• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ummm were you watching the game? That's a ridiculous assertion after running all over that team through the first 3 quarters.
No its not. How many points did we score? Who the fuck cares how many rushing yards you have when you score 3 points in three quarters?
Ran the ball up and down the field, yet, somehow, only managed to make it to the red zone twice. TOTAL. And that's not because we were scoring from outside the red zone either.

First time we make it to the red zone... we get stopped on 3rd and 2 and on 4th and 1... on running plays.

And for the record... we basically only got two possessions in the 4th quarter. Meaning we needed TDs on both. Not 7-8 minute drives that resulted in a FG.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don't think you go out there and attack Roman but there are plenty of ways you can say you dropped the ball without throwing illegitimate excuses in there.
I dont think it's an illegitimate excuse. I think that's exactly what Roman's decision making was on gameday. Harbs told you what happened. Not what should have happened. And even still he kinda did tell you what should've happened

Simba

Staff Member
No its not. How many points did we score? Who the fuck cares how many rushing yards you have when you score 3 points in three quarters?
Ran the ball up and down the field, yet, somehow, only managed to make it to the red zone twice. TOTAL. And that's not because we were scoring from outside the red zone either.

First time we make it to the red zone... we get stopped on 3rd and 2 and on 4th and 1... on running plays.

And for the record... we basically only got two possessions in the 4th quarter. Meaning we needed TDs on both. Not 7-8 minute drives that resulted in a FG.
I'm not saying you need to go out there and run the ball down their throats on every play but passing the ball was not getting us downfield no matter what. I'm not talking about the red zone. Those are separate issues entirely. You need to get to the red zone to fail there. We weren't getting there with the ball in Huntley's hands and that's a huge misstep. Stop being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wrong. Reason why they’re calling for him to be fired is because we threw so much the ENTIRE game when the run was working amazingly well the ENTIRE game, Sherlock. Anyone with a semblance of common sense would’ve stuck to the run game
If it was working really well, then why did we only score 3 points doing it?

Simba

Staff Member
I dont think it's an illegitimate excuse. I think that's exactly what Roman's decision making was on gameday. Harbs told you what happened. Not what should have happened. And even still he kinda did tell you what should've happened
I don't know. I guess I'm pro accountability. Just own up to the mistake and move on.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was going to bring this up earlier.
Keep in mind that a) the NFL just fired a shot across the bow at Owners, telling them they're pissing away too much $ by constantly hiring and firing these guys and not giving them long enough runway and b) a lot of you fans are out here complaining about how cheap the Ravens are and that they won't pay Lamar because of it. And in the middle of that cheapness, you think Steve's going to fire a whole bunch of people under long term contracts AND pay a ridiculous amount to get Payton to coach here?

Lol, good luck with that reconciliation.

Also I literally have no fucking clue why any person on the planet would actually think he's going to go to a podium today and announce he's firing Roman.
Owners aren't gonna give a damn about the coaching dead money. At least not most. That's their money, and it's a drop in the bucket for many owners. If the Ravens owner genuinely believes firing Harbaugh and getting Payton gets us a SB he'll do it. The merch sales and ticket sales a lone would pay that off for him.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It's funny everyone is fixated on a different part of the presser. For me the very last question snuck in at the end is the most damning. Both 4th down passing plays were drawn up for Proche.

THAT'S A BAD IDEA

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh today... really said some stupid stuff. Ravens Reddit has already posted what he has said. He needs to go... he's worn out his welcome. This was a real quote from Harbaugh: “All of our coaches included Greg and everybody else are fully capable of understanding the pass scheme and what we’ve go to do to get it done and scheming it up and all that kind of stuff” CLEARLY JOHN, THEY ARE NOT CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THE PASS SCHEME.

