• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
They should have stopped talking shit the moment the 3rd string ravens in week 18 beat them up on both sides of the ball

They really should have stopped talking shit when they were a qb sneak fumble 6, 14 pt swing from being dumped out of the playoffs on their arses by Tyler Huntley
If a Huntley-led Ravens team would've gotten the job done, the slander would've been legendary.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I mean, to be fair, the 4th quarter of that game was some of the more lopsided, horrendous officiating you'll see in an NFL game.
And if the Ravens were on the receiving end of those shit calls, all of us would be in here bitching about it.

I agree they deserve it, but its not like they don't have legitimate gripes. That officiating crew was pretty terrible at the end of that game.
Don't disagree they should have some legitimate gripes. They should. That being said, this is not the first nor last time something like that will happen. We've seen so many examples of poor officiating.

But the funny thing is they exist with this cognitive dissonance of thinking they're really good and owed a SB but never getting it. The call to the refs will only make them think this more. They're in for a rude awakening when they don't win the North next year.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bengals were lucky to be in the AFCCG. They shouldn't have even been in the Divisional game. Damn 98 yard fumble return, with blocking in the back, I might add.
Yea it’s hilarious hearing them cry now, they were very lucky the last two seasons. Burrow plays not to lose in a lot of these games, he makes the jump ball plays when they’re down and he needs a big play , but otherwise he takes a lot of sacks and won’t try to push it

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Don't disagree they should have some legitimate gripes. They should. That being said, this is not the first nor last time something like that will happen. We've seen so many examples of poor officiating.

But the funny thing is they exist with this cognitive dissonance of thinking they're really good and owed a SB but never getting it. The call to the refs will only make them think this more. They're in for a rude awakening when they don't win the North next year.
Will see. They'll be far and away the favorites. Aren't many paths to the Ravens making significant upgrades to this roster unless they can get Lamar signed. Browns and Steelers should certainly be better next year.

Question is how many players from this roster will the Bengals lose. If they decided to delay extensions for most of their guys, they can basically spend money on the Oline, draft well, and run it back and still be easily a top 2-3 team in the AFC. I think most people expect Buffalo to take a significant step back next year also.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bengals were lucky to be in the AFCCG. They shouldn't have even been in the Divisional game. Damn 98 yard fumble return, with blocking in the back, I might add.
Ehh, think we're using some purple-shaded glasses on this one.
For starters, even if the fumble doesn't happen, there's not much reason to think the Ravens are going to easily win that game. There's plenty of scenarios where even IF the Ravens score a TD instead the Bengals still win that game. And I'm certainly not taking for granted that the Ravens just automatically score a TD there even if the fumble doesn't happen.

Its pretty easy to see why Bengals fans are the way they are. They've largely owned KC when they've played them (and yesterday wasn't much different), they totally punked Buffalo in their building in the snow, when everybody thought Buffalo was built as a "bad weather team" (I seriously never understood why people thought that), and last year they were in the SB and a couple plays away from winning it.

Sure, they're like this because they haven't seen success in a long time, so they don't know how to handle it. But they've earned the right to think they're the best, because for the last two years, they're pretty much unquestionably the best team in the AFC in the last two years.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Will see. They'll be far and away the favorites. Aren't many paths to the Ravens making significant upgrades to this roster unless they can get Lamar signed. Browns and Steelers should certainly be better next year.

Question is how many players from this roster will the Bengals lose. If they decided to delay extensions for most of their guys, they can basically spend money on the Oline, draft well, and run it back and still be easily a top 2-3 team in the AFC. I think most people expect Buffalo to take a significant step back next year also.
My friend who's a Bills fan believes this as well. They are going to be losing some significant players this week, including but not limited to. Power, Saffold and Edmunds and Edmunds had a significant jump this season. Will be interesting to see what they can do this offseason and they are currently over the cap, but can make space just by glancing over their roster on overthecap.com

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
My friend who's a Bills fan believes this as well. They are going to be losing some significant players this week, including but not limited to. Power, Saffold and Edmunds and Edmunds had a significant jump this season. Will be interesting to see what they can do this offseason and they are currently over the cap, but can make space just by glancing over their roster on overthecap.com
well they have to sign Burrow tho

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
well they have to sign Burrow tho
Next year they don't. Bengals can basically sit pat and not have any major contracts. They've got a listing of UFAs they'd probably like to keep and will lose some (like Bates), but they can pretty much just draft/sign Olineman and defensive veterans in FA/draft and be good. If they want to run it back with Burrow, Chase and Higgins all being cheap, they can.

