• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Nope. You also can't site a source saying he wants to come here, or that the Ravens are even interested in him at this point. The closest you'll get is Pacman Jones and, well, ya know, its Pacman Jones.

I don't need to cite a source for my reasoning of why I don't want Hopkins here. The same thing you're bitching at me for doing... you're doing the exact same thing. You're just not able to realize it.

Actually the reasoning for Roquan was quite different. The reasoning for Roquan was $. We didn't have the $. You tell me who paid for most of his contract last year and then tell me what my other caveats were.

Hopkins has more caveats. Not only is $ a factor, so is draft compensation.

And if you'll note, I haven't dismissed the possibility that it will happen either. I think signing OBJ makes it significantly less likely than it happens, and I don't want it to happen.
Ah so in other words, when we proclaim our desire for deandre hopkins to come here, and you respond by saying he don’t want that so it won’t happen, it’s all bitching. Why you bitching about ravens fans wanting hopkins?

Is he my only option? No other FAs or contract extensions available? We not allowed to discuss any other position groups besides WR?
If I have to pay him $15-20M on an extension, why don't I pay somebody else that who's 5-6 years younger and without injury baggage?

Who are the proven, quality pass rushers on our roster? Who are the proven, quality 2nd or 3rd corners we have on our roster?
Think maybe you want to address some of those things via FA at some point, or are we only allowed to use draft picks on those and we have to sign veteran WRs because the natives are terrified of historical failures at that position?
Nah more like WR is clearly the shittiest position on the roster by a country mile and we are desperate for a quality player there. Its not as complicated as you make it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ah so in other words, when we proclaim our desire for deandre hopkins to come here, and you respond by saying he don’t want that so it won’t happen, it’s all bitching. Why you bitching about ravens fans wanting hopkins?

Nah more like WR is clearly the shittiest position on the roster by a country mile and we are desperate for a quality player there. Its not as complicated as you make it.
lol when did I say he doesn't want it? I'd suggest you re-read what I said thoroughly and then you'll see a different conclusion. IF Lamar isn't here, IF Lamar isn't here, IF Lamar isn't here (re-read that a few more times and it'll sink in), I don't think he would want to be here.

I clearly laid out why I don't want him here. Tons of injury concerns, older, costly, and we're still just playing with one football. Not two footballs. Not three footballs. Not four footballs. One football.

I'm bitching about fans wanting Hopkins because, if we acquired him, there's a large probability fans will wake up mid season and realize "fuck, one of these guys is pissed because he's not getting the ball enough", blame everybody and anybody but themselves, and then realize we have holes elsewhere on the roster that weren't filled. And then blame EDC for things they praised him for.
Or basically just normal fan hypocrisy.

Today... I don't think WR is our shittiest position on the roster at all. Actually think you'd have a tough time making that argument entirely at this point.
1. Corner is easily the shittiest position on the roster for me today, since you have Marlon and a bunch of guys who haven't played a ton and totally unproven. Our entire CB group behind Marlon is basically the comp to Duvernay at WR. Gee, I wonder why we were in on Slay before we were in on basically any of the other receivers.
2. Our Dline, which I actually kind of like more than others, today, is heavily reliant on a 3rd rounder from last year and Pierce, who missed the whole season. With basically no depth.
3. What is there to love about our pass rush group? Houston and Campbell represented a large portion of our pass rush. Neither is on the roster, and at least one won't be returning. We have a gigantic amount of eggs in the Oweh/Ojabo basket right now, and neither of those guys has proven they can be a premier rusher.

Now you're going to tell me that we can address a lot of these in the draft, which I agree. We could also just address WR in the draft also. That would be something we could do, too.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would have preferred Hopkins over OBJ and then target a receiver in the draft.

That’s just me though and I love Hopkins.

I still think MP comes back and I would expect him to play better than last year.

I can see us staying like this and taking a receiver in round 1

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly. We could act like pussies in(potentially) the final season of Lamar, or we could just fucking go for it and try to do something big before we blow it up. I can’t really imagine Lamar getting the offer he wants from Steve if he doesn’t win a ring this year, and by then it’s tag and trade time.

