• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Carolina I see a possible split and it's funny cause we basically have the same games I assumed they'd win outside of division. Difference is I think at best they get 1 win in South and don't see them beating the Steelers or Browns.

Also who said Baker isn't playing? The Browns have shown they give 0 fucks and I'm not shocked they don't play hardball with Baker. Make him show up and play to earn that 18 mil. I sure as hell would.

No way they let Baker play. I'd support it, but there's just no incentive for either side. Baker plays well, and suddenly you've got a mild QB controversy on your head, which is especially problematic if Watson actually does get indefinitely suspended. Now you have to start thinking about whether to bring Baker back, because you don't know if Watson gets reinstated.

I also personally wouldn't write off the Falcons beating the Browns with Baker either. I'm firmly in the camp of people who think Pittsburgh is going to struggle this year, and have a good shot at breaking Tomlin's "no losing record" streak. Trubisky is extremely pedestrian, and I don't think Pickett is anything special. That team has lots of holes.

Just out of curiosity, why would Baker ever agree to play for them? It seems like he'd be better off just to refuse. If he sits out, would he still be a Brown next year or would his contract expire? I'm not sure how that would work. Does he have any leverage not to play?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just out of curiosity, why would Baker ever agree to play for them? It seems like he'd be better off just to refuse. If he sits out, would he still be a Brown next year or would his contract expire? I'm not sure how that would work. Does he have any leverage not to play?
Well, theoretically, if the Browns wanted him to play, he was medically cleared, and he refused, they'd just suspend him, which means he doesn't get paid. Obviously that's like over $1M a game he'd be forfeiting, so that's not likely.

BUT, the Browns don't want him to play either. Both sides want resolution, just hasn't happened yet.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

I'm pretty sure he has no option. He doesn't show up and play they don't have to pay him and his rights still belong to the Browns. The only way he could manage that is some injury bullshit.

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
Sorry to read that. It is very sad but maybe his passing can hopefully be a wake up call for others to get help for their addiction or scare some from ever trying it. That fentanyl is no joke!
It really isn't I work on the weekends at a drug rehab clinic and we get people all the time who the hospital sends to us due to a fentanyl overdose. Lucky they even make it to us; it is tons stronger than other illicit substances by far. The world in general needs to get a grip on it.

So sad to hear this news about Jaylon and yes I do wish people would seek help if they have an addiction. Their are plenty of clinics like ours that want to help you.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Well, theoretically, if the Browns wanted him to play, he was medically cleared, and he refused, they'd just suspend him, which means he doesn't get paid. Obviously that's like over $1M a game he'd be forfeiting, so that's not likely.

BUT, the Browns don't want him to play either. Both sides want resolution, just hasn't happened yet.

I'm pretty sure he has no option. He doesn't show up and play they don't have to pay him and his rights still belong to the Browns. The only way he could manage that is some injury bullshit.
There was an article I read the other day that was about Watson and the arbitration that's going on about his potential suspension. Seems the NFL might have leaked or planted some info about their desire for a year's suspension or an indefinite suspension but that apparently the arbitrator was somewhere in the 6-9 game range. The feeling of the writer was that this was a very prickly sort of thing they did (...if they did it), most likely because they wanted to seem hard on "crime," so to speak, when they got wind what the punishment could be. The writer also surmised that this information would likely not sit well with the arbitrator, who could see it as bad faith. It got into the collective bargaining agreement and talked about this being the first test to the new punishment/discipline aspect of it and discussed maybe why it wasn't the NFL that leaked it. Eventually it came full circle to the idea that it almost certainly had to be the NFL but that it was bad for business.

Regarding Mayfield in all this. Professionally, he's seemingly screwed then because he wouldn't get paid if he refuses, but if he has a bad showing and he really doesn't have the support of the team, he loses when it comes to signing a lucrative FA contract.

I don't think Cleveland wants him to play either, tho. If he comes out and lights it up, what a bunch of total chumps their FO looks like then. Trading a King's ransom in draft capital for a low-life and not having the ability to see the quality in Mayfield. So I don't think they have any desire to put him on the field. If he does well, they have to keep him in.

edit: I think this was the article.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-insists-on-indefinite-suspension-for-deshaun-watson

Last edited:
Sorry to read that. It is very sad but maybe his passing can hopefully be a wake up call for others to get help for their addiction or scare some from ever trying it. That fentanyl is no joke!
These deaths should be ruled homicides. Fentanyl is poison and should be classified as such. The powers that be should declare war on that shit, but they are a bunch of gutless cowards who only care about the next election. It’s just sad.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
It really isn't I work on the weekends at a drug rehab clinic and we get people all the time who the hospital sends to us due to a fentanyl overdose. Lucky they even make it to us; it is tons stronger than other illicit substances by far. The world in general needs to get a grip on it.

So sad to hear this news about Jaylon and yes I do wish people would seek help if they have an addiction. Their are plenty of clinics like ours that want to help you.
Thank you for all you do to help these people addicted to these drugs.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Possible. I'm just not sold they're actually bad enough to lose a lot of games. Like they're a 6-7 win team to me. That's not good, but also not bad enough to probably be picking like top 3-4 I don't think.

Doesn't mean they can't move up, but they were a 7-10 team last year, and I think they'll be just about in the same place this year. I don't think there's a gigantic drop off from Ryan to whoever they start.
If they can win 7 games this yr… thats impressive for them

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
These deaths should be ruled homicides. Fentanyl is poison and should be classified as such. The powers that be should declare war on that shit, but they are a bunch of gutless cowards who only care about the next election. It’s just sad.
I hear so much more Fentanyl is coming over the border, since it was loosened up by the current administration, that it is just out of control.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Maybe. All assuming they're healthy and other teams are too. Can they beat the Ravens if Lamar isn't playing that week? Absolutely, as can pretty much any other team. All depends on how it shakes out.

Point being that team was written off last year and they still won 7 games. If a top 5 pick is what they're seeking, they probably need to be in the 4-5 win group.
Yea just looked at their schedule and i dnt think they win 7

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well the war on drugs has been the biggest failure in American history so that might not be a great idea
I agree but there has to be some individual responsibility too. Jaylon was a pro athlete. You are responsible for what goes into your body.

That being said , it was probably the fentanyl not the coke that killed him. Its my understanding that most of the fentanyl comes from China.

Maybe China has a plan. Hmmmmmm.