• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don’t see how I’m a troll for not being able to provide in depth analysis on my different perspectives. You’re right. I’m not a damn troll. I don’t hijack threads or spam the board simply because I disagree with the status quos here. Am I clueless when it comes to nitty gritty, defend your stance beyond the eyeball test? Yes. But that doesn’t make me a damn troll no matter how badly certain people here want to make me look like one
Tbf I don’t think you’re a troll at all. I just get pretty bothered with the way you’ll obsess over a weak performance every week, you’ll go from hamilton to harbaugh to Lamar in 3 weeks, you’ll flood the boards with crazy kneejerk takes and they might come off like a troll to some. Like you’ll see a mental lapse or two and you’ll start talking about bust/overrated/expendable and obsess over it until the next guy fucks up and gives you something new to freak out about.

I’m not a huge believer in the ignore button because it makes the boards super confusing when frequent posters are ignored, which is my problem I guess, you just be drawing me into topics with conviction the way you overreact lol.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think there's a bit of the protective dad-thing going on here. ^_^

I don't think there's anything to read into Harbaugh's comments. It's probably "topic" exhaustion because since Lamar is not signed, it's the only thing the press wants to talk about given his start. But your comments about Haslem and the Browns are on point with me. That signing was calculated imo. Some don't like the conspiracy theory feel it might have, but I really do think that they knew and calculated the Watson signing to do exactly what happened: disrupt the QB market league-wide but most specifically in their own division where they knew there were two franchise QB's coming up for contract. There's no doubt there for me. It was part of their business model, disrupt the direct competition.
Amen. There is a lot of that protective dad-thing going on with me. I am a very perturbed father.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tbf I don’t think you’re a troll at all. I just get pretty bothered with the way you’ll obsess over a weak performance every week, you’ll go from hamilton to harbaugh to Lamar in 3 weeks, you’ll flood the boards with crazy kneejerk takes and they might come off like a troll to some. Like you’ll see a mental lapse or two and you’ll start talking about bust/overrated/expendable and obsess over it until the next guy fucks up and gives you something new to freak out about.

I’m not a huge believer in the ignore button because it makes the boards super confusing when frequent posters are ignored, which is my problem I guess, you just be drawing me into topics with conviction the way you overreact lol.

Thanks. I will do better about not overreacting.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t see how I’m a troll for not being able to provide in depth analysis on my different perspectives. You’re right. I’m not a damn troll. I don’t hijack threads or spam the board simply because I disagree with the status quos here. Am I clueless when it comes to nitty gritty, defend your stance beyond the eyeball test? Yes. But that doesn’t make me a damn troll no matter how badly certain people here want to make me look like one
Not sure what's going on here but you ARE NOT a troll. Don't change or apologize for a damn thing.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ain’t even really like that man, I was a dick myself. Just like, from man to man, take a chill pill my dude lmao.

Honestly that’s all it was ever meant to be from my end. But then I was overreacting to your posts, and I’m talking about stop overreacting lol. I’m full of shit I know

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
You are correct sir. The Browns f'd up everything. With guarantees the Browns can be seen as a ridiculous outlier but if the Ravens do it Pandora's Box is opened. If it's true that Lamar was offered a 6 yr 290 mil contract with 180 mil guaranteed to me that's a fair contract but it also averages less than others so the Ravens need to up the yearly value to over 50 mil at least. The signing bonus is what's important. F the roster bonuses and workout bonuses and shit like that and leave an out after 4 yrs in the contract for both. I'm not a capologist but something needs to be done.

And to add it's ridiculous to believe Bisciotti is worried about putting money into escrow.
The thing that affects me beyond the obvious parental distress I feel is what you rightly pointed out. The ability or lack thereof, in the ability of Bisciotti either able to or unwilling to put up that lump sum amount in escrow. My sense is it is a huge burden on the franchise to put up that kind of liquid capital. Bisciotti is a billionaire in assets and net worth, but liquidity is always an issue, considering he isn't a publicly traded company or so I think with his staffing company. On the other hand, Haslem is very cash rich given his gas station franchises all over the country. He could care less about putting into escrow a paltry 230M. It sucks because Bisciotti is an awesome owner that cares about his team.