Nfl franchises are cyclical, maximize your window, when the window closes you liquidate and begin planning to build your next window. Striving to just be “competitive” every season and hoping for the best has worked for the chiefs and that’s it, but we don’t have mahomes and Andy Reid, if you wanna get over the hump you gotta give it a push.

i mean if lamar's sticking around long-term and these guys implode, that's the scenario where it gives you some grief
but if lamar's got 1 year left as a raven then it works out great...
if either of these guys pan out then it works out great...

ironically the worst possible outcome with those 2 specific signings combined is if lamar resigns and those 2 suck...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
lol when did I say he doesn't want it? I'd suggest you re-read what I said thoroughly and then you'll see a different conclusion. IF Lamar isn't here, IF Lamar isn't here, IF Lamar isn't here (re-read that a few more times and it'll sink in), I don't think he would want to be here.

I clearly laid out why I don't want him here. Tons of injury concerns, older, costly, and we're still just playing with one football. Not two footballs. Not three footballs. Not four footballs. One football.

I'm bitching about fans wanting Hopkins because, if we acquired him, there's a large probability fans will wake up mid season and realize "fuck, one of these guys is pissed because he's not getting the ball enough", blame everybody and anybody but themselves, and then realize we have holes elsewhere on the roster that weren't filled. And then blame EDC for things they praised him for.
Or basically just normal fan hypocrisy.

Today... I don't think WR is our shittiest position on the roster at all. Actually think you'd have a tough time making that argument entirely at this point.
1. Corner is easily the shittiest position on the roster for me today, since you have Marlon and a bunch of guys who haven't played a ton and totally unproven. Our entire CB group behind Marlon is basically the comp to Duvernay at WR. Gee, I wonder why we were in on Slay before we were in on basically any of the other receivers.
2. Our Dline, which I actually kind of like more than others, today, is heavily reliant on a 3rd rounder from last year and Pierce, who missed the whole season. With basically no depth.
3. What is there to love about our pass rush group? Houston and Campbell represented a large portion of our pass rush. Neither is on the roster, and at least one won't be returning. We have a gigantic amount of eggs in the Oweh/Ojabo basket right now, and neither of those guys has proven they can be a premier rusher.

Now you're going to tell me that we can address a lot of these in the draft, which I agree. We could also just address WR in the draft also. That would be something we could do, too.
So it’s only okay to target players that you say it’s okay to target. Got it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So it’s only okay to target players that you say it’s okay to target. Got it.
Well yeah. That's kind of the entire point of this. Should I emphasize we target players that I don't want? Or players that other people want but can't justify even having the opinion that they want them?
What the hell do you think "I'd be disappointed if we did trade for him" means, exactly?
What would happen if we only targeted players that you wanted? Or literally anybody else who's not in charge with running a football team? Fucking 2-15 would be a miracle.

I guess I'll just spend the next few months pandering to the lowest common denominator. If you think it was insufferable before, just wait. I can dumb it down a lot, lot, lot more...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well yeah. That's kind of the entire point of this. Should I emphasize we target players that I don't want? Or players that other people want but can't justify even having the opinion that they want them?
What the hell do you think "I'd be disappointed if we did trade for him" means, exactly?
What would happen if we only targeted players that you wanted? Or literally anybody else who's not in charge with running a football team? Fucking 2-15 would be a miracle.

I guess I'll just spend the next few months pandering to the lowest common denominator. If you think it was insufferable before, just wait. I can dumb it down a lot, lot, lot more...
……okay

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
87504112-B037-446C-B7C2-01F90D73C65B.png

Nurps is a go for launch.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

What do we think this means?

Think we actually intend on taking one of those WRs. If you don't go RD1 you've really only got a shot at Mingo.

CBs make sense. Seems like only Banks was missing from that list. Maybe they're low on him. Maybe they feel they know him well

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol everyone is having fun with the Ravens will hold a 3pm press conference to celebrate the organizations 20 year partnership with M&T Bank AND they have a special announcement to make lmao