Mf really dying on this Roman hill huh? Willing to bet the injuries (especially to Lamar) will be enough of an excuse not to fire him in the off-season either

I'm not saying you need to go out there and run the ball down their throats on every play but passing the ball was not getting us downfield no matter what. I'm not talking about the red zone. Those are separate issues entirely. You need to get to the red zone to fail there. We weren't getting there with the ball in Huntley's hands and that's a huge misstep. Stop being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

Exactly what I just said. Atleast we were getting to the RZ and that gave us a better chance of scoring then Huntley throwing and not getting there at all.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree... you need to get to the red zone. Show me where running the ball gets us to the red zone? It didn't do that for the first three quarters, so what was going to occur in the 4th that would be different?
And in actuality, you don't need to just get in the red zone. You need to get there, you need to get there pretty damn quick, and you need to actually score at least one TD.
And I agree Huntley wasn't going to do that. And I knew for damn sure the running game wasn't going to do that either, because we would have spent 3-4 minutes alone fucking around in the red zone getting three yards and a cloud of dust like we've been doing most of the season in the red zone.
So yeah, we were fucked regardless. Hence why I said score more points earlier, and hence why I said I couldn't give a shit less if we ran the ball more in the 4th.
The best argument I've seen so far is "well it makes us look less pathetic" and "well we didn't score at all early, but it was just going to click and start working right at the end". Yeah... no, it wasn't.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Exactly what I just said. Atleast we were getting to the RZ and that gave us a better chance of scoring then Huntley throwing and not getting there at all.
But we really weren't. Two red zone trips in a game is pathetic. And the run game failed when you needed it in the red zone.
So what are we doing, exactly, beyond driving down field to get close to scoring, and then not score?

Is there like some sort of morality trophy being passed around that I don't know about?

Simba

Staff Member
Especially when we were playing the short game even in the passing game. There was rarely an attempt to even get the ball more than 10 yards downfield. If all you're going to call in the passing game is 4-5 yard hitches, you might as well just let the RBs that were averaging significantly more than that for carry try to get it. But I don't know, that isn't apparent to some somehow...

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly, if Horribaugh had fired Roman today, what would have changed?
When the season ends do you expect him to hire an adequate OC and not a *** or Trestman type of OC?
I believe we will only see something new if he retires.

Simba

Staff Member
I agree... you need to get to the red zone. Show me where running the ball gets us to the red zone? It didn't do that for the first three quarters, so what was going to occur in the 4th that would be different?
And in actuality, you don't need to just get in the red zone. You need to get there, you need to get there pretty damn quick, and you need to actually score at least one TD.
And I agree Huntley wasn't going to do that. And I knew for damn sure the running game wasn't going to do that either, because we would have spent 3-4 minutes alone fucking around in the red zone getting three yards and a cloud of dust like we've been doing most of the season in the red zone.
So yeah, we were fucked regardless. Hence why I said score more points earlier, and hence why I said I couldn't give a shit less if we ran the ball more in the 4th.
The best argument I've seen so far is "well it makes us look less pathetic" and "well we didn't score at all early, but it was just going to click and start working right at the end". Yeah... no, it wasn't.
It might not but I'm gonna hedge my bets on the significantly more productive phase of the offense in that game and try to ride on their coattails. Would be saying the same if we were trying to ice a game and the running game wasn't working... go to the passing offense and accept the potential of a stopped clock if it gets you some first downs. That's the archaic line of thinking I'm questioning - that you have to run in certain situations and pass in certain situations. Just do what fucking works.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
This might be the first time I’ve ever seen the majority of Ravens fans (across social media) just flat out done with Harbaugh lol. Usually you see some devil’s advocates but man, they’re really hard to find nowadays. Sucks because I do like Harbs but this situation has gotten so ridiculous

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Owners aren't gonna give a damn about the coaching dead money. At least not most. That's their money, and it's a drop in the bucket for many owners. If the Ravens owner genuinely believes firing Harbaugh and getting Payton gets us a SB he'll do it. The merch sales and ticket sales a lone would pay that off for him.
Ehh, I'm not buying the latter. For starters, people don't buy merch for coaches. They buy it for players. You want merch sales... draft people like Lamar. They sell merch.

Ticket sales really can't increase unless they increase price, and that's not really easy to do necessarily. Ravens are already selling through practically all of their home game tickets most years, so its not like they can boost volume without adding more seats.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It might not but I'm gonna hedge my bets on the significantly more productive phase of the offense in that game and try to ride on their coattails. Would be saying the same if we were trying to ice a game and the running game wasn't working... go to the passing offense and accept the potential of a stopped clock if it gets you some first downs. That's the archaic line of thinking I'm questioning - that you have to run in certain situations and pass in certain situations. Just do what fucking works.
I mean OK, but if the objective is to score points, none of it worked. So its a moot argument to me.

I'd rather see Huntley try to drive down the field with urgency, since I've seen him to do that somewhat successfully in prior games in his career.