The question is whether they want to get ahead of extensions for Burrow and possibly Higgins. Higgins is a UFA after 2023, so he'll either walk for a comp pick or they'll need to commit sooner rather than later. Burrow is now extension eligible, but would still be under team control cheaply in 2024, and have the 5th year option in 2025, before you'd have to focus on franchise tag possibilities.

Chase can't be extended for another year.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This one is for @BoredMarine13. I'm gonna rank QBs to see if my Jalen Hurts is bottom 3rd actually holds up. This list implies everyone is healthy and doesn't take only 2022 into account, but also projects into how they'll play in 2023 in my mind. And the last thing is this isn't about raw stats on the paper, but rather who I think are the best QBs trying my best to "control" for the differential talent around them.

Class 1: I'm very happy with my starting QB
1) Patrick Mahomes
2) Joe Burrow
3) Lamar Jackson
4) Trevor Lawrence
5) Justin Herbert
6) Josh Allen
7) Aaron Rodgers
8) Tom Brady

Class 2: You might be able to win a SB in spite of this guy
9) Dak Prescott
10) Jared Goff
11) Kirk Cousins
12) Derek Carr
13) Tua Tagovailoa
14) Daniel Jones
15) Kyler Murray
16) Ryan Tannehill

Class 3: You're still hoping there's upside in this guy
17) Matt Stafford
18) Jalen Hurts
19) Jalen Fielda
20) Kenny Pickett
21) Mac Jones
22) Deshaun Watson
23) Russell Wilson
24) Sam Darnold

Class 4: You're obviously trying to improve at the position
25) Geno Smith
26) Jimmy Garropollo
27) Marcus Mariota
28) Matt Ryan
29) Carson Wentz
30) Andy Dalton
31) Davis Mills
32) Zach Wilson

Obviously due to injuries there were some other QBs that could possibly have been rated like Lance or Purdy or Huntley but I decided to omit them. I put Hurts at 18 which is middle of the pack not bottom 3rd. I think that's very fair.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bills will be able to create space, but their problem is they don't have a lot of talent on offense, and not a lot of easy ways to get it. They need upgrades on the Oline, they need multiple better pass catchers, and they need to figure out how to run the ball. They just used a second round pick on a RB last year who, in my opinion, isn't special, and that's in addition to a third round pick from 2019 who's now a FA (Singletary).

It's going to be a very interesting offseason in Buffalo.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

It's very possible that something along the lines of they don't sign Burrow yet and we also don't sign Lamar where it would probably be difficult for us to win the North.

If they sign and we sign, I think we win the North.

If we sign and they don't, I think we win the North.

If we do not sign and they do, it could go either way imo

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sure, they're like this because they haven't seen success in a long time, so they don't know how to handle it. But they've earned the right to think they're the best, because for the last two years, they're pretty much unquestionably the best team in the AFC in the last two years.
Another reason the loss was so sweet because they are so talented. A few breaks here and there and they could easily be back to back SB champs

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This one is for @BoredMarine13. I'm gonna rank QBs to see if my Jalen Hurts is bottom 3rd actually holds up. This list implies everyone is healthy and doesn't take only 2022 into account, but also projects into how they'll play in 2023 in my mind. And the last thing is this isn't about raw stats on the paper, but rather who I think are the best QBs trying my best to "control" for the differential talent around them.

