• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
On the flip side... if they decided to retain Ridley (at perhaps somewhat of a discount), they're loaded with playmakers at skill positions. If they can get a future QB and make some upgrades defensively in the next draft or two, this is a 2-3 year away team from perhaps being very good.

And that's in a division with a TON of question marks. Saints and Panthers are playing musical chairs with QBs, and Brady is year-to-year. In an already weak looking NFC, I don't think Atlanta is that far off from being very interesting. I don't like their QB situation at all this year, but who knows, maybe Desmond Ridder ends up at the Wilson or Dak level, and they're super competitive as soon as next year.

or they lose a lot of games and are in prime position to take a QB high in a seemingly loaded 2023 draft class with weapons already in place

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
or they lose a lot of games and are in prime position to take a QB high in a seemingly loaded 2023 draft class with weapons already in place
Possible. I'm just not sold they're actually bad enough to lose a lot of games. Like they're a 6-7 win team to me. That's not good, but also not bad enough to probably be picking like top 3-4 I don't think.

Doesn't mean they can't move up, but they were a 7-10 team last year, and I think they'll be just about in the same place this year. I don't think there's a gigantic drop off from Ryan to whoever they start.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Check out this link that compares the careers of Welker and Edelman.

Did you know Welker went to 3 superbowls and lost them all? Also it looks like Welker was honestly considerably more productive than Edelman and Edelman was great.....

Welker just didn't have the playoff success that Edelman did.

Wonder who you think was the better player?
I’m taking Edelman. Welker was an extremely productive slot receiver with all the short catch and runs for first down, and he was lethal in the red zone with his zigs and quick outs, but Edelman did a lot of the same and he did it with a major chip on his shoulder and he didn’t shrink in big moments like Edelman, he played bigger in big moments, he was probably the toughest receiver in the league in his prime and he played X receiver a lot more than welker and wasn’t schemed nearly as much as welker and the patriots placed a bigger emphasis on running the ball when Edelman was there, while they used welker and his short game as a substitute for a nonexistent run game.

TLDR: welker was far more productive and a lot of it was due to scheme and necessity, Edelman had a lot to do with their super bowl wins and welker had a lot to do with some losses.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Possible. I'm just not sold they're actually bad enough to lose a lot of games. Like they're a 6-7 win team to me. That's not good, but also not bad enough to probably be picking like top 3-4 I don't think.

Doesn't mean they can't move up, but they were a 7-10 team last year, and I think they'll be just about in the same place this year. I don't think there's a gigantic drop off from Ryan to whoever they start.
Looking at their schedule I could make a case for them topping out at 5-6 wins. 4 looks realistic but the NFL always has some games that go sideways/ teams that over or underachieve. They very well could be drafting top 5 this year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Looking at their schedule I could make a case for them topping out at 5-6 wins. 4 looks realistic but the NFL always has some games that go sideways/ teams that over or underachieve. They very well could be drafting top 5 this year.
I mean, they could easily split with Carolina and New Orleans.
They play Seattle early, they play the Browns early (basically they get Brissett instead of Watson), they play Chicago at home, they play Washington, and they play Pittsburgh at home. I see no reason why they couldn't beat all of those teams.

That's 7 wins there. They won't win all of those games, but they also won't lose every game they're supposed to lose either.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I’m taking Edelman. Welker was an extremely productive slot receiver with all the short catch and runs for first down, and he was lethal in the red zone with his zigs and quick outs, but Edelman did a lot of the same and he did it with a major chip on his shoulder and he didn’t shrink in big moments like Edelman, he played bigger in big moments, he was probably the toughest receiver in the league in his prime and he played X receiver a lot more than welker and wasn’t schemed nearly as much as welker and the patriots placed a bigger emphasis on running the ball when Edelman was there, while they used welker and his short game as a substitute for a nonexistent run game.

TLDR: welker was far more productive and a lot of it was due to scheme and necessity, Edelman had a lot to do with their super bowl wins and welker had a lot to do with some losses.
They were both great, but I agree. How Edelman played in the playoffs has a lot to do with their wins and the opposite for Welker.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
They play Seattle early, they play the Browns early (basically they get Brissett instead of Watson), they play Chicago at home, they play Washington, and they play Pittsburgh at home. I see no reason why they couldn't beat all of those teams.

That's 7 wins there. They won't win all of those games, but they also won't lose every game they're supposed to lose either.
Carolina I see a possible split and it's funny cause we basically have the same games I assumed they'd win outside of division. Difference is I think at best they get 1 win in South and don't see them beating the Steelers or Browns.

