• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Why do you need contract language to allow for commercials? Why would that be a part of the contract?

Also, where does the "take less" mantra stop? Is it only for the most expensive players, or does it apply to cheaper guys too? Like why should the guy playing for $2M not take less and play for $1M?

The other "fallacy" is that taking less $ doesn't mean the team will even spend the $ or that it will necessarily translate into a better team. They could spend it on a player who sucks, gets injured, etc., or the Owner could just opt to not spend it at all.
Agreed. Players should not be taking less than the maximum to donate it back to the billionaire owners. Fans only ask them to because of the salary cap but that, in itself, is a very owner-friendly rule that puts an upper limit on players contracts. ( It also makes the league more competitive and entertaining, which is another benefit for the owners in TV revenue.)

Fans hope players (usually QBs) take less to be 'competitive', but their job is to be the best player they can be. It's the GM and coaches job to put the other pieces around the expensive player to build a winning roster.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
When tf is that 0 Smith jersey gonna be available?!? After seeing this IM SOLD.
IMG_5185.jpeg

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean OK, but what's that going to tell you? That Burrow carried the team for the entirety of the regular season and then somebody else stepped up in the playoffs? Why would that be a problem? Or is the argument that the defense, which basically didn't show up much during the season, miraculously shows up in the playoffs?

If we add context to it, its even worse.
Like the 2022 Bengals D played Tyler Huntley at home, an extremely limited Bills offense in the snow, and then lost to Mahomes. The defense did exactly what you thought it would do against two pedestrian offenses (with weather) at that point. It played good but not great.

The 2021 Bengals D played Derek Carr and Ryan Tannehill in the playoffs, then won a pedestrian defensive game against Mahomes.

Like at least 3-4 of their playoff games the last two years, they played average or below average offenses. In some cases, anemic ones.
Burrow wasn’t the reason the Bengals beat us though. My only point is people act like he’s been dominant in the playoffs, those same people ignore Josh Allen going 9TDs and 0INTs in two games. He wasn’t good in the AFCCG this year and he wasn’t good in the Super Bowl.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think number retiring is stupid. if ur no longer on the team, ur no longer on the team.
But it’s clearly a tradition in sports reserved for the special players in a franchise, I thought it was disgusting letting Brown take Flacco’s number, and Ojabo sure as hell doesn’t deserve to wear 55

But it’s clearly a tradition in sports reserved for the special players in a franchise, I thought it was disgusting letting Brown take Flacco’s number, and Ojabo sure as hell doesn’t deserve to wear 55

Even as a fan who suffered through the QB purgatory before Flacco I don’t think #5 should be “retired”. 52, 20, 75 and 55 were all on a different level

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Even as a fan who suffered through the QB purgatory before Flacco I don’t think #5 should be “retired”. 52, 20, 75 and 55 were all on a different level
I honestly think we should have, that super bowl run was historic and he stopped the carousel and brought stability to our franchise. It’s an argument for the HoF, just our teams number bank. It just felt too soon in any case. Oh well, at least Hollywood rewarded us by trashing the coaches and demanding a trade

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I honestly think we should have, that super bowl run was historic and he stopped the carousel and brought stability to our franchise. It’s an argument for the HoF, just our teams number bank. It just felt too soon in any case. Oh well, at least Hollywood rewarded us by trashing the coaches and demanding a trade
The run was great. Flacco wasn't. Retiring numbers should be for players that met a level of play and maintained it.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
You all would love Burrow as your QB lol

I honestly wonder how many of you would still be calling Lamar a rb if he wasn't on our team... hell, if he didn't get that deal done

I’ll admit his run was historic and he did provide stability at the QB position but besides that run he was never that dude. He was anywhere from above average to mediocre and inconsistent as hell.
Retirement of numbers should be for HoF guys and Flacco is certainly not that. Ravens ring of honor? sure I could see that but he wasn’t good enough to the retire #5 imo.

You all would love Burrow as your QB lol

I honestly wonder how many of you would still be calling Lamar a rb if he wasn't on our team... hell, if he didn't get that deal done

I’ll keep it 100. If we lived in an alternate universe and the Ravens had Burrow and Cinci had Lamar… I think I would love Burrow’s bitch ass, however I think Lamar would still be my favorite player in the game just like Vick was back in the day.

but luckily we have Lamar so it’s fuck Joe Burrow haha

Last edited: