• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think that people are forgetting that this isn't like Brady/Elliott. Nobody is actually asserting that Watson is "innocent" or that the process itself was "unfair" - just that the unprecedented suspension shouldn't be longer than every other suspension for horrible things players have done. I'm not convinced the NFLPA files suit against the NFL because (a) Weeks 1-6 are already locked in for the suspension and (b) I doubt the NFL extends the suspension to more than 12 games - to preserve that Texans-Browns Week 13 matchup. An appeal just drags it out and Watson wouldn't have anything to gain since he'll still be suspended during the time the appeal is probably being decided anyway. The personal conduct policy is super broad and gives the NFL pretty much unlimited power to suspend players as they see fit, but like you said - the NFLPA agreed to the policy and procedure, so I'm not sure what argument they'd make in court.
Just FYI, the basis for the 12 game estimate is that they DON'T want the Texans/Browns game to happen with Watson playing. Watson would be back week 14, not week 13. He has to sit the bye week too, since its a 12 game suspension and not a 12 week suspension. 12 game suspension puts him back for weeks 14-18, playing five games.

It's a bit of a conspiracy theorist thought process, but 12 makes at least a little sense.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Just FYI, the basis for the 12 game estimate is that they DON'T want the Texans/Browns game to happen with Watson playing. Watson would be back week 14, not week 13. He has to sit the bye week too, since its a 12 game suspension and not a 12 week suspension. 12 game suspension puts him back for weeks 14-18, playing five games.

It's a bit of a conspiracy theorist thought process, but 12 makes at least a little sense.

I don't get why they'd want him out of the Texans game. To rob him of the satisfaction of crushing them? To keep him geographically away from his accusers in Houston? To avoid the allegations being the narrative for that entire week? (which it will be either way)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't get why they'd want him out of the Texans game. To rob him of the satisfaction of crushing them? To keep him geographically away from his accusers in Houston? To avoid the allegations being the narrative for that entire week? (which it will be either way)
Pretty much the latter. Game is in Houston so they probably just don't want to hear the boos for the first game back I guess.
I think it would be good TV but I imagine the signs or chants in Houston may be less than pleasant.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The funniest part of all this is our president and vp who have had MANY locked up for similar offenses say she is being wrongfully detained. And I don't care if they keep her. No one watches the WNBA anyway...
I dnt think anyone got 9yrs for having less than a gram of weed. They dnt even get that by accidentally having a gun in their luggage

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean if it was an accident it dnt matter if she knew the laws or not
No, but it also doesn't matter if it's an accident or not in most countries.
9 years is harsh, but that's kind of how it works when you decide to live your life in a country that's notoriously harsh on criminals and Americans.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dnt think anyone got 9yrs for having less than a gram of weed. They dnt even get that by accidentally having a gun in their luggage
In America, that's true. In other countries, I'm sure you'll get many years in prison, if not executed, for even accidentally having a gun.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fuck this watson shit… free brittany griner
Griner is an idiot and so is anyone else traveling to Russia. I’d rather not swap a dangerous criminal for an entitled and clearly stupid basketball player

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Griner is an idiot and so is anyone else traveling to Russia. I’d rather not swap a dangerous criminal for an entitled and clearly stupid basketball player
I'm only mildly sympathetic (and its very mild) due to the fact that she's getting a very harsh sentence for a crime that shouldn't be a crime anywhere. If she had like stolen a handbag or something, I'd be 100% OK with them giving her like a decade in prison.

In this case, I'd let her stay in jail for six months to a year before I trade for her. We've going to have to give up an actual criminal in order to get her back, so there's got to be tangible consequences for the bind she put herself and the Country in. Depending on who we have to release, you're talking about other people potentially dying so that she can come back home. At some point, people need to objectively assess whether her freedom is worth that much.