• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
it reminded me of that as well, but everytime I hear of a child drowning at a home pool I think of my little cousin. It was over 50 years ago but she she drowned also.
Pool safety is super important with little ones and even then accidents still occur. Unfortunately this happens more often than people realize.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Its also so funny to see how stupid these media personalities are. Kyle Brandt was gassing up Zay Flowers the whole predraft process, was basically sucking his dick when he came on their show. Then today he says Zay Flowers, that's a BC WR which no one has seen in years no one even knows if he can play.

I am not saying anyone should assert any rookie is going to be good, but like its just so funny how easily people will change their tune on things to fit some particular narrative.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Its also so funny to see how stupid these media personalities are. Kyle Brandt was gassing up Zay Flowers the whole predraft process, was basically sucking his dick when he came on their show. Then today he says Zay Flowers, that's a BC WR which no one has seen in years no one even knows if he can play.

I am not saying anyone should assert any rookie is going to be good, but like its just so funny how easily people will change their tune on things to fit some particular narrative.
They get their talking points, then they perform whatever mental gymnastics and backpedaling needed to talk those points on any given day

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good morning football is very skeptical that we are better than any number of the teams in the AFC.
So here's the thing I'd say...
What position groups are we currently better at today than last year? Is it not basically just the WR group? Which, while I like what we've done, is effectively in a rookie first rounder and a guy who's played very little football in two years.

Like I mean if we just go through the roster, why is the 2023 team better than 2022 currently? Most of the work we've done has purely been just to keep guys we already had. We are, at least today, significantly worse in the secondary (we lost Peters and Clark, and effectively haven't replaced either). Is there literally any other position group that people could patently say is better today than it was 9 months ago? Because I don't see it.

I'm not even saying we're not a competitor, because I think we are. But like why would you think other people would think that?
I think any truly objective football watcher would not have us as a top three team in the AFC. I think 50/50 objective viewers would put Cincinnati, KC and Buffalo ahead of us. I think Buffalo is going to have a rougher year than most, but its pretty clear everybody is staring straight up at Cincy and KC until shown otherwise.

Then it just becomes a question of how you view the offseasons for other teams. I think most people would agree that Cleveland, Miami and the Jets have pretty loaded rosters. Some holes, but no major one's. If they get 17 weeks of mostly quality QB play, I think its hard to argue they're not at least as good as the Ravens. If any of those teams made a deep playoff run or even won their division, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

What's going to make or break the 2023 Ravens is a) what the offense looks like under Monken and b) Lamar's health. If both are great, we're a contender. If one of them isn't, we are not. Because this isn't the offseason with the solid "personnel upgrades".

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
So here's the thing I'd say...
What position groups are we currently better at today than last year? Is it not basically just the WR group? Which, while I like what we've done, is effectively in a rookie first rounder and a guy who's played very little football in two years.

Like I mean if we just go through the roster, why is the 2023 team better than 2022 currently? Most of the work we've done has purely been just to keep guys we already had. We are, at least today, significantly worse in the secondary (we lost Peters and Clark, and effectively haven't replaced either). Is there literally any other position group that people could patently say is better today than it was 9 months ago? Because I don't see it.

I'm not even saying we're not a competitor, because I think we are. But like why would you think other people would think that?
I think any truly objective football watcher would not have us as a top three team in the AFC. I think 50/50 objective viewers would put Cincinnati, KC and Buffalo ahead of us. I think Buffalo is going to have a rougher year than most, but its pretty clear everybody is staring straight up at Cincy and KC until shown otherwise.

Then it just becomes a question of how you view the offseasons for other teams. I think most people would agree that Cleveland, Miami and the Jets have pretty loaded rosters. Some holes, but no major one's. If they get 17 weeks of mostly quality QB play, I think its hard to argue they're not at least as good as the Ravens. If any of those teams made a deep playoff run or even won their division, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

What's going to make or break the 2023 Ravens is a) what the offense looks like under Monken and b) Lamar's health. If both are great, we're a contender. If one of them isn't, we are not. Because this isn't the offseason with the solid "personnel upgrades".

Most of our upgrades is going to come from health. IMO

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Most of our upgrades is going to come from health. IMO
And thats fine. We are largely counting on that. My point is that "outsiders" who would look at this team are going to factor in health concerns already, and they're also going to look at the health of other teams.

Good morning football is very skeptical that we are better than any number of the teams in the AFC.
Nothing wrong with flying under the radar but I’ve seen a couple power rankings, post draft, and both had us at 4 in AFC behind KC, Cincy, and Buffalo. For whatever that’s worth.

On offense I think we are in as good shape as we have ever been, at least on paper. On D we need help/depth at the CB position and maybe depth at OLB. Still ?? about Queens status this year but im hoping he’s here until at least next year. The one position where we are at a net loss is interior D line. Campbell was in decline but his leadership among that group will be missed.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Twitter is all over *** this morning for how wrong he's been on everything Lamar over the last several months. Everything is right in the world again.
Florio should get a few too. He was predicting all kinds of doom and despair for Lamar because he doesn't have an agent.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Nothing wrong with flying under the radar but I’ve seen a couple power rankings, post draft, and both had us at 4 in AFC behind KC, Cincy, and Buffalo. For whatever that’s worth.

On offense I think we are in as good shape as we have ever been, at least on paper. On D we need help/depth at the CB position and maybe depth at OLB. Still ?? about Queens status this year but im hoping he’s here until at least next year. The one position where we are at a net loss is interior D line. Campbell was in decline but his leadership among that group will be missed.
But even there we get Pierce back as the veteran. The roster will look pretty strong everywhere once we sign a corner or two.