1) Patrick Mahomes
2) Joe Burrow
3) Lamar Jackson
4) Trevor Lawrence
5) Justin Herbert
6) Josh Allen
7) Aaron Rodgers
8) Tom Brady

9) Dak Prescott
10) Jared Goff
11) Kirk Cousins
12) Derek Carr
13) Tua Tagovailoa
14) Daniel Jones
15) Kyler Murray
16) Ryan Tannehill

17) Matt Stafford
18) Jalen Hurts
19) Jalen Fielda
20) Kenny Pickett
21) Mac Jones
22) Deshaun Watson
23) Russell Wilson
24) Sam Darnold

25) Geno Smith
26) Jimmy Garropollo
27) Marcus Mariota
28) Matt Ryan
29) Carson Wentz
30) Andy Dalton
31) Davis Mills
32) Zach Wilson

Obviously due to injuries there were some other QBs that could possibly have been rated like Lance or Purdy or Huntley but I decided to omit them. I put Hurts at 18 which is middle of the pack not bottom 3rd. I think that's very fair.
So, in my opinion, this list kind of sucks.
1. Brady is not in my top 8. Brady wasn't that good this year because he just wasn't that good. It wasn't because Evans or Godwin sucked or even because his Oline was horrendous. He just routinely missed throws.
I really wouldn't have any confidence in Brady as my starting QB on any team.
2. I personally would take Hurts over every single QB in your Class 2. I also don't think Jones or Tannehill belong in that group. Watson belongs in Class 2 also. Think there's too much recency bias in what people just saw. If this were two years ago, Watson is a top 10-12 QB all day long, and maybe higher.
3. I'd put Stafford, Jimmy G, and Hurts in tier 2. You can very clearly win a SB with those QBs. We know this because they either already have won a SB, or gotten to a SB. If you can get to a SB, you can win it.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean, to be fair, the 4th quarter of that game was some of the more lopsided, horrendous officiating you'll see in an NFL game.
And if the Ravens were on the receiving end of those shit calls, all of us would be in here bitching about it.

I agree they deserve it, but its not like they don't have legitimate gripes. That officiating crew was pretty terrible at the end of that game.

it seemed like the Bengals could not do anything right. Looked like a GIFT for the Chiefs

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So, in my opinion, this list kind of sucks.
1. Brady is not in my top 8. Brady wasn't that good this year because he just wasn't that good. It wasn't because Evans or Godwin sucked or even because his Oline was horrendous. He just routinely missed throws.
I really wouldn't have any confidence in Brady as my starting QB on any team.
2. I personally would take Hurts over every single QB in your Class 2. I also don't think Jones or Tannehill belong in that group. Watson belongs in Class 2 also. Think there's too much recency bias in what people just saw. If this were two years ago, Watson is a top 10-12 QB all day long, and maybe higher.
3. I'd put Stafford, Jimmy G, and Hurts in tier 2. You can very clearly win a SB with those QBs. We know this because they either already have won a SB, or gotten to a SB. If you can get to a SB, you can win it.
Hahaha that's great that disagree. This is such a subjective and squishy subject. That being said as I look back on my list I think the criticism of Tom Brady is overwhelmingly the most fair one. He's gotta be much lower.

I still think Hurts is legitimately not a good QB so we'll disagree on that one.

Jones and Tannehill are all the way at the bottom of that tier and if you bumped them down a few spots I wouldn't be all that upset with that.

Watson I think will continue to be very average at best next year. Maybe he'll prove me wrong but I don't buy it.

I think Stafford might be totally cooked. Jimmy G is constantly being attempted to improve on and is just not that good.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

1) Patrick Mahomes
2) Joe Burrow
3) Lamar Jackson
4) Trevor Lawrence
5) Justin Herbert
6) Josh Allen
7) Aaron Rodgers
8) Tom Brady

9) Dak Prescott
10) Jared Goff
11) Kirk Cousins
12) Derek Carr
13) Tua Tagovailoa
14) Daniel Jones
15) Kyler Murray
16) Ryan Tannehill

17) Matt Stafford
18) Jalen Hurts
19) Jalen Fielda
20) Kenny Pickett
21) Mac Jones
22) Deshaun Watson
23) Russell Wilson
24) Sam Darnold

25) Geno Smith
26) Jimmy Garropollo
27) Marcus Mariota
28) Matt Ryan
29) Carson Wentz
30) Andy Dalton
31) Davis Mills
32) Zach Wilson

Hurst should be towards the top of tier 2. Same with Stafford. Brady is too high.