I can only hope they are able to get past this impasse. I agree with you that the offer should have been over 300M/6 yrs with at least 200M guaranteed and maybe 100M in signing bonus. That may have gotten the deal done. However, I have become pessimistic for the reasons I cite above. It isn't about EDC, Sashi Brown, or Harbs. They absolutely want Lamar signed, but financial circumstances may have gotten in the way, and maybe even Bisciotti's unfortunate presser at the owner's meeting.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Ain’t even really like that man, I was a dick myself. Just like, from man to man, take a chill pill my dude lmao.

Honestly that’s all it was ever meant to be from my end. But then I was overreacting to your posts, and I’m talking about stop overreacting lol. I’m full of shit I know
1664630770969.png

Tank

Hall of Famer
I don't think there's anything to read into Harbaugh's comments. It's probably "topic" exhaustion because since Lamar is not signed, it's the only thing the press wants to talk about given his start. But your comments about Haslem and the Browns are on point with me. That signing was calculated imo. Some don't like the conspiracy theory feel it might have, but I really do think that they knew and calculated the Watson signing to do exactly what happened: disrupt the QB market league-wide but most specifically in their own division where they knew there were two franchise QB's coming up for contract. There's no doubt there for me. It was part of their business model, disrupt the direct competition.
yeah, such an unrealistic, franchise paralyzing move had to have an ulterior motive. Just have to hope it doesn't have the intended effect and common sense prevails.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
yeah, such an unrealistic, franchise paralyzing move had to have an ulterior motive. Just have to hope it doesn't have the intended effect and common sense prevails.

Well, that's sort of the reason they did it tho, because it wasn't franchise paralyzing to them when they did it. They had a bunch of money go out the door at the end of 2021 with about 9.5M just sitting there before anyone left. So, iirc, they had a boatload of money there to do it. Now, the numbers seem to catch up with them after next season, but they have done the damage, imo. The timing of it was perfect for complicating, specifically, our negotiations with Lamar, but, in general, they have made QB's question how much more they can get. Some argue that it was a byproduct of having to have Watson, I think it was more calculated and "sinister" than that, personally. But that's just my feeling and I don't have proof.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
...but let's not forget what the other side of that Watson deal did too: it set the price for acquiring an accomplished young QB - even one with the douchebaggery baggage of DW, very high. The draft capital that the Texans got was remarkable, considering there was no guarantee the guy was even gonna be in the league again. The thought of what a player like Lamar would bring if the contract talks really are at an impasse is mouthwatering to me - - - - - - as much as I would like to see him a Raven for life. I know some people don't believe me when I say that. ^_^ But I'm just not of the mind that we would not figure out a way to be successful without him. That's sort of the crux of my ambiguity with this whole thing: I'd be sad that he wouldn't be OUR guy anymore, but I'd be excited to see what a team like ours would do with all of that draft capital.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Well, that's sort of the reason they did it tho, because it wasn't franchise paralyzing to them when they did it. They had a bunch of money go out the door at the end of 2021 with about 9.5M just sitting there before anyone left. So, iirc, they had a boatload of money there to do it. Now, the numbers seem to catch up with them after next season, but they have done the damage, imo. The timing of it was perfect for complicating, specifically, our negotiations with Lamar, but, in general, they have made QB's question how much more they can get. Some argue that it was a byproduct of having to have Watson, I think it was more calculated and "sinister" than that, personally. But that's just my feeling and I don't have proof.
Didn’t know the specifics but do know it will catch up to them.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It's potentially crazy how much this team may be missing Bowser is particular. Queen is not good in coverage. Oweh is playing a ton of SAM and not really great at it. If you have Bowser back, we probably sure up the short area coverage considerably, Oweh goes back to RUSH. You probably get a simultaneous improvement in the passing defense and pass rush, allowing the secondary to do what they do. JPP also helps in that. Let's see how this defense evolves as Bowser, JPP, and Ojabo enter the mix.