Also who said Baker isn't playing? The Browns have shown they give 0 fucks and I'm not shocked they don't play hardball with Baker. Make him show up and play to earn that 18 mil. I sure as hell would.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Carolina I see a possible split and it's funny cause we basically have the same games I assumed they'd win outside of division. Difference is I think at best they get 1 win in South and don't see them beating the Steelers or Browns.

Also who said Baker isn't playing? The Browns have shown they give 0 fucks and I'm not shocked they don't play hardball with Baker. Make him show up and play to earn that 18 mil. I sure as hell would.
No way they let Baker play. I'd support it, but there's just no incentive for either side. Baker plays well, and suddenly you've got a mild QB controversy on your head, which is especially problematic if Watson actually does get indefinitely suspended. Now you have to start thinking about whether to bring Baker back, because you don't know if Watson gets reinstated.

I also personally wouldn't write off the Falcons beating the Browns with Baker either. I'm firmly in the camp of people who think Pittsburgh is going to struggle this year, and have a good shot at breaking Tomlin's "no losing record" streak. Trubisky is extremely pedestrian, and I don't think Pickett is anything special. That team has lots of holes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

imo, I believe 7 is the maximum

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah good problems, like how much do we ask in a trade
Goes both ways though.
If he plays good, isn't your team winning? So now you're trading him while you're winning? How long is Watson suspended for? That matters.
If he plays poorly, you're destroying any and all trade value you have for him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
imo, I believe 7 is the maximum
Maybe. All assuming they're healthy and other teams are too. Can they beat the Ravens if Lamar isn't playing that week? Absolutely, as can pretty much any other team. All depends on how it shakes out.

Point being that team was written off last year and they still won 7 games. If a top 5 pick is what they're seeking, they probably need to be in the 4-5 win group.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
No way they let Baker play. I'd support it, but there's just no incentive for either side. Baker plays well, and suddenly you've got a mild QB controversy on your head, which is especially problematic if Watson actually does get indefinitely suspended. Now you have to start thinking about whether to bring Baker back, because you don't know if Watson gets reinstated.

I also personally wouldn't write off the Falcons beating the Browns with Baker either. I'm firmly in the camp of people who think Pittsburgh is going to struggle this year, and have a good shot at breaking Tomlin's "no losing record" streak. Trubisky is extremely pedestrian, and I don't think Pickett is anything special. That team has lots of holes.

Oh, I think Pitt struggles as well, but I think they'll be good enough to beat the Falcons with their defense.
Ridley is suspended, so yes his targets will decrease this year.
I'm more mad only @rossihunter2 seemed to get my I'll bet joke. I know he's suspended. For gambling.

Yeah good problems, like how much do we ask in a trade
I think we're on the same page here.

If Baker plays bad you look like you were right to move on. If he plays well, you win games hoping Watson comes back and know you're not obligated to play Baker after. That boosts Mayfield's trade value and hope he gets a decent deal to get a comp pick that is most likely better than the BS teams are offering you now. The incentive if I'm the Browns is backing him into a corner to earn the money we're basically stuck paying you anyway, but I'm stubborn and petty...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh, I think Pitt struggles as well, but I think they'll be good enough to beat the Falcons with their defense.

I'm more mad only @rossihunter2 seemed to get my I'll bet joke. I know he's suspended. For gambling.

I think we're on the same page here.

If Baker plays bad you look like you were right to move on. If he plays well, you win games hoping Watson comes back and know you're not obligated to play Baker after. That boosts Mayfield's trade value and hope he gets a decent deal to get a comp pick that is most likely better than the BS teams are offering you now. The incentive if I'm the Browns is backing him into a corner to earn the money we're basically stuck paying you anyway, but I'm stubborn and petty...
Right, but again, if he's playing well, you can only trade him mid-season. Can't wait until the offseason, because he's not under contract then.
So if he's playing well, there's a good chance you're winning games, in which case you're now trading away a starting QB on a winning team, mid-season, basically with the intention of losing games this year. And I doubt anybody is giving up much better than the comp pick you're already seeking.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Goes both ways though.
If he plays good, isn't your team winning? So now you're trading him while you're winning? How long is Watson suspended for? That matters.
If he plays poorly, you're destroying any and all trade value you have for him.
Good point, watsons suspension will likely roll past the trade deadline which really throws a wrench into that

JAAM

Hall of Famer