• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone think we're relying on rookies more heavily this year than most years prior?

Hamilton has been a day 1 50% snaps guy
Linderbaum has been day 1 full time starter
Ojabo is desperately needed
Jones is about to be the full time NT
Stout is the punter
Faalele may be the starting LT this weekend
Likely has a role in the offense
JAD and Pepe have roles on defense
Kolar has been hurt
Badie is on the PS.
Honestly this is what we need. Rookies making a meaningful impact.

I've conceded on Lamar's contract situation. Meaning we need our draft picks and UDFA to play a larger role when we lose the ability to compete in the FA market.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

I've conceded on Lamar's contract situation. Meaning we need our draft picks and UDFA to play a larger role when we lose the ability to compete in the FA market.
Yeah agreed. Fortunately this looks to be a super strong class.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone think we're relying on rookies more heavily this year than most years prior?

Stout is the punter
Kolar has been hurt
Badie is on the PS.
Well, couple things here:
1. I could make a case as a first rounder that Hamilton only playing 50% is kind of low. 4-5 months ago we were talking about how inevitable it was we were trading Clark, and if we did, Hamilton's playing like 90%+ of snaps. Maybe all of them.
2. Some of these guys are getting those roles because of injuries. Like Jones is a rotational piece anyway, because most Dline are, but he'll play more snaps now because Pierce is out for the year.
Same with Faalele. I have no doubt the Ravens secretly "hoped" he wouldn't play a single snap on offense this year. But when Stanley isn't back and both of the LT's in front of him end up with injuries, you got no choice.
For JAD and Pepe, assuming full health from everybody else, they were like the 5th and 6th corners entering the year. Marlon, Peters, Fuller and likely Stephens were going to play ahead of both.

Obviously Linderbaum and Stout's roles aren't surprising. They were plug and play starters, playing every snap available to them, from the day they were drafted.

So I think for some of these guys its a product of injuries to players ahead of them on the depth chart. Though I do advocate for more youth on defense, especially up front and in the secondary, so happy to see younger guys playing sooner.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Stout is the punter
Kolar has been hurt
Badie is on the PS.
This is expected when you consistently draft well, it’s cyclical. You draft well>you sign your homegrown talent>you have no money for FA spending>you trade your “good not great” players for draft picks because you’re cap strapped>you draft contributing rookies because, well, it’s what you do, and the cycle goes on.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well, couple things here:
1. I could make a case as a first rounder that Hamilton only playing 50% is kind of low. 4-5 months ago we were talking about how inevitable it was we were trading Clark, and if we did, Hamilton's playing like 90%+ of snaps. Maybe all of them.
2. Some of these guys are getting those roles because of injuries. Like Jones is a rotational piece anyway, because most Dline are, but he'll play more snaps now because Pierce is out for the year.
Same with Faalele. I have no doubt the Ravens secretly "hoped" he wouldn't play a single snap on offense this year. But when Stanley isn't back and both of the LT's in front of him end up with injuries, you got no choice.
For JAD and Pepe, assuming full health from everybody else, they were like the 5th and 6th corners entering the year. Marlon, Peters, Fuller and likely Stephens were going to play ahead of both.

Obviously Linderbaum and Stout's roles aren't surprising. They were plug and play starters, playing every snap available to them, from the day they were drafted.

So I think for some of these guys its a product of injuries to players ahead of them on the depth chart. Though I do advocate for more youth on defense, especially up front and in the secondary, so happy to see younger guys playing sooner.
I don't disagree with anything you said, but that wasn't my point. No matter the reason (which you point out exactly correctly) we find ourselves relying on rookies more than is usual it seems. There are a lot of years where our mid and later round picks get a countable number snaps the whole year. Here because of injuries and positional need we find this class participating quite a lot

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is expected when you consistently draft well, it’s cyclical. You draft well>you sign your homegrown talent>you have no money for FA spending>you trade your “good not great” players for draft picks because you’re cap strapped>you draft contributing rookies because, well, it’s what you do, and the cycle goes on.
Yep! And injuries have accelerated some timelines

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Rex getting some shit from our fan base but I love the dude. Idc how much dumb stuff he says on TV to purposely cause a reaction(that's what he gets paid for). He had some of the funniest one liners and speeches. He could also motivate a room like none other. Would have won a SB in NYC if it wasn't for Mark Sanchez.

