• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Simba

Staff Member
The one thing that peeved me about the presser today is the archaic thought process from Harbaugh. Says we abandoned the run because that takes more time off of the clock and we needed to score twice. Can't fathom how he was watching his anemic passing attack and thought the best chance of winning was to pay attention to the clock and not the yardage differential between the two phases...

O no, I can assure you that there are people on here who very, very, very much actually thought this was going to happen, and are legitimately surprised that it didn't.

And I have no fucking clue how that thought process occurred. I understand how you WANT it to occur, but thinking that it's actually going to happen now is sheer lunacy to me.
Well it happened before with Cam Cameron after a much closer loss with a similar record. Was not likely to happen but also not impossible.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We're going to be 1 and done again this year. Roman most likely will be gone and Harbaugh will get another shot with a new OC. If we don't make the playoffs next year his ass needs to go. Arrogant and stubborn A hole. Justin took more accountability than this @*#^&@&

So pissed off right now.
Well if we can hang onto the 5 seed, I'd take us over anybody that comes out of the AFC South. That includes Jacksonville too.

After that all bets are off.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well it happened before with Cam Cameron after a much closer loss with a similar record. Was not likely to happen but also not impossible.
Yup. Also happened with Marty. Didn't do anything.
Also not sure firing your OC after a bad loss with a backup QB is really "strong leadership skills".

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The one thing that peeved me about the presser today is the archaic thought process from Harbaugh. Says we abandoned the run because that takes more time off of the clock and we needed to score twice. Can't fathom how he was watching his anemic passing attack and thought the best chance of winning was to pay attention to the clock and not the yardage differential between the two phases...
I mean... he's not wrong about that though. I mean we can talk about how dominant the running game was, and I agree with that assessment, but end of day, were we scoring points, or were we just moving the ball down the field at a slow pace and then stalling when running the ball gets harder (i.e. in the red zone, where defenses are compressed)? End of day, its same problems for most of the year... moving ball isn't really that hard. It's finishing drives and scoring points (or TDs). We didn't do that running the ball either.

I don't think like one carry between Gus and JK is acceptable in the 4th quarter, but its pretty obvious that once you're down 2 scores in the 4th, running the ball 60-70% of the time ain't going to translate into wins. You're going to have to throw it.
We just couldn't do that well at all, and so we lost.

For me, you want to put your team in a position to run the ball more in the 4th? Try scoring more points in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh today... really said some stupid stuff. Ravens Reddit has already posted what he has said. He needs to go... he's worn out his welcome. This was a real quote from Harbaugh: “All of our coaches included Greg and everybody else are fully capable of understanding the pass scheme and what we’ve go to do to get it done and scheming it up and all that kind of stuff” CLEARLY JOHN, THEY ARE NOT CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THE PASS SCHEME.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean... he's not wrong about that though. I mean we can talk about how dominant the running game was, and I agree with that assessment, but end of day, were we scoring points, or were we just moving the ball down the field at a slow pace and then stalling when running the ball gets harder (i.e. in the red zone, where defenses are compressed)? End of day, its same problems for most of the year... moving ball isn't really that hard. It's finishing drives and scoring points (or TDs). We didn't do that running the ball either.

I don't think like one carry between Gus and JK is acceptable in the 4th quarter, but its pretty obvious that once you're down 2 scores in the 4th, running the ball 60-70% of the time ain't going to translate into wins. You're going to have to throw it.
We just couldn't do that well at all, and so we lost.
I think there's some merit to the thought process, but anyone watching that game could tell you throwing the ball wasn't getting us down the field and in a position to win.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Maybe I'll be in the minority on this one but here it goes. The Media were extremely obnoxious borderline straight up rude and Harbs was actually a little less vanilla today kind of showing that those questions were irritating.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think there's some merit to the thought process, but anyone watching that game could tell you throwing the ball wasn't getting us down the field and in a position to win.
OK, but anybody watching the same game could tell you running the ball wasn't getting us down the field and in a position to win either. And running takes more time off the clock than throwing, which isn't ideal when you're playing from behind and need possessions.

Yup. Also happened with Marty. Didn't do anything.
Also not sure firing your OC after a bad loss with a backup QB is really "strong leadership skills".
Well they did go and win a SB after Can got fired, sure maybe they would have won anyway. No one would suggest GRo be fired for poor QB play from his backup lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe I'll be in the minority on this one but here it goes. The Media were extremely obnoxious borderline straight up rude and Harbs was actually a little less vanilla today kind of showing that those questions were irritating.
The media always sucks. This is nothing new. They're goating coaches into saying something that will help them sell stories in a nearly-dead industry. It's a waste of everyone's time.

Simba

Staff Member
OK, but anybody watching the same game could tell you running the ball wasn't getting us down the field and in a position to win either. And running takes more time off the clock than throwing, which isn't ideal when you're playing from behind and need possessions.
Ummm were you watching the game? That's a ridiculous assertion after running all over that team through the first 3 quarters.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well they did go and win a SB after Can got fired, sure maybe they would have won anyway. No one would suggest GRo be fired for poor QB play from his backup lol
OK but we're calling for him to be fired today, and its because we scored 3 points and Roman threw it too much.
The last part for me I chuckle at too.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

True but the run game is suppseo to open up the passing game and I can understand The Ravens having trust in Huntley in the passing game to make the right decisions. Seem like Roman may have over through somethings but J can understand The Ravens reasons for passing the ball to save some time on the clock

Simba

Staff Member
True but the run game is suppseo to open up the passing game and I can understand The Ravens having trust in Huntley in the passing game to make the right decisions. Seem like Roman may have over through somethings but J can understand The Ravens reasons for passing the ball to save some time on the clock
After watching Huntley take dumb sacks when he could have thrown the ball away, and not be able to hit anything to the sidelines with any semblance of velocity... I wouldn't have put the onus on him.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK but we're calling for him to be fired today, and its because we scored 3 points and Roman threw it too much.
The last part for me I chuckle at too.

Wrong. Reason why they’re calling for him to be fired is because we threw so much the ENTIRE game when the run was working amazingly well the ENTIRE game, Sherlock. Anyone with a semblance of common sense would’ve stuck to the run game

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
But that's what he had to say. Probably for one because that's literally why Roman did what he did. And on top Harbaugh said he talked to Roman about having run on the first possession with 11 minutes down.

The alternative is for him to say Greg is an idiot which of course he won't

Huntleys noodle arm was barely getting the ball to wrs when he actually completed the passes. He was struggling massively so give him 30 attempts. Yeah, running takes more time off but if you know of you're actually getting to the RZ then you have a higher % of scoring.

Simba

Staff Member
But that's what he had to say. Probably for one because that's literally why Roman did what he did. And on top Harbaugh said he talked to Roman about having run on the first possession with 11 minutes down.

The alternative is for him to say Greg is an idiot which of course he won't
I don't think you go out there and attack Roman but there are plenty of ways you can say you dropped the ball without throwing illegitimate excuses in there.