goedert (clearly 6th but also clearly part of this group for me)

Tier 2 (in no particular order):
Hockenson
Hunter Henry
Gesicki
Gronk (if he plays again)
Schultz
Freiermuth (probably already on this list in this tier)
Knox
Ertz

and tier 3 is basically everyone else you might possibly think about starting... guys like tyler higbee, david njoku, noah fant, evan engram etc.

No Hayden Hurst?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I like how you all are openly talking about the plan like he can't read it lol... and the sad shit is he's still going to come back
Suits our Lamar-led team to a T. Everyone and their mama knows that we're gonna run the ball and a lot and we're still a top running team in the league. Same energy!

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The big thing with Pitts is that he was productive in year 1 at a position that is historically very difficult to make an impact at that early. I'd honestly be pretty surprised if he isn't taking even further steps in the next 2-3 years that start to get people talking about one of the all-time best. Year 1 was an incredibly good showing and the tools are there to continue that grown.

Not necessarily saying you aren't saying this, but just adding some context to just how good he was. The fact that he's already in the top 5 conversation says a lot.
Absolutely agree with all this

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
kelce's awesome, and the reason he's still high on the list is because of what he's able to do with the ball in his hands after the catch - just seems to have a knack for making defenders look silly in space when he seemingly has no right to

i agree with you that it's tough to have anyone tbh ahead of mark after the season he just put up

i think we're looking at an elite group of 5-6 TEs at the moment, another 8-10 decent guys you like and then it's a muddle of role/utility guys or guys who are really streaky behind them

top group for me:

Tier 1:
Kittle
Andrews
Kelce
Pitts
Waller
Goedert (clearly 6th but also clearly part of this group for me)

Tier 2 (in no particular order):
Hockenson
Hunter Henry
Gesicki
Gronk (if he plays again)
Schultz
Freiermuth (probably already on this list in this tier)
Knox
Ertz

and tier 3 is basically everyone else you might possibly think about starting... guys like tyler higbee, david njoku, noah fant, evan engram etc.
Its really tough to put anyone over kelce when he has been doing it consistently every year for the last 5yrs.. andrews had 1 great yr and with the running game coming back, its likely it wont happen again.. If andrews get like 700 yards this yr people not gonna hve him top 3 anymore.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Its really tough to put anyone over kelce when he has been doing it consistently every year for the last 5yrs.. andrews had 1 great yr and with the running game coming back, its likely it wont happen again.. If andrews get like 700 yards this yr people not gonna hve him top 3 anymore.

i mean kelce had a rough year (by his standards) last year and he's older and i think it's fair to project that he might not be as good with no tyreek around

i still think he's an elite TE, just not sure he's #1 (or 2)

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
i mean kelce had a rough year (by his standards) last year and he's older and i think it's fair to project that he might not be as good with no tyreek around

Still take Heap in his prime over him all day, every day.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The big thing with Pitts is that he was productive in year 1 at a position that is historically very difficult to make an impact at that early. I'd honestly be pretty surprised if he isn't taking even further steps in the next 2-3 years that start to get people talking about one of the all-time best. Year 1 was an incredibly good showing and the tools are there to continue that grown.

Not necessarily saying you aren't saying this, but just adding some context to just how good he was. The fact that he's already in the top 5 conversation says a lot.

he's already a dynamic mismatch who without honing his craft yet is already borderline elite vs press and a legit "x" receiver (despite being a TE)

it's amazing how little NFL media is talking about him given the season he just had as a rookie - but it just shows you how few people actually watched the falcons in 2021 lol - he should be getting ja'marr chase type pop

he's a freak of nature who's already a nightmare to matchup against

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

True that.. or he could get more targets cause pat doesnt trust mvs nor tik tok boy

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
he's already a dynamic mismatch who without honing his craft yet is already borderline elite vs press and a legit "x" receiver (despite being a TE)

it's amazing how little NFL media is talking about him given the season he just had as a rookie - but it just shows you how few people actually watched the falcons in 2021 lol - he should be getting ja'marr chase type pop

That mf an animal…i think people already knew that so seeing him do it in nfl doesnt really surprise many..

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True that.. or he could get more targets cause pat doesnt trust mvs nor tik tok boy

for sure - but it's not just about targets, it's about the space that tyreek created for him also
he's still gonna be super effective and he's probably just become the number 1 target in that offence which will help him in production terms - but i think we'll see him be less efficient as a receiver moving forwards

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

BREAKING NEWS: @Davesta has decided to trade Pitts to me in our league

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

Absolutely agree with all this

Pitts sure can catch the ball. As I was thinking about the list, it occurred to me that Ridley was out for most of last season, wasn't he? That surely forced them to bump his targets, yet with a Ridley return it could either help of harm him. I would imagine that the chance of harming his numbers would be less likely, tho, as adding Ridley back to the mix should open things up for Pitts even more than last year. But if they get that homerun pass to Ridley, his chances at TD's might not increase too greatly, so I guess, there's the harm aspect. They also continue to rely heavily on Patterson. And with Matt Ryan no longer the QB, the whole thing might go to shit.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Check out this link that compares the careers of Welker and Edelman.

Did you know Welker went to 3 superbowls and lost them all? Also it looks like Welker was honestly considerably more productive than Edelman and Edelman was great.....

Welker just didn't have the playoff success that Edelman did.

Wonder who you think was the better player?

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Pitts sure can catch the ball. As I was thinking about the list, it occurred to me that Ridley was out for most of last season, wasn't he? That surely forced them to bump his targets, yet with a Ridley return it could either help of harm him. I would imagine that the chance of harming his numbers would be less likely, tho, as adding Ridley back to the mix should open things up for Pitts even more than last year. But if they get that homerun pass to Ridley, his chances at TD's might not increase too greatly, so I guess, there's the harm aspect. They also continue to rely heavily on Patterson. And with Matt Ryan no longer the QB, the whole thing might go to shit.

I'll bet you Ridleys targets decrease this year

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Did you know Welker went to 3 superbowls and lost them all? Also it looks like Welker was honestly considerably more productive than Edelman and Edelman was great.....

Hardest decision but id go with welker

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean ridley's currently indefinitely suspended...

they just drafted drake london to supplement pitts - you need more than one target in your passing offence and they now have an elite one and a future elite one (if all goes well with london)

it's a good point about no matt ryan being a big loss for pitts but i dont think he should be too worried about losing targets

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
On the flip side... if they decided to retain Ridley (at perhaps somewhat of a discount), they're loaded with playmakers at skill positions. If they can get a future QB and make some upgrades defensively in the next draft or two, this is a 2-3 year away team from perhaps being very good.

And that's in a division with a TON of question marks. Saints and Panthers are playing musical chairs with QBs, and Brady is year-to-year. In an already weak looking NFC, I don't think Atlanta is that far off from being very interesting. I don't like their QB situation at all this year, but who knows, maybe Desmond Ridder ends up at the Wilson or Dak level, and they're super competitive as soon as next year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

maybe it's recency bias but i think edelman took everything that welker did and upgraded it in that offence
welker was the blueprint, but edelman perfected it