"Last year, hey we were under the radar that's a good place to be? F*** that. We know we're better than you, we don't give a F**** if you know it or not, we don't give a S*** if you give us you're best game, we're gonna give you our best game, and we're gonna beat the F*** out of you. How's that? Let's go get it."

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Coach Joke McDaniel could be fired if it comes out that Tua had a concussion prior to this one. Wonder how many nerdy jokes he would crack then

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Stout is the punter
Kolar has been hurt
Badie is on the PS.

to me that's probably a reflection of a roster that's less deep than it has been in prior years (generally), has a bunch of players injured and has just had a phenomenal draft class (the 2018 group) finish their rookie deals with underwhelming 2019 and 2020 classes not replacing them adequately

also we picked a lot of guys in the 2022 class

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Stout is the punter
Kolar has been hurt
Badie is on the PS.

First round picks are supposed to be thrown in the fire unless it's a position of strength or you want them sitting(qb). Have no problem with it and we might have to get used to it after Lamar is paid. Draft will have to be productive and some of these guys are being forced in due to injury. Nothing we can do about that. It's funny because earlier in Harbaugh's tenure it felt like a rookie had to show they had all pro potential and passed a secret service background check before they would see the field.

Have to give the young guys their shot if they're competing.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
First round picks are supposed to be thrown in the fire unless it's a position of strength or you want them sitting(qb). Have no problem with it and we might have to get used to it after Lamar is paid. Draft will have to be productive and some of these guys are being forced in due to injury. Nothing we can do about that. It's funny because earlier in Harbaugh's tenure it felt like a rookie had to show they had all pro potential and passed a secret service background check before they would see the field.

Have to give the young guys their shot if they're competing.
Lamar getting paid is why EDC wants a lot of draft picks and has had a lot of draft picks over the last two years.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar getting paid is why EDC wants a lot of draft picks and has had a lot of draft picks over the last two years.

That have largely looked mediocre at best.

Oh wait, I’m supposed to provide an essay analysis on why I said that…/

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Coach Joke McDaniel could be fired if it comes out that Tua had a concussion prior to this one. Wonder how many nerdy jokes he would crack then
Ehh, why would you fire the coach for that? Only way he would get fired or even be held accountable is if he like convinced the medical staff to clear him, or if he circumvented their recommendations.

To this point, the only people I'm questioning is the medical staff that cleared him to come back into the game last week, and the same staff that cleared him for Thursday. That's literally their job. If they did their job, and he passed the protocol, so be it. The NFL, the NFLPA, and frankly fans, have no choice but to live with that. If they didn't follow protocol and passed him too quickly, fire the medical staff that did it and probably sue them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That have largely looked mediocre at best.

Oh wait, I’m supposed to provide an essay analysis on why I said that…/
that's your opinion, but it does take 3 years to truly evaluate a draft class. On average 2 starters out of a draft class is considered the average, if you hit on 3 starters and if the others are good role players you are doing very well.

2019 -- Hollywood Brown and Ben Powers have been starters, the rest was a wash
2020 -- Patrick Queen has improved but still should be better. JK Dobbins, Madubuike and Duvernay are good to very good starters, with Madubuike being the best from this class. Role players in Broderick Washington, James Proche and Geno Stone look good also. Harrison looks better this year also.
2021 -- Bateman, Oweh and your star player Ben Cleveland, along with a pretty good role player in B. Stephens
2022 -- i'm not even going to list because he looks like it's going to be a tremendous draft class imo.

This is far from mediocre so yes. If you don't want to say why you think it is mediocre, that is your choice, but it just shows how much you are just trying to stir the pot.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Says the shit poster
this is uncalled for Sizzle. If you want to remain on the board, you need to stop these stupid posts.

btw, weren't you banned from RSR? It's a question, because i remember you asking me to post something on that board for you.

Last edited: